Easton Mako Realtree Review

ccsoftball7

Addicted to Softballfans
I got to hit OUTSIDE today. Temperature was about 51 degrees. Balls, 25 of the .52/300 ASA Thunder ZN mixed with the Evil BP.

I hit the 27 oz Mako Realtree bat with a 2 oz. endload. While the looks of the bat really don't matter, I have to say the bat is very nice looking.

First round:

Fresh out of the wrapper it has a much better feel than last year's model B4.0 or B3.0. It was very forgiving and the ball really jumps off the barrel. I haven't really swung any endloaded bats since I started playing again. I used to swing a PST137 and that's about as endloaded as they come. The swing weight and feel of the bat made it feel more like a one piece than a two piece. I haven't really gravitated toward the two piece bats as I tend to like more feedback than I get from the two piece bats. I fell in love immediately. The sound and feel was noticeably different than the 2014 bats. The endload isn't overpowering and it feels like it's "easy" to let the bat do the work. I hit plenty of long balls and was really impressed with the feel.

Second round:

I only hit half a bucket...I was obviously a little tired as the first 4 swings were just not great; however, the last 8 swings were as good as mid-season form. 8/8 out of the park with one of the longest balls I've ever hit with any bat/ball combination in the past 7 years.

My son hit the bat as well and had the same opinion. He has never liked endloaded bats. After hitting 1 round with it, he hit the Torq and then the B4.0. He only took a few swings with the other bats, then switched back to the Realtree. It's the best first round of a season he's ever had, bar none.

Feel free to shoot me any questions.

ccsoftball7

Addicted to Softballfans
IMG_20150112_200826764_zps4e3f25e5.jpg

IMG_20150112_200900851_zpsf83adb99.jpg

IMG_20150112_200845011_zpsb6d53df5.jpg

IMG_20150112_200812400_zpsc8e12c78.jpg

jjjsf

Addicted to Softballfans
My son hit . . . the Torq and then the B4.0. He only took a few swings with the other bats, then switched back to the Realtree.

Feel free to shoot me any questions.

Thanks for the review!
What did you and your son think of the Torq? There are many inquiring minds around that want to know how that spinning handle affects swings/performance (if at all) AND the TCT performance in the balanced Torq model. It sounds like you prefer the EL bats, so Im guessing you prefer the realtree, but can you share any thoughts on the torq (responsiveness of barrel), feel, sound, any affect of the spinning handle? Im an all balanced bat guy, so Im really curious about that torq! Thanks man!

ccsoftball7

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the review!
What did you and your son think of the Torq? There are many inquiring minds around that want to know how that spinning handle affects swings/performance (if at all) AND the TCT performance in the balanced Torq model. It sounds like you prefer the EL bats, so Im guessing you prefer the realtree, but can you share any thoughts on the torq (responsiveness of barrel), feel, sound, any affect of the spinning handle? Im an all balanced bat guy, so Im really curious about that torq! Thanks man!

My son swung the Torq for a few swings and quickly switched back to the Realtree. He has NEVER swung an endloaded bat he has liked. I'm pretty sure the spinning handle would have little to no effect on my swing as I line up my knuckles properly from the outset. When I get a longer session, I'll try the Torq and provide more feedback (it won't be this weekend).

I have only swung balanced bats since I started playing again here. Last year I swung the B4.0 and really liked it. When I played a lot, I always swung endloaded bats. The longer barrel on the Realtree with the 2 oz endload feels endloaded, but not overpowering. I have a comparison to another bat in mind, but won't say what it swings like until I have more time with it. My BP session may have been an anomaly. ;)

ccsoftball7

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm going to take the bats out again this weekend (Sunday). Is there anything in particular you want me to report back?

jjjsf

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm going to take the bats out again this weekend (Sunday). Is there anything in particular you want me to report back?

Yeah! Id love to hear more about the balanced torq in your photos now that you have done such a good job of getting us up to speed with all of the realtree feedback!

Thanks again!! For those of us planning to spend $300+ without the ability to test these out before we buy online, this info is INVALUABLE!!

Last edited:

Imago Dei

Nihil Sine Deo
What are the differences between those 2 bats in the pics? Is the mako new technology? What length barrel is it? Thanks.

ccsoftball7

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah! Id love to hear more about the balanced torq in your photos now that you have done such a good job of getting us up to speed with all of the realtree feedback!

