Any Double bag first base

I was playing first base, runner gets a large lead catcher throws down, my foot is on the orange bag. ball beats runner to first. ump calls runner safe. correct call?

few years ago had same thing but flyball to right field caught ball beat runner coming back to the bag errant throw took me to other side of the bag but i kept my foot on orange and was the same ruling from umpire. safe. are these different or same?

my understanding is that after the initial play there is no orange bag, it's all counted as one. correct?

MaverickAH

Most of the softball discussion on this board centers around slow pitch. If you're referring about any other version of the game (modified, fast pitch, etc......) you have to specify.

KannonsDad

**** you
Any time I've played with the orange "safety" base, the only time it is legally used is by the batter running through first. Defenders must use only the white bag. As others have said, you may have different local rules.

dtrotd

Coach
This is all kinds of confusing!!!
If the catcher threw down to 1st after a pitch, it's not a force play and you'd have to tag the runner not base unless you have some weird league specific rules which it sounds like you do already since you mentioned leadoffs!

The second scenario you mention is a correct call, the orange safety bag is not in play in that named situation.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
In both ASA and USSSA, once the batter-runner reaches first base, it becomes one big base. Either portion may be used by defense or offense. So, the second scenario in the OP is an incorrect call by the umpire.

I am confused as to why there is a question about the runner returning to first. No tag = no out.

msinn

Addicted to Softballfans
This sounds more like SCMAF.

They do allow lead offs once the pitch is released, and then catcher can then throw and its a force (not tag) to pick off the runner.

They also do have a rather unique interpretation of the white/orange. Orange ceases to exist after the batter-runner reaches. Fielder uses the white and only white for plays at 1, and runner uses orange and only orange for running regardless of errant throws. So theoretically the fielder could have to extend across the orange to tag the white thus blocking/tripping the orange from the runner.

Their rules are not terribly well thought out.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
I thought USSSA was different than ASA as far as the double base being 1 big base after the initial play?

I double checked that. USSSA has different rules concerning the double base for fast pitch and slow pitch.

Fast pitch- same as ASA

Slow pitch- the only time the offense may use the orange portion is on the initial play at first. This is also the only time the defense may use it(if the throw pulls the fielder into foul territory).

:::Waiting for bretman and ncasaump to get home from work:::

In ASA its the one-big-bag after batter runner touches first base, although i had this call go my way one time, when my push off foot slipped in sand diving back after a missed bunt.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

In ASA its the one-big-bag after batter runner touches first base, although i had this call go my way one time, when my push off foot slipped in sand diving back after a missed bunt.

Don't know why you are waiting on anyone. This is a no-brainer for nearly a decade. It is one base for everyone, but the BR and the defense attempting to retire the BR prior to reaching 1B

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans

What makes you think we don't read the forum while we're at work! ;)

I wasn't chiming in because you already had the correct answer for ASA. If it's for SCMAF, or some other oddball organization, I have absolutely no idea what their rules might be.