Dropping finger off the knob

moorerm04

Addicted to Softballfans
I have been dropping my pinky and using overlap grip for many years now. I have been wanting to experiment with dropping another finger off the knob but wanted to know what you guys who do it think of it. I understand the concept... Making the bat longer and getting more leverage, but will dropping two fingers make that big of a differnce over just one? It feel comfortable with dry swings but I have not hit a ball with it yet. LMK

HrBump13

Addicted to Softballfans
I have dropped both before but am back to just one. I feel more in control this way. Dropping that second finger is OK too. I think I get just as much whip no matter which way I grip it. The key is to keep your hands really loose before the swing & just let your hands do the gripping once you start it.

Chilli_Dipper

Las3rSh0w
I tried but we have so many bombers on my team I just use the standard grip and stay consistent with the bat control

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Every additional finger you drop will make a difference; you elongate the bat by about .5" for every finger you drop. The key is to drop fingers one by one until you can drop the middle finger, essentially holding the knob in your palm. You can go straight to that, but it'll require more of an adjustment.

MachoBarracho

Hispanic causin' Panic
Drop pinky off, ring finger ON the knob

^^^^ This.

I have been using the overlap for a long time but if your just starting out I would'nt worry about it. With bats the way they are now I would just line up the knuckles and swing away. I started using the overlap before double wall bats came out so I could get that extra whip on the bat. I tried to go back to a normal grip a few years ago but it felt awkward and I did not want to put the time in to get use to it again. Buy a good bat, and break it in with normal bp and you should not have any problems.

moorerm04

Addicted to Softballfans
Every additional finger you drop will make a difference; you elongate the bat by about .5" for every finger you drop. The key is to drop fingers one by one until you can drop the middle finger, essentially holding the knob in your palm. You can go straight to that, but it'll require more of an adjustment.
I get it that I am makin a longer bat.. It's like swinging a Fungo. I just was wondering for those who have tried it, do the positives outweigh the negitives?
This is what I use currently.
Try this with your conversion to dropping more fingers off the knob...

www.WhipStrip.com

Thousands swear by it...

Contact Coach as the SBF store sells them too:)
I have a couple of them.... They aren't for me, I have plenty strong hands.

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
Don't stop at two. I drop 7 fingers with an overlap grip and its real bro. Lasers!

What are doing here, lashing the bat to your bottom wrist with some athletic tape and then just controlling the knob with the palm of your top hand? Sounds like you get some wicked whip action--nunchuck like.

slaughterhaus

Addicted to Softballfans
I use weight wraps, the same ones I deadlift with.

Cant tell if sarcastic or not... I was actually testing that yesterday. Its the same concept as the whip strip. If it does work i have a ton of straps laying around. might throw one in the bag and try it out this spring

1STUNNA

Addicted to Softballfans
Just use 3m spray or double sided tape on the bat handle if you worried about losing your grip on bat.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball

Went to this a few years ago and made a world of difference. Ive tried a bunch of other grips and I feel like I lose bat control big time. With just a pinky dropped and the rest of the grip stand, I think you get bat whip and bat control.

J-Bonez

Starting Player
Went to this a few years ago and made a world of difference. Ive tried a bunch of other grips and I feel like I lose bat control big time. With just a pinky dropped and the rest of the grip stand, I think you get bat whip and bat control.

What he said.^^^

This is the most comfortable grip for me. I've see the way guys like Helmer grip the bat and I dont know if I could ever get used to that much over lap. Tried it a few times but control goes right out the window!