Do you lift before a game?

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
I usually don't lift before a game, but these days I'm playing 3-4 days a week and it's really cutting into my workouts.

BTW: I'm old AF.

Country469

real talk here

if your workout is affecting your play in a 7 inning game of slow pitch softball you are so out of shape you should stop worrying about ball and focus on your health.

Redsfan

I only play one day per week now so I don't normally lift on game day. But when I was younger I would because I played 3 days a week. I wouldn't think it would hurt now as long as I'm not trying to max out every exercise.

Country469

Or my workout is just that good!

if you can't swing a bat 4 times and make some throws and run a few times afterward, you're really over training at that point and hurting yourself more than your are gaining.

if you wanna post workouts or whatever I can take a look, but I lift damn near every day of the week regardless what I do, because it shouldnt be an issue like that.

jhsfive

Outstanding Mutha****er
i don't go hard on game days but I do something to get my body going the morning of. Run a mile or so, some lighter weights maybe, etc.

BOLTMAN21

Manager
if you can't swing a bat 4 times and make some throws and run a few times afterward, you're really over training at that point and hurting yourself more than your are gaining.

if you wanna post workouts or whatever I can take a look, but I lift damn near every day of the week regardless what I do, because it shouldnt be an issue like that.
Depending on what your goal is when training, if you are working out to grow muscle and be stronger, you should be lifting to failure and eating accordingly. Functional, maintaining etc would be different.

THESHOE

Starting Player
If I do it's back day that coexists the best. Somehting about the pull motion and swing coexist the best. Learned this from a PT friend who plays years ago, he wasn't wrong.

Or, I will go in and do lots of rear delt flyes and chest flyes to open up and stretch my upper. That's usually more when feeling sore and I need to loosen up.

Country469

Depending on what your goal is when training, if you are working out to grow muscle and be stronger, you should be lifting to failure and eating accordingly. Functional, maintaining etc would be different.

What does that have to do with playing ball? If you are lifting so long and so hard that you can't play an hour softball game, you're over training. Its not like softball is remotely taxing on the body.

dunkky

mix with yoga. do yoga on a playing day. or skip the whole thing and just do a few dry swing using jimmer stick or weighted bat.

for me, i like to lift. I agree with country, it doesn't really impact my game if i only play one or two games per week.

I suck either way with or without lifting same day. lol Softball gives me nothing. At least lifting yields me strength and bigger muscle. So i got my priority set.

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
Alright, I'm going to start lifting on game day and monitor the results.

If it turns my 301' bombs into warning track power I'll stop.

JN137

I usually workout on game nights with no issues. Actually, I prefer it! The only thing I try to keep away from gameday as much as possible is leg day! Like you said, I play 3 nights a week (Tues, Thurs, Fri) + Saturdays if we are playing a tourney. So I keep leg day to Sundays, to give them time to recover before using them again. But I pretty frequently will do a workout late in the afternoon (3-4pm) on game nights and have no issues at all. Softball isn't really physically demanding in the same way that weight training is. After all a body in motion stays in motion right?

Honestly, if your workout is so intense that it prevents you from swinging a softball bat properly 3-4 times later that same day, you may want to re-evaluate at least one of those activities lol

Aziatik

Crossfit 9am - Game 7, 8, 9 or 10 pm I do that no problem, murph memorial day (run 1 mile 100 pull up 200 push up 300 squat 1 mile run, for time) @ 9am and a game @ 7pm just a few weeks ago. If you are talking just a matter of hours before a game, I´d probably pass on that. At least 6 hours of recovery for me.

Last edited:

mrchristy31

My arm is such a mess, if I do lift on game days with any intensity whatsoever. It is expected that I will throw out my arm and set back ball and lifting a couple of weeks. As for the legs, knee and achillies also pay the price.

lakeyale13

Manager
real talk here

if your workout is affecting your play in a 7 inning game of slow pitch softball you are so out of shape you should stop worrying about ball and focus on your health.

I could play satisfactory after a work out, but not perform optimally. After completely blowing out chest, back, arms and legs I would need several hours of recovery to be able to play at an optimal level.

Now, I am also 43 and lift harder and heavier than the average bear. If someone is just doing a set or two for a muscle group and is out of the gym in 45 min then that is a different scenario. But my lifts average around an hour and a half.

lakeyale13

Manager
I have been lifting for 30 years and the preponderance of data all points in the direction that for muscle growth and development, what HAS to occur, is muscle exhaustion. Period. End of story. Furthermore, a recent study was published in the last year or two that concluded that it doesn't really matter how that "exhaustion" occurs, as long as it does occur. It could be heavy weight and low reps or low weight and 100 reps...as long as the muscle was exhausted.

Thus, unless you are literally on steroids, testosterone, or any other performance enhancing drug, you cannot exhaust a muscle and expect to perform optimally. Not saying you cannot play a game. I'm just saying it defies logic to say one can lift a muscle group properly and then go use that muscle group that was exhausted and not have it effect performance. That is just a fallacy to think otherwise.

Country469

Time under load is the key. Destroy and rebuild.

I'd venture to bet the vast majority of people who lift hard and then have trouble playing later;
1. likely did not stretch post lift, or pre game enough.
2. likely are not in great shape to begin with or eat poorly, if you lift regularly you shouldn't be nearly as sore as the first few times you start back.
3. if its not soreness from lactic acid build up, its likely an actual injury. Overuse, or bad form can cause this. That will affect performance on the softball field too, because its an actual injury.

If you are going to lift for 2 hours hard with minimal breaks and go to a softball game directly after and expect to have optimal performance that is crazy sure. But unless you pitch the whole game, the likely hood you need much energy or can't generate enough force to get the job done a few times in softball is minimal.

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
I lift 5 sometimes 6 days a week so not lifting on league night is pretty much out of the question. I also don't give a **** how I play on league night. Its pretty much just a night to hangout with my friends and have a beer or two after the game.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I also don't give a **** how I play on league night. Its pretty much just a night to hangout with my friends and have a beer or two after the game.

Finally, some common sense.

Guys talking about not lifting on game day so they can "perform optimally" and impress the fat chicks in their coed league, Jesus...

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will say I drank pre workout one night instead of an energy drink and I played like crap.

EOD123

I lift Mon, Weds, Fri and play league Tuesday/Thurs. If I don't have a Tournament on the weekend then I do some sort of workout on Sat and Sunday as well, mostly out of boredom. I don't know if workouts on game days would negatively effect me or not. I just don't do it so I don't have anything to blame a poor performance on.

That being said, Daniel Vogelbach on the Mariners lifts before games and he crushes.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I lift 5 sometimes 6 days a week so not lifting on league night is pretty much out of the question. I also don't give a **** how I play on league night. Its pretty much just a night to hangout with my friends and have a beer or two after the game.

Yeah but you stink anyway, so it doesn't really count