Everyone hates Kentucky

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Umm.......what? I thought I was pretty clear in what I said, but I guess you were too busy being afraid of having your car set on fire because the CAYUTS won the game last night to make sense of it.

Just because someone admits to a crime/gets caught, doesn't make them more of a criminal than someone who is very likely getting away with much worse crimes. It makes them a stupider criminal.

Plaxico Burress isn't worse than Zimmerman and OJ.

But then again, Cal is completely innocent right? :rolleyes:

Yes, clearly ridiculous. I understand your point. Just because one person is busted for a crime, doesn't mean there aren't people out there getting away with worse crimes. What I said was, just because someone gets busted for one crime doesn't mean that's the only crime they committed, and in a lot of cases it's really stupid to assume that it was. Therefore, your insinuation that Cal is worse than Sampson because he's never been busted for anything is just ****ing stupid.

I don't live in Lexington, so if my car burns it's just because some nimrod lost control of his trash pile.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now you're making sense...........There is no way that this Kentucky team, while it is good would beat the '82 Champion Tar Heels......The 84' Champion Hoyas......The '90 UNLV team or the '91 Duke team. Maybe the best team you've seen, but I've seen better.

I'm biased, but I don't remember any of those teams being as unselfish as this UK team. Usually when you have the talent this team had it's not greater than the sum of it's parts because they don't play as a real team. This team did.

Maybe this Kentucky team seems to be more of a team, because it's rare to find a team that actually plays as a team anymore.

This is the longest thread I've ever started.

SMAC

mmmmmm...beeeer
I'm biased, but I don't remember any of those teams being as unselfish as this UK team. Usually when you have the talent this team had it's not greater than the sum of it's parts because they don't play as a real team. This team did.

Maybe this Kentucky team seems to be more of a team, because it's rare to find a team that actually plays as a team anymore.

I don't know about that. KY is leaps and bounds talent wise above everyone else. Davis and MKG might go 1-2, at worst 1-4. Jones might go top 10 as well.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS

What the hell does unselfish have to do with it when you're as talented a team Larry Johnson, Stacy Augmon, Anderson Hunt, Gregg Anthony........have played 120 College games and ready for the big ones?? The same as a team with Christian Laetner, Grant Hill, Thomas Hill and Bobby Hurley??.......Or Jordan and Wothy's UNC teams.

I must be missing the point, but I don't see where unselfish comes into play. I have a very hard time seeing this Kentucky team beating those teams I mentioned. I don't see them as talented or as experienced as them............Now perhaps if all of KU's players stay in school (which they won't) they could reach that level, but for right now......I don't see it.

SMAC

mmmmmm...beeeer
Now you're making sense...........There is no way that this Kentucky team, while it is good would beat the '82 Champion Tar Heels......The 84' Champion Hoyas......The '90 UNLV team or the '91 Duke team. Not that Kentucky isn't very good this year, but they'd have a really hard time beating those talent laden teams led by veteran players. I think the experience would win out. Maybe Kentucky is the best team you've seen, but I've seen better.

I shied away from naming Bobby Hurley because he was a pedestrian NBA'er. But now since a few others have agreed that post college NBA doesn't matter. I back you 100% :D.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I shied away from naming Bobby Hurley because he was a pedestrian NBA'er. But now since a few others have agreed that post college NBA doesn't matter. I back you 100% :D.

I'm not saying Kentucky is bad........Not at all......Just those other teams were that good and that college basketball as a whole had more talent then.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm not saying Kentucky is bad........Not at all......Just those other teams were that good and that college basketball as a whole had more talent then.

Do you think because they are one-done now that college ball was better back then? Or do you think college basketball players in general were better 10+ years ago? Just curious.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Do you think because they are one-done now that college ball was better back then? Or do you think college basketball players in general were better 10+ years ago? Just curious.

I think that incoming players are coming in at a much higher level than they ever did before with the exception of a few.....Wilt, Lou Alcindor, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan.....But, they don't develop into the talent they could become if they stayed. Let me put it this way........

The incoming class and the sophomores that would have made up Dukes team in Laetners time would be hammered by Kentucky's team from this year. But, Kentucky's team this year would not beat Leatners senior year team that won a title.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
I think that incoming players are coming in at a much higher level than they ever did before with the exception of a few.....Wilt, Lou Alcindor, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan.....But, they don't develop into the talent they could become if they stayed. Let me put it this way........

