Ever hear of a 2001 ASA stamp?

krunchyfrogg

It's all in the reflexes
Check out the WrapTech. I've never seen or heard of this!

andersons.jpg

bigcraig

when in doubt, mumble
Its not legal....bears no ASA 2000 or ASA 2004 stamp....

not exactly. from the other thread :

There was a change in the certification testing in 2001 that required a new badge and it was immediately repealed. We happened to be in testing with that bat at during the confusion. The certification reverted to the 2000 badge but the 2001 badge is perfectly legal. ASA went to work on what became the 2004 badge. I doubt you will find many of these floating around.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
not exactly. from the other thread :

Unfortunately, this is not reflected in the rule book. By rule, if the bat was not manufactured prior to the year 2000, it must have either an ASA 2000 or ASA 2004 stamp.

Last edited:

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
Krunchy -

Based on what TB said, you ought to hang onto it and pass it down to your heirs. 100 years from now it'll probably be worth some big money. :D

jaj23

Eye Baller
Unfortunately, this is not reflected in the rule book. By rule, if the bat was not manufactured prior to the year 2000, it must have either an ASA 2000 or ASA 2004 stamp.

I call BS on this stamp.

So if the ASA required the 2001 stamp and then rescinded that requirement after a short period of time, the bat is not legal... sounds silly to me.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
So if the ASA required the 2001 stamp and then rescinded that requirement after a short period of time, the bat is not legal... sounds silly to me.

At the time, the rule was written differently, and the bat could have been allowed under different circumstances. However, in 2009, the wording of the rule changed, which means that the bat would no longer be allowed.

In looking at the ASA Approved Bat list, the Anderson Wraptech does appear on the list as an approved bat. However, that only satisfies half of the rule, leaving the other half of the rule's requirements unmet.

I'll bounce this off of someone in the equipment committee to see what his take is on it. I'll admit I'm a little curious for my own reference.

MachoBarracho

Hispanic causin' Panic

Exactly, you have to remember this was before the days of different bats for different leagues. This was the first of the ASA and USSSA having different standards.

Worth inserted a rod into the handle to make it ASA legal. I always wanted to take it out, the bat was still smoking hot just weighted different. It was a huge waste of time, money and effort.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

As suspected, the word is that any bat with a 2001 stamp is not to be allowed for use in ASA Championship Play. ASA has only 2 certification stamps: ASA 2000 and ASA 2004.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
As suspected, the word is that any bat with a 2001 stamp is not to be allowed for use in ASA Championship Play. ASA has only 2 certification stamps: ASA 2000 and ASA 2004.
That sounds like the dumbest thing I've heard this month.

You're saying that ASA had their ASA 2000 standard. Then they decided on a more restrictive (supposedly safer standard). Then they decided not to use it, and now it's not allowed ... but the ASA 2000 standard bats are???

So a manufacturer who complied too readily is penalized ... and the players holding those bats?

That's just plain dumb. Sounds like a lawyer got involved somewhere here. :p

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
That sounds like the dumbest thing I've heard this month.

You're saying that ASA had their ASA 2000 standard. Then they decided on a more restrictive (supposedly safer standard). Then they decided not to use it, and now it's not allowed ... but the ASA 2000 standard bats are???

So a manufacturer who complied too readily is penalized ... and the players holding those bats?

That's just plain dumb. Sounds like a lawyer got involved somewhere here. :p

The impression I got was that Anderson "jumped the gun" on the 2001 stamp, not ASA.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
A slight clarification

I shouldn't point the finger solely at Anderson, as I wasn't there. However, here's what I do know.

In 2000, ASA created the bat certification that tested bats and their performance fresh out of the wrapper. ASA very soon realized that composite bats, fairly new to a sport that was previously dominated by single and doublewalls, had a break-in period that would far exceed the 98 MPH standard.

As such, ASA wanted to account for this, but their contracts with the manufacturers didn't state that they could test "used" bats. A number of manufacturers didn't take too kindly to this change, so ASA decided to work on a new certification, later to become the ASA 2004 certification.

It's possible that this 2001 stamp shown below was done in anticipation of a new certification, but that certification was never ratified until much, MUCH later (ie., 2004).

So when I was talking about "jumping the gun," that's what I was referring to: the anticipation of a certification that was never ratified.