ASA DP/Flex - Utilizing the Flex as a Hot bat

Wilburburns

Addicted to Softballfans
OK, I'm trying to utilize the DP/Flex Rule to maximize it's potential. In, It's simple usage, the DP is a Designated hitter for the Flex (Defensive Player). I fully understand that.

The Flex can also be a substitute in the batting lineup for the DP, which takes the starting lineup down to 9 players, but then the original DP may reenter 1 time, which brings the lineup back up to 10 again. I understand all that, and the below situation is where I'm not sure if I'm correct or not.

What if I utilize the Flex as the hot bat. IE, always gets on base, fast, etc..

We start the game with a DP and Flex and during inning 1, the #7 batter hasn't been hitting well, so we sub in the Flex to bat for the #7 batter. She gets on base, scores, then at the end of the first inning, we reenter the original #7 batter and the original Flex returns to the Flex.

Inning 2:
2 runners get on, but the next batter is a slapper and we need a power hitter to knock them in, so we sub the original Flex (hot bat) into the #3 position and again, the Runs score, inning ends, and we reenter the original #3 position into the lineup and the original Flex position.

Inning 3:
Batter #8 is up and we need the bat of the Flex again, so we sub her to bat in this position, the inning ends, and we reenter the original #8 batter into the lineup.

I think you see where I'm going with this, the Flex bats wherever necessary, but because they were the Flex, they never fall into the reentry rules. Can this be done, or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Cliff

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
I hate crash your grand plans, but...

The ONLY position in the batting order where the FLEX can bat is the one occupied by the DP.

Wilburburns

Addicted to Softballfans
I hate crash your grand plans, but...

The ONLY position in the batting order where the FLEX can bat is the one occupied by the DP.

That's exactly what I thought, but someone brought that scenario to me as a possibility. Therefore, I wanted check with others. :)

Thanks,
Cliff

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
If the Flex is that good of a hitter you should leave her in the lineup.