Easton 2013 Salvo Comp 98 ASA SP12SV98

newbij

Banned User
What does anyone whose had the chance to swing a 2013 Salvo Comp 98 ASA bat think of it? How's the distance, and durability compared to the OG Salvo? Any pro's/con's would be appreciated.

Thanks!

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
What does anyone whose had the chance to swing a 2013 Salvo Comp 98 ASA bat think of it? How's the distance, and durability compared to the OG Salvo? Any pro's/con's would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I was playing a pickup game with some pretty decent players and one of the guys had a Salvo with nasty spiral cracks (not webbing). It was absolutely smoking the ball. I came away impressed. Everyone who swung it was hitting the ball hard, whereas their hits with some other bats were just soft liners that fell in. He nearly took a couple out himself. Exit speed was noticeably better than all but a few other bats.

I don't think an ump would allow it to be used in a real game, though. I was so tempted to swing it, but it was a little too light.

zitro23

Addicted to Softballfans
Just search it, you'll find a lot of thread asking the same questions. Or just take the advice that you won't regret buying it, especially if you can get a good price.

eabecker

Bat Huer
My SV98 Comp98 is ridiculous right now. It has 5 or 6 good sized spiral cracks and it is absolutely mashing the ball. It definitely doesn't pass compression tests, but if that is not a concern for you then bombs away. This bat is hitting like a well broken in USSSA stick. In terms of how it compares to the SRV5, I think the SV98 is a notch better mainly because durability. I have had these spiral cracks for a while now and while they might be getting a bit worse, the bat is still in one piece which is a lot more than I could say for the SRV5 when it got to this point. Also, I liked the feel of the SV98 better than the SRV5 even thought they should have been fairly close. Anyway, my two bits...

jasonhud

Addicted to Softballfans
Sick bat

Pick one up, you won't be disappointed. I like mine more than my 98h, if that tells you anything. For the price point of less than $150 NIW and 2 returns, it's a steal for the new ball.

SoftballDad52

Albino Rhino
Mine has some pretty good spiral webs and is crushing the ball. Right there with my Gamer SCX3!!! Durability will not be on the same page as the SCX3 since my gamer has been this hot for three years now (would be cool if it was, but I am not holding my breath since the Salvo got webbing within 100 cuts, SCX3 took around a 1000).

newbij

Banned User
Just wanted to update I did end up getting one of these and have about 80 cuts on it. With just that I'm drilling lazers all over the field. I still haven't found my power stroke with it, but I have a few friends who've cleared a 310 fence with it. Shoulda seen the smile on my face when they knocked a few out! :D

ezlatic

Manager
Just wanted to update I did end up getting one of these and have about 80 cuts on it. With just that I'm drilling lazers all over the field. I still haven't found my power stroke with it, but I have a few friends who've cleared a 310 fence with it. Shoulda seen the smile on my face when they knocked a few out! :D

youll have a bigger smile when you hit one out :)

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
These bats are fantastic! I like the feel of the SV98 more than the SRV5. Glad you are enjoying it.

SoxFan81

Addicted to Softballfans
I won a sv98 at a tourney and put a little over 100 swings and it gets better each time I use it . Definitely like the feel over the srv5s I had swung . Can't wait till mine is fully broken in and gets some spirals. Great bat that can be had for cheap and seems to be the most durable of the current group of Asa Easton's that were released.

jk22

Humpty Dumpty was Pushed.....
Close to 300 swings on mine. No spirals-webs yet. I have been using my Srv5 most of the season, but proud to have both bats in my bag.

SoxFan81

Addicted to Softballfans
Mine is at around 200 + swings now, was hitting well at BP today , felt great. Not a line of webbing or any spirals

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
Mine is going back for return. About 8 different spiral cracks all over the barrel. Great bat, but I want the credit to try the new stuff.

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
I have not broken a single SV98 yet this year. I have broke at least...... 3 SY98's, 2 ST98's, and 3 SY98H's. Plus 2 SRV4's, 2 SSR4's, a SRV6BH, and a couple FP bats. Not a single SV98. I'm still swinging my 26oz in games even though it spiral cracked, spiderwebbed over every inch of the barrel, paint chunks breaking off, and a slight rattle. I guesstimate 3,000+ swings mostly with 40/375's but a few hundred 47/500's too! The SV98 really started to put some stank on the ball after the spiral webbing showed up.

SoxFan81

Addicted to Softballfans
I'll try and keep track of when I notice any webs/ spirals on mine . Of its 250 of so hits they've all been balls 44/375 or usssa /NSA so no soft stuff and still not a mark on it just ground scratches. This is a sleeper bat for sure , and for the price even better. Now I just gotta score a 26oz st100 or 26oz st100h to ride on the other side of the batpack :p

SoxFan81

Addicted to Softballfans
Forgot to ask lucky ,
I know easton is releasing an entire new line. Will my sv98 and the other bats released still be gtg for Asa this next year . I didn't know if this new line is gonna have a new asa stamp . I know they are talking about new testing procedures and that the new line might be hotter due to that . Lol, I won my sv98 at a tourney so I don't have the option anyways to send it back in cuz I have no receipt .

jasonhud

Addicted to Softballfans
Keep it

Forgot to ask lucky ,
I know easton is releasing an entire new line. Will my sv98 and the other bats released still be gtg for Asa this next year . I didn't know if this new line is gonna have a new asa stamp . I know they are talking about new testing procedures and that the new line might be hotter due to that . Lol, I won my sv98 at a tourney so I don't have the option anyways to send it back in cuz I have no receipt .

Keep that ***** and swing it. It's a great stick for the new ball.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laoch

Bearded. Drunk. Dominant.
Mine has 300 hits, mostly 44/375, and it hasn't spiraled or cracked yet. It does have a nice pop sound to it though.

newbij

Banned User
After hitting BP yesterday and getting this stick to around 130 cuts on it. I used it as my gamer for the night and hit one off the right field fence at 300, and hit the center field yardarge sign at 310. We use 44/375 balls, my other at bats were laZers to the outfield. I LOVE the sound of this bat, and am insanely impressed at how how it is on so few swings. Needless to say more people on my team started swinging it, I might have to ban this one from becoming a team bat. Still has not spiral webbing, or cracking. Only downside to this back is they put the ASA stamp up by the endcap.....

RDMC

Extra Hitter
My SV98 has unknown number of hits cuz I bought it used earlier this year but I would guess it's around 400-500. It has gotten stupid hot the past few weeks!!! This just after I picked up an ST98 last month after reading all of Lucky's reviews. I'm having trouble putting the Salvo down to try the Stealth. Me and team mates are hitting lots out on 300' fields with the Salvo. This week a guy who had never gone yard before hit 3. I think that I am starting to see some webbing but I'm new to the comp bats.

cdamron13

scerred of sbf
After hitting BP yesterday and getting this stick to around 130 cuts on it. I used it as my gamer for the night and hit one off the right field fence at 300, and hit the center field yardarge sign at 310. We use 44/375 balls, my other at bats were laZers to the outfield. I LOVE the sound of this bat, and am insanely impressed at how how it is on so few swings. Needless to say more people on my team started swinging it, I might have to ban this one from becoming a team bat. Still has not spiral webbing, or cracking. Only downside to this back is they put the ASA stamp up by the endcap.....

put some clear fingernail polish over it....that'll help keep the stamps from wearing

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll be popping the cherry on mine tomorrow morning.
I figure to get 100 cuts on it.

Dedicated SRV5 user right hurr ;)

1four

Addicted to Softballfans
I like the SRV5 better. We have several of both bats and nobody swings the new ones anymore.....