Dive/Slide instinct

MauriSSio

Part Time Player
I don't deny that there are times where you flat out just have to dive after the ball. But if you can cut the number of times you need to do this, you'll be better off in the long run. It's like with Marvin Bernard on the Giants years and years ago. Some people thought he was this great outfielder because he would make all these diving catches. Game after game, all these diving catches. Well, the reason why he was diving so much was because he took ****ty routes to the ball. LOL.

So to the OP, as I said earlier, if I were you I'd just get as much OF practice as I could. Work on that first step, getting a good jump on the ball, taking the most efficient route, etc. Then when you've got that down, start working on your dives. Because there is a way to go about it... there are definitely things you need to work on... like not landing on your wrist in an awkward way, or making sure that that finger (if you play with your finger outside the glove) is tucked in so you don't bend it back on certain plays.

Probably the most important thing to learn: when NOT to dive.

i agree. Almost every single time a dive is made in the outfield, it is not really needed. Most dives require you to think about diving and timing the dive before it happens (obviously) and those split seconds are better served on sprinting instead and getting to the ball. As others have said, most of the best outfielders are the ones that arent exactly flashy (edmunds was good but the biggest showboat ever.He would practically stop running, go into a light jog and then dive to try to make itt look better and it bit him in the ass more than a few times), thats why its better to work on reading the ball and actually getting there. Plus, youre in a much better position to throw standing up then laying out in the grass in the outfield.

Im an IF player and diving comes by instinct there for me but when I play OF its different. I almost have to think about the play before the ball is hit. Like if the ball is it here Im gonna do this. Maybe try that and make the decision in your mind before hand that if its a shallow ball your gonna lay out for it and give it a try. Maybe youve done this IDK.. Ive done it and it works ive dove for some balls in the gap and successfully caught em. so GL sir.

hitmachine44

Habitual Linestepper
Maybe you guys can help me out with this.

This year is my first year of playing Men's League softball. Last 3 years I've played rec league beer games on Sunday mornings...swing what you bring, 270 foot fence, get drunk, no balls and strikes. Basically as informal as it gets.

This year I'm playing in an an alright league. No real mashers hitting the ball 400' but a few guys putting them over 10ft fences at 300' with metals (all metal league).

I've been hitting the ball pretty well so far and making solid contact consistently, driving in runs, etc.

My predicament is on defense. I'm a huge baseball nerd so I know the fundamentals like the back of my hand, I work on my swing all the time, do throwing/bat speed exercises. I catch everything that's hit to me and I range pretty well in all directions. My judgement of the ball has come a long way. This is my first real experience in the OF against guys who get solid hits.

How did you develop your diving/sliding instinct? Tonight I played LF and 2 balls were hit to me that if I had slid to catch I would have had easily, but I didn't, and one of them bounced off my shin. Both led to runs, and we lost the game by 1 after tying it up in the bottom of the 7th.

Are there any drills or exercises anyone does for this?

I never played baseball in school so I never got a feel for diving or sliding...but my defensive game needs work, especially in this area.

Sorry for the long thread, thanks for your help...

Blue statement is obviously flase.

89FoxBody

Addicted to Softballfans
lol i meant hit in the air toward me...the ball in question was a sinking liner that i had to run in to get but I couldn't quite reach it.

ball go far

Addicted to Softballfans
catch or do not catch...there is no try

i got my sick defense skills by countless hours of go fult tilt during BP during my years of babseball, perfect practice makes perfect son