Do broken-in 454's or XL's suffer from mushy barrel syndrome?

Magnus_CA

SHABLIZZLE!
I had a bunch of Worth's a while back (black Titan, Mayhem M7, red Reload) but I gave up swinging them because once broken in the barrel's went mushy. It almost felt to me that despite getting solid contact everythign was a miss hit. I switched over to Mizuno's because they stay stiff throughout their (albeit short) life, have good pop, and are typically reasonably priced. I especially like the cracking noise they make upon contact.

Last night I swung my buddies' 454 reload and aside from it being an ounce heavy I really liked the feel of it, the sound, and the pop. However, this one was basically fresh out of the wrapper and I haven't had the most positive experience in the past with Worth bats.

To those that have broken in their 454's have you noticed the barrel's have gone soft or mushy?

How about XL's?

tony67

Can't even buy a hit!
my 454 has about 800 hits on it now and doesn't have a mushy barrel. It does how ever sound like a gun with a loud crack sound!

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you thought those bats were mushy I don't see how you can think the 454 isn't. It feels softer to me than the bats you mentioned. I've only swung the balanced, reload, and resmondo 454s though.

Bombdropper10

Addicted to Softballfans
my ressy 454 has about 300-400 swings on it an it doesnt feel mushy at all. still hittin great an sounds like a shotgun too. love this bat

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
i think just about any broke in bat feels pretty mushy in the sweetspot after break in, other than eastons. my DUO is hitting bombs and it feels pretty stiff in the sweetspot. its got probably 4-500 hits on it.

Magnus_CA

SHABLIZZLE!
i think just about any broke in bat feels pretty mushy in the sweetspot after break in, other than eastons. my DUO is hitting bombs and it feels pretty stiff in the sweetspot. its got probably 4-500 hits on it.

I agree with you on Eastons and I have yet to swing a Mizuno that feels mushy, even after being broken in. Demarini's = mush.

LKGRenegade22

I Be Hitting It
You should have stuck with the bats...when they go "dead/soft" if you keep BP'ing them they come back hotter until they finally bust.

Kimberpb

Extra Hitter
My 454 Filthy has about 1000 hits on it and still feels about the same as it did after 100 -150 hits. Has a nice rattle to it but wouldn't say its mushy.

tony67

Can't even buy a hit!
This. I'm not a fan of the 454, just didn't impress me like the duo or xl did. My xl does have a soft barrel with about 600 cuts but is still on fire

I'm just the opposite. I didn't like the xl but I love the 454.

jermlandro

Addicted to Softballfans
My 454 reload has gone soft as hell. I quit swinging it in games and have gone back to my fulk. I've only got about 150 swings in it.