Thanks again!! For those of us planning to spend $300+ without the ability to test these out before we buy online, this info is INVALUABLE!!

I'll post more tomorrow after I have a chance to hit the Torq.

What are the differences between those 2 bats in the pics? Is the mako new technology? What length barrel is it? Thanks.

The two bats in the pictures:

Realtree: 34/27 2 oz endload 13.5" barrel
Torq: 34/27 balanced 13.5" barrel (bottom of the handle turns)

Both are made of the TCT composite. I think it will be much more popular.

ccsoftball7

Addicted to Softballfans
Unfortunately, it was too wet to hit yesterday (the other two guys didn't want to get their feet wet :mad:). By the time I have another chance to get outside, these will most likely be released. I am shooting for another chance to hit on Saturday, but it depends if I can get someone to throw to me. Any takers? ;) I will give more feedback as soon as I get a chance to get back outside.

dimples23

Addicted to Softballfans
Got my utrip realtree in today. Feels amazing! Can't wait to swing it. But gotta wait til Saturday before I get the chance.

jjjsf

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey cc, is it just me or is the realtree barrel longer than the torq's barrel (from your pics)? It looks like it from the picture, unless the two bats werent lined up, which would explain the appearance of a longer barrel.. I know the specs say 13.5 for both, but Im just looking at the pic comparison..

ccsoftball7

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey cc, is it just me or is the realtree barrel longer than the torq's barrel (from your pics)? It looks like it from the picture, unless the two bats werent lined up, which would explain the appearance of a longer barrel.. I know the specs say 13.5 for both, but Im just looking at the pic comparison..

It seems like it might be slightly longer, but I'm not sure how much. The Torq in the picture is also balanced.

jjjsf

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey CC, any chance youve had time to swing the torq yet? Im still waiting for some comparison between the realtree and the balanced torq before I decide on one. [Im between the 26 balanced torq or the 26 realtree, and Im not a fan of endloads, so Im particularly interested in how balanced/endloaded they feel in comparison to each other]. Thanks again!

ccsoftball7

Addicted to Softballfans
I finally got to get back outside to hit both bats on Saturday. Weather was about 48 degrees with a slight wind blowing in. The first round with the Realtree was about like my last time out (first round) with the bat (10/22 left the park...I lost one of them somehow). The balls came off the bat really well. During the second round, I started the round with the Torq (first 7 swings, 2/7 out of the park...the last two balls), then I switched to the Realtree (12/14 out of the park). The Torq feels almost identical (softness of the barrel, ball exit speed) to the Realtree except it swings much more like a B3.0. The performance and distance are definitely there. I still prefer the Realtree as it just seems to fit my swing a little better. It would be really interesting to swing a 12" Torq to see the two endloaded bats side-by-side. If you like the balanced feel, go with the Torq. If you are willing to take a gamble, however, I would definitely recommend the Realtree with the long barrel. Again, I have not swung the short barreled version of the Torq. It will be really interesting to see results with the Mako bats once my swing is more in mid-season form. If anyone is in this area, let me know. I'd be happy to let you swing the bats.

joncoke

Addicted to Softballfans
Man I wish we were a little closer and I would try to meet up to try these out. But I'm about an hour from Raleigh and Cary is another 30-45 from there right?

ccsoftball7

Addicted to Softballfans
Man I wish we were a little closer and I would try to meet up to try these out. But I'm about an hour from Raleigh and Cary is another 30-45 from there right?

I can be in downtown Raleigh in 15 minutes. According to google maps, you can go from Danville, VA to my house in 1 hour and 15 minutes.

joncoke

Addicted to Softballfans
Oh man now I'm tempted. I could possibly convince the wife to go shopping or something lol she likes the south point mall

jjjsf

Addicted to Softballfans
Great stuff CC! Thanks for the detailed review. A couple follow-ups if you don't mind: which spec balls were you using? And did you notice the torq handle spin or no?

ccsoftball7

Addicted to Softballfans
Great stuff CC! Thanks for the detailed review. A couple follow-ups if you don't mind: which spec balls were you using? And did you notice the torq handle spin or no?

ASA. 52/300 Evil and Thunder ZN. I didn't get any spin in the handle at all. I really didn't expect any with my swing.