Any Does The Ejection Stand?

LIKEUCM

Want the group's feedback on the following: During a play an umpire blows a call. Let's say the umpire does not permit a run to score when runner overslid second base and was tagged out, for the third out, diving back to the bag, although the run crossed the plate before the tag. The umpire incorrectly ruled it as a force out, and acknowledged the run crossed before the tag. The umpire is working in a one man system, and has no partner to set him straight. After the play, the team gets upset and a player is ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct arguing the call. Before the next pitch, the Coach decides he should protest the call, as it is a misintrpretation of the playing rules. The protest is determined to be valid and the game is resumed with the run being permitted to score, and the game resuming from the end of the play in question. The team that won the protest now indicates that the ejected player should be permitted to participate in the continuation of the game, as the ejection came after the play. Their point being, since the game is being resumed from the point of interruption, the ejection can not be considered as valid, as everthing after the play is nullified when the protest is upheld. In this case the ruling is made on the field before the game continues, but what if this was league play and the protest had to be submitted in writing to be ruled on by the league officials, and a player was ejected later in the game for an act unrelated to this play. Would the ejection stand, or be waived off as it occurred after the play being protested....if the protest is upheld? The latter example may give you more cause to think, as a player might be ejected in the 5th inning in a game being played under protest for a call made in the third inning. If the protest is upheld, the team is saying that the 5th inning never happened.... My thoughts are you should not be ejected before, during, or after a protest, and all ejections should remain. What do you think, or have a rule to support one way or another.....

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
A blown call, no matter how egregious, is never cause for someone getting so unsportsmanlike that they get ejected. I would absolutely uphold the ejection, and if there's a suspension involved, I would not count the replayed game as one of those games.

Guys, it's simple - when (not if, but when) we make a mistake, just protest. Seriously, I'm not Max Headroom, and I don't mind the "P" word. I've seen so many teams work themselves into such a fuss that they miss an easy opportunity to have the call remedied by simply saying "we're playing under protest."

Iceman6409

We are told as umpires that if anyone wants to protest anything, ANYTHING to let the protest happen, mark the books as appropriate and let other people deal with it later. This way it calms down upset players right away because we let them get their way and protest. That is what they want and it makes them feel better a lot faster and calms everyone down. Game on. Most of the time, certainly not all the time, players will want judgement calls protested. Balls and strikes, safe or out, etc etc. Instead of non stop arguing back and forth which will normally add fuel to their fire let them protest, sign the back and a few hours later that player or team will get their day in court so to speak.

If an umpire incorrectly calls a rule then same situation. Don't argue with them. Mark it, sign it and move on. I have learned that when I get in those situations O make my stand and I let the player make their stand. I could be wrong and am always open to a "conversation" about it but if it gets more heated than that I shut them up and give them a minute to calm down and ask them if they want to protest. It's their right to. They get one chance to protest with me and I very clearly remind them to think through it very carefully because once the very next pitch is thrown there will be no more opportunity to protest that call. If they say yes then do it quickly and let them know it will be dealt with soon and you will both get your answer. And if it it ends up your call was wrong then you just learned something. Players ALWAYS think they know more than an umpire. Sometimes they do. My overall point is we let them protest, we make them happy by doing it quickly and we move on until later. Frustrations seem to calm down much more quickly that way and the resolution occurs somewhere else in a much calmer manner.