The incoming class and the sophomores that would have made up Dukes team in Laetners time would be hammered by Kentucky's team from this year. But, Kentucky's team this year would not beat Leatners senior year team that won a title.

Makes sense. The experience can certainly make a difference.

All else equal, do you think 5-6 years down the road they are better players going through 4 years of college and then the NBA or are they better going the one-done route and then playing in the NBA?

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Makes sense. The experience can certainly make a difference.

All else equal, do you think 5-6 years down the road they are better players going through 4 years of college and then the NBA or are they better going the one-done route and then playing in the NBA?

I don't know that it makes that much difference.......I think that for the most part coming out after your first or second year, you'll not be as successful in your first few years as if you had stayed 4 years. There's a huge difference between a 23 year old NBA player and a 27 year old NBA player........So imagine how huge that would be between a 27 year old NBA player and a 19 year old one.

Now.......This is partly why I see the UNLV/Duke/UNC teams as being better. They were veteran teams of 21-22 year old men and Kentucky are 19-20 year olds for the most part....Not huge, but still a difference in maturity, experience and talent. Just enough to make a difference I think.

Lentbadfacts

Resident Skeptic
Somebody told me that Kansas, Louisville, and Kentucky all start 5 players that out-of-state 'students'. That seems crazy that not a single high school player from the state of Kentucky can make the starting 5 at UL or UK.

I don't know about Louisville but Kentucky had no "starters" from Kentucky. Darius Miller is from Kentucky. He played as many minutes as a lot starters do and was actually a starter at various times during the season.

Couple things. They lost on the road to Kentucky. Zellar, Henson, and Barnes are every bit as long as kentuckys front 3. Thought they aren't as athletic. And as I said unc when healthy. Unc was the walking wounded in the tournament and still made an elite 8 appearance.

The majority of Kentucky's starters had played a grand total of 9 college games the first time they played UNC. I think they were probably a little better by the end of the season. There was not a single time during the entire tournament that I thought they could lose except for about five minutes last night.

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
Couple things. They lost on the road to Kentucky. Zellar, Henson, and Barnes are every bit as long as kentuckys front 3. Thought they aren't as athletic. And as I said unc when healthy. Unc was the walking wounded in the tournament and still made an elite 8 appearance.

Most of that is true but Davis is the difference maker in my book. What he did on defense, I cannot remember witnessing before except in highlight films. That was greatness. UNC has no answer for that if he plays like that because UNC is not a good three point team. Not to say UNC cannot beat Kentucky, but the team I watched the last couple weeks beats UNC 5 out of 6.

Indiana beat Kentucky in the regular season too. But Kentucky definitely stepped it up and played better in this tourney than any college team I have seen this season. It was clear to me.

Stout33

Addicted to Softballfans
This championship will be stripped by the NCAA within 5 years and Kentucky will be put on probation because of Calipari is my prediction.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
i still dont think the rebels beat this UK team.....i just dont see it. Swing will never admit anyone in the modern era is better than anyone in the older era because that's what old people do and i'm sure when i'm 55, i will as well......

but it aint' truth.....being 22 in 1990 still puts you athletically inferior to the 18/19 year old college stars of today and it's not close......mental aspect, i can't argue w/ but the rebels are outclassed by this UK team and while everyone loves to talk about MJ, he was not the college bball player Anthony Davis was this year...no way no how.

can someone name me a golden days team who could match up w/ MKG, Jones and Davis??? someone give me that line...everyone is obviously beatable but if UK's guards shoot at all, they have zero weaknesses and i hate them and calipari......

Last edited:

b#7

CAPN MORGAN
What the hell does unselfish have to do with it when you're as talented a team Larry Johnson, Stacy Augmon, Anderson Hunt, Gregg Anthony........have played 120 College games and ready for the big ones?? The same as a team with Christian Laetner, Grant Hill, Thomas Hill and Bobby Hurley??.......Or Jordan and Wothy's UNC teams.

I must be missing the point, but I don't see where unselfish comes into play. I have a very hard time seeing this Kentucky team beating those teams I mentioned. I don't see them as talented or as experienced as them............Now perhaps if all of KU's players stay in school (which they won't) they could reach that level, but for right now......I don't see it.

You forgot one from that UNC team, Sam Perkins.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
i can see Christian Laetner playing well against Jones and Davis.....and by playing well, i mean getting his **** pushed in....figuratively speaking.....

and good luck Hurley...MKG locks down point guards 5 times as quick as you......you'd be asked to sit the bench and if not, you'd volunteer....

but being older really helps....especially when you're literally half the afflete...

jfc

eHall

Base burglar
Agreed with most of primos points. The kids nowadays play AAU ball against the best in the country from a young age. For most, high school ball is a walk through compared to AAU ball. They might play against 1 or 2 kids all season that are 5 star blue chip guys in high school ball.

