Dumb Question

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
A parent of a girl on my DD's softball team is fighting me about his DD using a slowpitch bat when every other girl in the league is using fastpitch bats. I told him you can't use a slow pitch bat for fast pitch and he won't listen to me. The league rules don't specifically state any bat rules either so it's making it even more difficult to get him to stop bringing it. Can someone shed some light on this for me? 99% of me feels I'm right, but that small 1% that I may be wrong is bugging me.

westwind

Addicted to Softballfans
I would say it falls back on your league rules. Ours said "any rule not specifically covered reverts to high school rules". So in our league all she needed was an approved ASA bat.

I'm 99% sure that you can swing a sp bat in any fp sanction as long as it has that sanctions current stamp. No saying it's a good idea but it can be done. Unless she is a total beast I'm guessing she has or will have a nasty case of bat drag from swinging a super heavy bat.

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
Yeah, ours does fall back to HS rules, MHSAA here in Michigan, but no one has the actual rules lol. I know for fastpitch it has to be the 2004 ASA stamp or the USSSA thumbprint. The age group my DD is in is 12-15, and this girl is 15, but about 7" shorter than my 11 year old DD who is almost 5' tall. It's this girl's first and last year playing since she'll age out. Needless to say her swing is terrible and I'm only trying to help, but the guy is being a giant PITA by fighting me on it. While he may have a leg to stand on, his DD has no business swinging his 28oz Miken SP bat.

7Dirt7

Addicted to Softballfans
I can understand your reasoning for not wanting her to swing such a big bat ! But sounds to me like it would be a legal bat to swing . There is no such thing as a " slowpitch bat " or a "fastpitch bat " . Those labels are pure Marketing techniques , nothing to do with the construction of the bat . If it has the appropriate stamp its good for play .

Country469

if its got the stamps its legal, if it doesnt its not. Ive seen girls at the NCAA WWS using slow pitch bats before. Really whats the difference in them vs a 13.5 inch est barrel?

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
I was under the impression there a was some difference in the construction, materials, or testing that made a bat a SP bat or FP bat. As ill advised as it is, it does appear as if it's legal, but it isn't doing her any favors.

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
if its got the stamps its legal, if it doesnt its not. Ive seen girls at the NCAA WWS using slow pitch bats before. Really whats the difference in them vs a 13.5 inch est barrel?

In the 3 years of my DD playing FP, a girl swinging a SP bat is a first for me. Not to mention the numerous tournaments she's been to. I guess I can understand an older college girl swinging one who can handle the weight, but not this girl and not at this age

Country469

whether or not the bat fits her is a completely different story, but I would agree with you there. But as far as composite construction, all about the same and have been governed by USA/ASA for a long time on that aspect. Let me see if I can find the list;

for example the xeno = the z composites

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
I agree, legality and whether or not it's a good idea are two different things. I guess I made the mistake of assuming a SP bat wasn't allowed in FP.

I have a Super Z and yeah, it sounds exactly like the Xeno's. That freakish breaking glass sound, but those Xeno's are hot as hell.

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
I agree with bat speed, but control is a close second.

Thanks for the link, I sent it on to the LD. I know it isn't exactly what we've been looking for, but it's something to go off of.

Country469

agreed there too, those two are hand in hand with me. Shorter bats, shorter swings all the way around. I always tell my kid about how Sheffield used a 32 inch bat when he tells me he wants his longer.

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
If only they made a -14 34/20 right?

I see a lot of girls standing too far off the plate and they can't get to those pitches on the outside of the plate. They think they're balls, but they're not. They're just too far off the plate

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
^^ I checked out that link yesterday as well, I just wish it was slightly more informative. One of the bats she was using was ASA only with the 2013 ASA stamp. The other was all association with the 2004 ASA stamp. Does that make the ASA only bat with the 2013 stamp not legal for use in FPsince there was a caveat on that page that says "ASA 2013 Certification Mark (Slow Pitch, Men’s Adult Fast Pitch, Junior Olympic Boy’s Fast Pitch and Men’s Modified only)"?

beernbombs

Abby's dad
^^ I checked out that link yesterday as well, I just wish it was slightly more informative. One of the bats she was using was ASA only with the 2013 ASA stamp. The other was all association with the 2004 ASA stamp. Does that make the ASA only bat with the 2013 stamp not legal for use in FPsince there was a caveat on that page that says "ASA 2013 Certification Mark (Slow Pitch, Men’s Adult Fast Pitch, Junior Olympic Boy’s Fast Pitch and Men’s Modified only)"?

Cannot be used for girls fastpitch.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
That's what I took from it. So basically if it has the 2004 ASA stamp it's ok, but not the 2013 stamp.

Basically. But, there are bats with ASA stamps that are no longer approved. Look at the 'non approved with stamp' list on the USA softball page. A lot of Easton FP bats on there now.

westwind

Addicted to Softballfans
Fuzzy, Minnesota probably adopts the NFSA rule book so that's why there isn't a Mn rule book.

Looks like they require a 2000 or 2004 ASA stamp *and* not be on the non-approved ASA bat list.

NCAA list is a different beast I believe.

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
In my discussions with the LD, they're going to go off USA Softball's rules and say the SP bats are ok as long as they don't have the 2013 stamp. Since MHSAA's web site links to USA Softball as far as bat rules are concerned, it's the only logical step. I have no problems admitting when I'm wrong and when I see the parent, I'll explain it to him and apologize for the any misunderstanding on my part. I was just somewhat concerned from a safety standpoint, but I also know the dad isn't doing her any favors by allowing her to swing such a heavy bat. Not my place though, he can do what he wants imo