Ever seen someone tag up on a liner to P?

thejuggster

Dying of WTP Disease
I have and he got away with it. Hold on...no he didn't...he didn't tag up but still got away with it.

Co-ed last Thurs, runner on 1 and 3, 1 out. Batter lines out to the P. Runner on 3rd takes off and does the "oh chit", stops almost half way home, turns takes 2 steps back to 3rd. Our P throws the ball to 3rd, 3B steps on 3rd. You would think 3 outs, right? NOPE! Runners turns around and runs home (without even coming close to 3rd), next thing ump says "Runner safe at home, 2 outs". My whole team came unglued.

So me being the coach I question his call, his excuse or reasoning why he was safe "He tagged up". So I said "so you are telling me he tagged up on a line drive to my pitcher and made it?", he replied "yep". So to help his cause he turned around and asked the scorekeeper who probably has never played a ball game in her life.

40 years in baseball and softball there is always a first.

And yes if anyone is asking, we have PAID scorekeepers. No wonder our league fees are over $615.

I was umpiring in church league two weeks ago when a similar situation happened. Runners on first and second. Nobody out. Line drive to the shortstop. Catch. Runner on second never moved. Runner on first was off the bag. Shortstop throws to first. Out. Runner on second took off on the throw. First basemen throws to third. Safe. Throw was off line.

I couldn't believe it happened.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
i tagged and scored on a pop up by the first bag dugout earlier this week. wasn't worth it. broke my no sliding rule and paying for it now

Country469

should have protested the rest of the game
you can't protest a judgement call
I was umpiring in church league two weeks ago when a similar situation happened. Runners on first and second. Nobody out. Line drive to the shortstop. Catch. Runner on second never moved. Runner on first was off the bag. Shortstop throws to first. Out. Runner on second took off on the throw. First basemen throws to third. Safe. Throw was off line.

I couldn't believe it happened.

thats not tagging up thats advancing on a throw

herts9

SEMI-RETIRED LEGEND
unbelievable!

but yeah, co-ed...it's all interesting when you throw in the estrogen

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
Umpire didn't see tag or no tag up so what's the call. Let's say umpire watches the catch and didn't see runner off bag but just heading home. You can come unglued, can't protest that call, and umpire can say I didn't see so safe. You probably should have thrown home and made the easy tag??

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
I would assume he took off before P caught the ball? Would seem to me if it was a hot shot back to the pitcher, the runner wouldn't even have time to get off the bag. The way you explain it makes it sound like he didn't take off from the bag until after P caught the ball but before ump called time. If he took off before contact was made, that's a different violation.

I suppose that would count for a sac fly then.

Saw a sac fly to the catcher once. One of the smoothest running exhibitions I've seen.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
In a tournament a few years back, I tagged from first to second on a pop out to the catcher. They didn't know what to do.

As a catcher and 1B, I have decoyed a few runners into trying to advance by pretending not to pay attention.

You can kind of identify the type of player that would try it then, once the catch is made, enter into a conversation with someone while still holding the ball and keep the runner in your peripheral.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
Once, I tagged up from second to third on a popup to the 3rd base dugout and pretty much walked to third. No one thought to cover the bag since the pitcher and third baseman were both chasing the ball. I was more impressed the umpire saw me tag up and didn't just immediately call time.

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm working on this trick play. Bases loaded, nobody out. Batter intentionally pops up to 2B. All runners tag: guy on first runs toward home, then the guy on second runs out into left field, next the batter breaks for third while the guy on third tags home. Genius?

trick play.jpg

Dogue

Evil Genius
I guess that would go down as an unassisted triple-play for the 2nd baseman?

'A' for effort on the graphic!

A Salt Weapon

Starting Player
In a tournament a few years back, I tagged from first to second on a pop out to the catcher. They didn't know what to do.

Lol, I just did this in our co-Ed tourney but from second to third. It was surprisingly easy, probably going to start doing it more often with female catchers.