Does anyone have a well-used Rawlings HOH Jtan glove?

NYC

Swag on 100.
I would like to see a very well used rawlings hoh tan glove but in Japan Tan. I know how Horween looks when aged and beat up after years of use but I'm not sure if I've seen many examples of how a Jtan glove looks after many years of use and abuse. Thanks.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
I could probably get Anna's (Ex) boyfriend:D:D:D:D to shoot me a pic of his very worn JTan Pro1000, maybe?

NYC

Swag on 100.
Thanks, did he ever clean and condition it? I know IF gloves look worse than OF gloves after the same time of use.

mpk

Extra Hitter
Used it a couple seasons coaching, 1 season playing. Conditioned it a couple times.
948D1260-882C-4F55-9231-DB711545BA54.jpeg

MaverickAH

I'm curious as to what is your definition of durable?

Is how a glove looks after use your definition? Does discoloration mean less durable? Does fading?

There is little to nothing that you can tell about durability from any of those pictures IMHO. It seems to me that you're more concerned about visual appearance rather than actual durability.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Maverick brings up a great point, cause honestly in my mind I equate durability to how a glove visually looks after use! My 30+ year old A2000 XLO visually looks pretty well wore out but it’s still anything but shot, it’s still as tough as nails and capable as any of my new HOH’s! That old XLO has tons of character.

Reactions: mpk

NYC

Swag on 100.
I'm curious as to what is your definition of durable?

Is how a glove looks after use your definition? Does discoloration mean less durable? Does fading?

There is little to nothing that you can tell about durability from any of those pictures IMHO. It seems to me that you're more concerned about visual appearance rather than actual durability.
How fast the leather breaks down. Certain colors/tanning seem to break down faster than others.

mpk

Extra Hitter
Maverick brings up a great point, cause honestly in my mind I equate durability to how a glove visually looks after use! My 30+ year old A2000 XLO visually looks pretty well wore out but it’s still anything but shot, it’s still as tough as nails and capable as any of my new HOH’s! That old XLO has tons of character.

This is more what I was thinking.

I'm slightly disappointed by how easily mine scuffs rather than developing a patina but looks aside, it still has TONS of life left and that is one of the reasons I love it so much.

MaverickAH

How fast the leather breaks down. Certain colors/tanning seem to break down faster than others.

There are a whole lot of variables & I hate making generalizations because there are always exceptions. Let's just say that the more processes the leather goes though, the more likely it is to break down quicker.
  • Any color that requires the leather to go through a bleaching process in order to get the leather to a uniform color so that it can be dyed can contribute to earlier break down.
  • Starting leather quality & thickness.
  • Final product build quality.
  • Environment.
  • User interface (the most volatile part of the equation).
I have seen certain grades of kip leather that adapt to color well & still maintain their structure but usually they are a PITA to break in. Most gloves I've seen that I would consider to have been truly broken down were of the cheaper variety or have not been maintained properly.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Any color that requires the leather to go through a bleaching process in order to get the leather to a uniform color so that it can be dyed can contribute to earlier break down.

I'd venture to say that all hides at a tannery would go through the same processing regardless of their final colour. People tend to think of tan, blonde, light brown, etc. as "natural" leather colours, but if you tanned a hide without any dye the leather's natural colour would be an off-white, pukey gray. "Tan" is a dyed colour, no different from royal blue or bright red. It's just more ingrained in our heads as the most natural colour for a baseball glove because it's been used the longest.

Here's a little trivia question for everybody: exactly why has tan/light brown been used for so long?

Environment.

The single worst scenario for a leather ball glove in my experience: playing in wet dirt, getting your glove covered in said dirt, then not cleaning it off and allowing it to dry on the leather. Could just be the stuff they use on the infields around here, but I find if it dries on a glove it just sucks the moisture out of the leather.

MaverickAH

I'd venture to say that all hides at a tannery would go through the same processing regardless of their final colour. People tend to think of tan, blonde, light brown, etc. as "natural" leather colours, but if you tanned a hide without any dye the leather's natural colour would be an off-white, pukey gray. "Tan" is a dyed colour, no different from royal blue or bright red. It's just more ingrained in our heads as the most natural colour for a baseball glove because it's been used the longest.

Here's a little trivia question for everybody: exactly why has tan/light brown been used for so long?

The single worst scenario for a leather ball glove in my experience: playing in wet dirt, getting your glove covered in said dirt, then not cleaning it off and allowing it to dry on the leather. Could just be the stuff they use on the infields around here, but I find if it dries on a glove it just sucks the moisture out of the leather.

If what you say about color is true, every color leather would have the same properties. We all know that isn't the case. What sense would it make to bleach a leather that's going to be darker that its original color?

A glove drying out is far from the worst thing that can happen. Playing in very warm weather, sweating profusely, then putting your glove while still wet into a bag & then into the trunk of your car where the temperature can easily be above 140 degrees is far worse. It's like a petri dish full of acids & bacteria.

Most complexes use dirt that contains a drying agent if they need to get fields ready after raining. Why you don't attend to you equipment immediately after playing is the question that begs to be asked! It's interesting that most will clean the dirt & mud off of their shoes before leaving but not their gloves...…

Last edited:

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
why would you bleach a leather that's gonna be darker? uniformity. i assume that natural variation in hides would make even a black glove have darker spots

Hiltz

Built for comfort
If what you say about color is true, every color leather would have the same properties. We all know that isn't the case. What sense would it make to bleach a leather that's going to be darker that its original color?

why would you bleach a leather that's gonna be darker? uniformity. i assume that natural variation in hides would make even a black glove have darker spots

Hides aren't "bleached", but they are processed to make the surface more uniform and receptive to dying. Leather naturally has dense spots, smooth spots, areas where the pores are more open, etc. that will take dye differently. Even a black glove would look splotchy without the pre-dye processing.

Most complexes use dirt that contains a drying agent if they need to get fields ready after raining. Why you don't attend to you equipment immediately after playing is the question that begs to be asked! It's interesting that most will clean the dirt & mud off of their shoes before leaving but not their gloves...…

I wipe my glove off every time I use it. If it gets wet/dirty I clean it with a damp cloth, let it dry at room temperature, then condition it. Even if it doesn't get really dirty I'll typically clean my glove with Lexol orange and condition it every week or two. My teammates make fun of me and say I must be part Japanese. Whatever, I have a 7 year old A2000 that I game 2-3 times a week that still looks brand new.

NYC

Swag on 100.
Just revisiting this to ask if anyone has a well used Rich Tan PP glove they wanted to show off.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Just revisiting this to ask if anyone has a well used Rich Tan PP glove they wanted to show off.
Had this college player's catcher's mitt come in from Pennsylvania. I relaced it in tan.

280d4h.jpg

21abwpv.jpg