ASA Dropped ball on tag at the plate not caused by the runner

sprtfan

Addicted to Softballfans
We have a league rule that if a runner does not slide and the catcher drops the ball the runner is out but I was wondering what the call here would be if this was not the case.
Throw from the outfield got by the catcher and the base runner on third went home. The pitcher runs toward the plate to cover and the catcher gets the ball and runs back toward the plate. All 3 get there about the same time and the catcher applies the tag in time to get the out but then runs into the pitcher causing the ball to come out.
With out the league rule, would the runner have still been out? or does it depend on when the pitcher and catcher collided? (If the pitcher was in the act or finishing the act of tagging the runner vs. contact shortly after the tag was completed?)

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
First, if your league has a "must slide" rule, then they are morons who are just looking to get sued by somebody who has broken a leg or torn ligaments while complying with the rule.

As for the ASA rule on a tag - the ball must be held securely in the hand or in the glove when the tag is applied (obviously with the hand/glove holding the ball). The ball coming loose at the time of the tag or very shortly after is an indication to the umpire that the ball was not held securely, so they are often called safe when the ball comes out, no matter why the ball came out. Entirely umpire's judgement there and would have to "be there, see that".

As for the runner remaining upright, as long as there was no collision with the fielder holding the ball, then there is no infraction. Rule 8.7.Q states that when a defensive player has the ball and a runner remains upright and crashes into the player, the ball is dead and the runner is out. If it's deemed to be flagrant (again, umpire's judgement), the runner is ejected.

Does that answer your question?

sprtfan

Addicted to Softballfans
I think that answers my question, thanks. The league rule is that you don't have to slide, but if you don't and there is any contact between you and the catcher and the catcher drops the ball, you are called out. This sounds similar as what you stated above as rule 8.7.Q and is probably where is comes from. When the other team questioned the call, he explained it as I did above and I was later told it was a league rule by another player. The contact was not flagrant for what it is worth. Thanks