In the old days, the learning curve during the freshman year was huge. Kids came in with only high school ball experience. They had to learn college offenses and defenses. They had to get in better shape. That is not the case nowadays.

A blue chip college freshman has played 100 plus games per year for the previous few years. He has played against the best at camps, in aau and knows the system he will use in college. The only learning curve they have is adjusting to college life.

I respect what some of the older teams mentioned have done. They were great teams in their respective eras. The game is different and the talent out of high school is even better than the jrs and srs of yesteryear.

Stout33

Addicted to Softballfans
Agreed with most of primos points. The kids nowadays play AAU ball against the best in the country from a young age. For most, high school ball is a walk through compared to AAU ball. They might play against 1 or 2 kids all season that are 5 star blue chip guys in high school ball.

Another great reason to do away with HS sports all together.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't know that it makes that much difference.......I think that for the most part coming out after your first or second year, you'll not be as successful in your first few years as if you had stayed 4 years. There's a huge difference between a 23 year old NBA player and a 27 year old NBA player........So imagine how huge that would be between a 27 year old NBA player and a 19 year old one.

Now.......This is partly why I see the UNLV/Duke/UNC teams as being better. They were veteran teams of 21-22 year old men and Kentucky are 19-20 year olds for the most part....Not huge, but still a difference in maturity, experience and talent. Just enough to make a difference I think.

I can see your point. Experience does matter, it would be interesting if we could make it happen. I think UK would take just about anyone but it would be a tough matchup for sure.

I dont remember who won the tourney last year. Is the monobrow coming back btw?

UK will have 5 or 6 guys get drafted, perhaps 5 in the first round. Davis, MKG, and Jones are all top 10. Lamb and Teague are late first round. Teague might stay @ UK, Miller will get drafted but later. They already have a good recruiting class for next year. A week from today Noel and Muhammad are supposed to announce on ESPN where they are going. UK should get one. There are a few other top 50's that are undecided that are expected to sign with UK as well. Cal is a recruiting machine!

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
i still dont think the rebels beat this UK team.....i just dont see it. Swing will never admit anyone in the modern era is better than anyone in the older era because that's what old people do and i'm sure when i'm 55, i will as well......

but it aint' truth.....being 22 in 1990 still puts you athletically inferior to the 18/19 year old college stars of today and it's not close......mental aspect, i can't argue w/ but the rebels are outclassed by this UK team and while everyone loves to talk about MJ, he was not the college bball player Anthony Davis was this year...no way no how.

can someone name me a golden days team who could match up w/ MKG, Jones and Davis??? someone give me that line...everyone is obviously beatable but if UK's guards shoot at all, they have zero weaknesses and i hate them and calipari......

I'm not surprised by anything you say......No one back then was good.:rolleyes:

UNLV would have ****ing killed Kentucky... Larry Grandmama Johnson would have made anthony davis his *****. Anthony Davis is still a kid for gods sake Larry Johnson was a man

Stout33

Addicted to Softballfans
UK will have 5 or 6 guys get drafted, perhaps 5 in the first round. Davis, MKG, and Jones are all top 10. Lamb and Teague are late first round. Teague might stay @ UK, Miller will get drafted but later. They already have a good recruiting class for next year. A week from today Noel and Muhammad are supposed to announce on ESPN where they are going. UK should get one. There are a few other top 50's that are undecided that are expected to sign with UK as well. Cal is a recruiting machine!

Cal is a dirty dealer. Only a matter of time before UK gets some of the cookin Cal served up to Memphis and UMass.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not surprised by anything you say......No one back then was good.:rolleyes:

They were good, and generally I agree with you. I can't say for sure about this Kentucky team though. They were pretty smart and calm, two of the things teams pick up "with experience".

I never saw the UNLV team play.

BTW, my unselfish comments were about how veteran this team played. Normally teams this young and talented revert to being all about themselves when the going gets tough. See the John Wall/Demarcus Cousins UK team for that, but this team never did that. The extra pass, playing solid D and switching, and making everyone around you better. Those are normally things people would say about a more veteran team like you think is better. You could say alot of those about this UK team, which is very rare for a team this young.

You might be right, but it's much closer than you make it sound.