USSSA Do you have to ask for time

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
In utrip do you still have to verbally all for time and have it awarded by the ump or is it automatically given if you step out of the box now?

Pootytang

Yes you need to ask for time and be granted time. Otherwise if the pitcher pitches it will be called a strike.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
The umpire should not allow a pitch to be thrown until the batter has both feet in the box and is ready to receive a pitch.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Rule 10, Section 10 says: "D. The umpire shall suspend play whenever a batter or pitcher steps out of position for a legitimate reason; the umpire should not permit either to continually repeat this action."

That's the only thing I could find about granting time. It doesn't say they have to, but says they should if it's a legitimate reason.

USA softball is even clearer. Rule 7, Section 3 Batting Position, F says" After the ball is live, the batter may not step out of the batter's box to stop play unless time has been granted by the umpire.
EFFECT:
1. All play shall continue.
2. The pitch will be judged a ball or strike by the umpire.

Most of the USSSA I've played out here, you have to ask to get time but most players ask before they step out so it's rarely an issue.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
It's automatic assuming the pitcher hasn't presented the ball yet but I will be counting. If I get to ten it's a strike without a pitch being thrown. If you do it after every pitch my count is going to get quicker.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
This used to be one of those strange rules unique to utrip. Kind of like how in NSA if you let a pitched ball strike you, no matter where you were in the batter's box, it was called a strike. That was around 2005, but you get my point. The first year I pitched utrip the rule was that the batter had to ask for time, and if they simply stepped out of the box you could go ahead and pitch and it could be called a strike. I assume this was to speed the game along.

Since there seems to be about 75% agreement from umps who may do utrip, I assume utrip doesn't expressly spell this out in their rules anymore. Thanks.

Iceman6409

I was taught that anyone can request timeout for any reason. However the umpire is the only person that can grant it. In the case of a batter stepping out of the box I find most batters do for one reason or another. Unless the pitcher has started his pitching motion I pretty much grant them time. It's usually only for a few seconds.

However a more common scenario where I do not grant automatic time is the near end of a play. Example - batter gets a base hit. Runner on 1st gets to second and heads to third and rounds 3rd base and stops and watches what is going on. He/she might be 1-4 steps of the base and has not committed one way or the other. Infielder receives the ball and immediately calls time. That runner on third is still out there, off the base, maybe or maybe not trying to make another play. If I see that happening then time is not granted until I see what the play brings. Maybe the runner ends up racing for home. Maybe the throw comes back to third and the runner gets tagged out, etc etc etc.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
It's automatic assuming the pitcher hasn't presented the ball yet but I will be counting. If I get to ten it's a strike without a pitch being thrown. If you do it after every pitch my count is going to get quicker.

Really? U-trip has a rule requiring the pitcher to "present" the ball?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I was taught that anyone can request timeout for any reason. However the umpire is the only person that can grant it. In the case of a batter stepping out of the box I find most batters do for one reason or another. Unless the pitcher has started his pitching motion I pretty much grant them time. It's usually only for a few seconds.

However a more common scenario where I do not grant automatic time is the near end of a play. Example - batter gets a base hit. Runner on 1st gets to second and heads to third and rounds 3rd base and stops and watches what is going on. He/she might be 1-4 steps of the base and has not committed one way or the other. Infielder receives the ball and immediately calls time. That runner on third is still out there, off the base, maybe or maybe not trying to make another play. If I see that happening then time is not granted until I see what the play brings. Maybe the runner ends up racing for home. Maybe the throw comes back to third and the runner gets tagged out, etc etc etc.
Ball is in the infield and the runner has stopped advancing. Time should be called at that point. Especially if it's one man and you're out where you should be. It lets you turn around and hustle back behind the plate for the next pitch.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
rule 10.10.D: D. The umpire shall suspend play whenever a batter or pitcher steps out of position for a legitimate reason; the umpire should not permit either to continually repeat this action.
And Rule 9.1: Sec. 1. THE BALL IS LEGALLY PUT IN PLAY BY THE UMPIRE: A. At the start of the game when the pitcher has the ball while standing at the initial pitcher position on the pitcher’s plate or in the pitching area, the batter in the batter’s box, the catcher in catcher’s box and the umpire signals “play.” B. In each instance thereafter when the ball becomes dead and the above procedure is repeated.
If the batter isn't in the box you can't put the ball in play.