Dropping the pinky

Jomatty

Starting Player
I've recently started trying to drop my pinky off the bat and I like the whip I get. What I'm having problems with is how bad it bruises my palm where the nob sits in my palm. It is black and blue after a session of tee work. I even broke out some old padded batting gloves but still bruising. Any advice other than to suck it up? Anyone else have this problem?

natedawg87

Baller
I used to have the same problem Jomatty. I suggest getting a pair of Easton VRS gloves or Spiderz Endite gloves. Extra padding, and you won't get bruises or blisters.

Hambo

Starting Player
Hmmmm... are you using an overlap grip or are both of your hands on the grip?

I just recently switched over to a full overlap grip for the same reason that you are dropping your pinky off... to get a better whipping motion on the bat. I haven't had any bruising on my palm though. Maybe you are gripping the bat too tightly? I know that when you first start dropping the pinky off that it feels like the bat will fly out of your hands but gripping the bat too tightly will tense you up and affect your swing.

My suggestion would be to wiggle or flex your forearms a little when you are getting into your stance. This will help to keep them loose and prevent you from gripping the bat too tightly.

Now you may find the bat flies out of your hands once or twice while you are figuring out this grip. It happens. You'll eventually get a feel for it.

zuke 37

Star Player
the knob cuff will help. the knob of the bat will naturally fit in the pocket that YOUR hand will make, every hand is different.
just put the knob in your hand and it will find it's own place.

your top hand: "live long and prosper" do the volcan salute and find your swing folcrum. it is usually between your bird and ring finger. which means when you swing your index and bird fingers will move foward and all the others will move backwards.
you control where the swing folcrum is.

goatsac

Addicted to Softballfans
This happened to me when I first dropped a pinky. I was using the first series of Spider gloves, and wore a hole in the palm, just above the pad. I switched to the newer ones, with the larger pad on the palm. No problems since then. I also use a knob cuff on all my bats.

WarHorse

Star Player
I've recently started trying to drop my pinky off the bat and I like the whip I get. What I'm having problems with is how bad it bruises my palm where the nob sits in my palm. It is black and blue after a session of tee work. I even broke out some old padded batting gloves but still bruising. Any advice other than to suck it up? Anyone else have this problem?

Spiderz makes a batting glove with extra padding in the palm just for that reason.

doG

dabz
I just got used to it eventually but before that I used a knobcuff. Try wrapping your ring finger around the knob as well as dropping the pinky and I think that will alleviate some of the pressure.

Jomatty

Starting Player
Thanks for tips. Knob cuff should help. Took batting practice today with no problem, it's really when taking a lot of cuts off a tee that I was bruising bad.