Easton Brett Helmer 2016 ASA

JPG

Lefty
Had a chance to swing my new ASA Brett Helmer (26.5oz) tonight and can share what I got out of it tonight.

Bat has some flex, not as much as a J3A but reminds me of it and the look makes me think I have a new and improved.
Don't take it to far, It does not flex as much. I didn't feel the flex much but another buddy said he did and when I got it I tested it on my knee and it bends a bit.

The photo above is taken with the stock grip, I would say they are true to weight as in 26.5. It's damn close.
As for what weight I like better between the 2... I have to say I like the 27.5oz easton better and I am a fan of 26 end loaded bats.
Something about the USSSA 27.5 bat, the way it weighs and where the weight is, is just nice.
For ASA I sort of enjoy the lighter bat so I thought I would try the 26.5 and see If it was nice enough of a weight to get one in the USSSA version, but still not sure.

This stick to me as of the 100 hits I put on it is nothing special. It does not feel like some amazing new tech that is game ready.
The bat will need some work and I bet she will reward you later. It's fine the bat is enjoyable and will be fun being able to break it in and hit it in bp.
It will be lasting a really long time for sure and I hope it opens up like the USSSA version.

I hit all balls and it hit the rocks just a bit further like it should have and holds up strong. I look forward to it getting softer around the 500 mark and killing it.

I will keep you updated.

Last edited:

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
***y bat with same crappy ASA Easton performance, and that's coming from an Easton fan. I have loved Eastons since I started and I'm starting to become not a fan anymore...This bat flexes more than the USSSA version just like the L3.0 did vs the L1.0. But it doesn't have the same sledge hammer endload that the L3.0 did. In all honesty the USSSA version is a much smoother swinging bat in all weights. Unfortunately for me the ASA bats the last couple years have been lack luster from Easton and imo the L4US is still prob the best option if you can handle the endload...even that has a smaller ss then many other manufacturers and frankly the only reason the performance is there is from the massive endload it has. At least Easton is taking a step in the right direction this year...but in my opinion for a company with frankly more money then many other manufacturers they need invest some of it in their R & D for ASA...This bat although TCT doesn't feel or perform much different then the rest of the main line Eastons with the old tech of IMX. So unless your into the paint job I would call this one a pass. Jmo.

JPG

Lefty
On that note a lot of ASA bats that now hit better then before are fragile. Miken spirals, monstah can only hit cotten balls, demarini paint cracks. What's left for getting your moneys worth and not being fragile? Easton. I am now ok putting in work to get my bats going and being able to enjoy them and get use to the feel for a long time and a long time coming.

It's raining out here but I may try and get some tee work in just to work it into gear. I will keep update on how it's going.

single wally

Professional Amateur
Funny how this bat is advertised as designed for the 52/300 when it would probably take at least 1000 cuts with 52s to start to break one in haha. Sounds similar to other ASA Eastons that take at least a couple hundred hits with rocks to get it going.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
Funny how this bat is advertised as designed for the 52/300 when it would probably take at least 1000 cuts with 52s to start to break one in haha. Sounds similar to other ASA Eastons that take at least a couple hundred hits with rocks to get it going.

I wouldnt be surprised if Easton made some adjustments as they have with other models to be hotter out of the wrapper and focus on the 52's. I thought my 13' L4 and my 26.5 USL4 were hot out of the wrapper. My 27.5 USL4 needed a few hundred cuts to get good.

The 26.5 USL4 was hanging with my Freak 12 and Connell Legit.

I did love the Torq from last year, but my ASA gamer is still my 13' L4. It hangs with the best of them...and i have hit most of them. I think the only one that has a lot of hype that i didnt try is the DNA, but i'm not gonna spend that much money for a bat that i can guarentee is not going to be way better than my L4.

single wally

Professional Amateur
I agree, my L4US was definitely much hotter out of the wrapper than previous Eastons, but I felt like it still needed some hard ball hits in the beginning to open up.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
I agree, my L4US was definitely much hotter out of the wrapper than previous Eastons, but I felt like it still needed some hard ball hits in the beginning to open up.

I agree too, our BP stash has a mix of 52 300's, 44 375's, and 47 525's. I like that i dont have to worry about changing bats depending on what balls are used.

touch415

YoU Ain't ReAdY
On that note a lot of ASA bats that now hit better then before are fragile. Miken spirals, monstah can only hit cotten balls, demarini paint cracks. What's left for getting your moneys worth and not being fragile? Easton. I am now ok putting in work to get my bats going and being able to enjoy them and get use to the feel for a long time and a long time coming.

It's raining out here but I may try and get some tee work in just to work it into gear. I will keep update on how it's going.

its ASA most league switch to 52s and big tourney are all 52s with compression testing, why are people swinging rocks with ASA bats thats why they're fragile, my thing is invest in buying some musher for bp and practice your game with the balls you are going to be using, :biggthumpup:....

touch415

YoU Ain't ReAdY
my advice is stick to demarini, and monsta if you want a good performing ASA bat that smashes 52s........... looks isn't always important...

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

I've gotten well over a thousand swings with all my ASA Combats hitting almost exclusively 44s and harder balls. The fragility of some of their UTrip bats scares people away though. I also had to hit those balls to break them in. I didn't think they were anything special with the 52s at first like some people do.

JPG

Lefty
The ASA balls I am using to test out my helmer are balls you would never ever see in league, these balls are horrible and it has no problem hitting them but it's nothing amazing. I have never been amazed at ASA game play. It's all about getting a bat that feels great and hit those wholes small ball smart ball.

JPG

Lefty
If anyone is interested I will sell my ASA helmer 26.5 for a good price. There is no way I have time for this bat.