Other does "might makes right" ?

CACF

A player who was on 2nd base left it for 3rd base. He changed his mind and came back to 2nd. The 2nd baseman had the ball in his hand. The player shoved the baseman out of his way with his hands, and stood on the base saying he was safe. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Is the player considered “out” for shoving ?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
A player who was on 2nd base left it for 3rd base. He changed his mind and came back to 2nd. The 2nd baseman had the ball in his hand. The player shoved the baseman out of his way with his hands, and stood on the base saying he was safe. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Is the player considered “out” for shoving ?

I would consider this a crash. Runner is out and ejected.

CACF

Thank you for your answer which shows a true fair-play spirit. We cannot allow "entitlement" issues take over fair-play.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
What I'm picturing here is the runner returning and the second baseman standing in his path. The runner then shoves the second baseman back, and then steps onto 2nd base.

Maybe I'd have to see it, but anytime I hear about one player "shoving" another, my immediate thought is "toss the ****er."

Duriisimo

Aguilucho
What I'm picturing here is the runner returning and the second baseman standing in his path. The runner then shoves the second baseman back, and then steps onto 2nd base.

Maybe I'd have to see it, but anytime I hear about one player "shoving" another, my immediate thought is "toss the ****er."

Mee too .

spos21ram

The Legend
That's an automatic ejection usually. I've only seen that type of play in a pick up game where the runner does this jokingly.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Your description leaves a lot to be desired which makes it really hard to give you a good answer. My understanding is the runner was not forced to advance on the play started for 3rd base but changed his mind turned around and went back to 2nd. The 2nd baseman had possession of the ball when the runner shoved the fielder and somehow through the contact of the fielder did not tag the runner(not sure how this could happen unless the fielder has his back to the play and if he had possession of the ball I have no idea why that would happen). You should know that no player is entitled to shove another player no matter the situation, with most decent umpires an intentional shove of another player gets the player tossed no matter the base running situation. At the same time, I can see a situation where the fielder moved into the path of the runner trying to catch an offline throw and the runner putting up his hands to try to avoid a violent collision. To give you a 100% correct answer we need a better good description of events or to have seen the play.

sjury

The Old Man
Played in a league with a shortstop that would shove people, quite forcibly off second when the ball came in from the outfield, to try and get them out. After the second week of complaining one guy was pushed off and called out, next time he went to second the SS was fielding a late throw and was pushed quite forcibly off the base. Runner ran to third, and then the fireworks began. The LD ended up suspending both players and attended the next three weeks of games to evaluate the umpire.

There is no room for pushing, hard slides, and other gorilla tactics.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
Played in a league with a shortstop that would shove people, quite forcibly off second when the ball came in from the outfield, to try and get them out. After the second week of complaining one guy was pushed off and called out, next time he went to second the SS was fielding a late throw and was pushed quite forcibly off the base. Runner ran to third, and then the fireworks began. The LD ended up suspending both players and attended the next three weeks of games to evaluate the umpire.

it would be awfully hard to be the BR and not want to deck the guy!!

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
A player who was on 2nd base left it for 3rd base. He changed his mind and came back to 2nd. The 2nd baseman had the ball in his hand. The player shoved the baseman out of his way with his hands, and stood on the base saying he was safe.

Sure he is safe. Safe at home while the rest of us continue the game.

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans

Guess I missed the memo on hard clean slides...