F The Muthaf*******g Cold!

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Played a tourney today that spent the entire time in the 40's and the field located in an ag area, was so foggy it was misting. I don't know how some of you guys do it in cold climates, I've never played below 60 before.

Felt like the Tin Man with 60wt in my joints, couldn't make my body respond the way I needed, ate a laser to the chest, missed a couple others I normally wouldn't. Compounded with me forgetting to swap out my new glove needing break in that seemed to rock up in the cold sucked. Go to bat and couldn't feel my hands, was more worried about flinging my bat than anything else. My only hits were bombs, dinkcrap outs, or the fielder was too popsicled to field my dinkcrap hit. Only saving grace was everyone was in the same boat, some seem better prepared though.

How do you colder climate guys keep your hands warm while pitching or waiting to hit? What tips or tricks are out there to help warm weather pansies function in the cold?

d-wreck7

Addicted to Softballfans
Ken where in Christ were you playing? It was nice as hell here today about 70 degrees.

Joker

disposable hand warmer in my pocket. thinking about getting one of those pockets QBs use in the nfl

Kaji

Addicted to Softballfans
40's? Dude, that's nothing. The fog and misting thing, yeah that's just stupid.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Ken where in Christ were you playing? It was nice as hell here today about 70 degrees.

Rainbow fields in the country east of Molesto....

I was thinking it would but off at 10ish but nooooo, it sucked.

disposable hand warmer in my pocket. thinking about getting one of those pockets QBs use in the nfl

That sounds like a good idea, wouldn't mind getting one for an occasion like today.

40's? Dude, that's nothing. The fog and misting thing, yeah that's just stupid.

Help a brother out!

Kaji

Addicted to Softballfans
Help a brother out!

I just make sure to wear a cold gear base layer on top, sliders, and sweat pants and I'm gtg during the game. Inbetween if you can't go inside somewhere get a hoodie (or another layer on top & a beanie) and a jacket and it's not bad.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Sounds like you played at rainbow

It's been foggy like that for a week here

Did you play? Nice facility and a good tourney but that weather sucked.

I just make sure to wear a cold gear base layer on top, sliders, and sweat pants and I'm gtg during the game. Inbetween if you can't go inside somewhere get a hoodie (or another layer on top & a beanie) and a jacket and it's not bad.

That's where I screwed up, my base layer was for warmer weather and I threw a thin sweatshirt over it thinking I'd be racing to pull it off.

Hand warmers and a QB thingy would have been awesome.

TrainWreck209

Hardcore since '84
No. I found out i didn't have to work today too late. Guy said it was full. Heard they had 18 teams. I live ten minutes away. Was it any good? The fields aren't bad but the clubhouse is a turd.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I thought it was good other than the weather, was a packed house. Other than BLD the clubhouse is nicer than anything I'm used to, maybe I was just happy to escape the cold. It's better than Beyer unless you need some crack.

Up in Sac area, Fair Oaks and Davis are nice places, no clubhouse but good shade trees at Fair Oaks and great fields at Davis.

RadCon10

Hibernating Up North
40's is cold, but tolerable. It's not unusual for us to start and end the season in the 30s. Don't even get me started on the temps during snowball tournaments here.

rmarsh

Addicted to Softballfans
Just played tourney tonight and it was in the 30s. Guys in t-shirts sweating! Some in shorts. Indoor. It was probably in the 40s inside the arenaarea.

We just get acclimated to the temps. It's actually warmer than it was last year when we played. It was single digits out side and probably in the 20s inside. It was miserable last year needless to say.

King Hippo

Star Player
Our team played a playoff triple header at the end of October '13. Temp was 32. We layered up, passed around hand warmers and ran sprints between games. In game was no big deal. Waiting between games outdoors was tough to stay warm. Almost every night game that October was played in fog. Lots of fun playing outfield trying to judge balls in the lights and fog.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
Played a tourney today that spent the entire time in the 40's and the field located in an ag area, was so foggy it was misting. I don't know how some of you guys do it in cold climates, I've never played below 60 before.

Felt like the Tin Man with 60wt in my joints, couldn't make my body respond the way I needed, ate a laser to the chest, missed a couple others I normally wouldn't. Compounded with me forgetting to swap out my new glove needing break in that seemed to rock up in the cold sucked. Go to bat and couldn't feel my hands, was more worried about flinging my bat than anything else. My only hits were bombs, dinkcrap outs, or the fielder was too popsicled to field my dinkcrap hit. Only saving grace was everyone was in the same boat, some seem better prepared though.

How do you colder climate guys keep your hands warm while pitching or waiting to hit? What tips or tricks are out there to help warm weather pansies function in the cold?

This is a terribly hidden brag post.

I love the cold but I hate the wet (we can all think of a lame joke for that, so nobody bother). Mist in the 40's is worse than crisp single digits. Most of the people who drop out of SEAL training do it because of the prolonged periods of being in the water and cold. It's demoralizing.

Mechanics or Tillman work gloves come in insulated varieties. For 40's anything Thinsulate 40 grams or above would do. Double as nice batting gloves too. We always used those or cheap jersey knit gloves. One snowball tourney my brother (not the one who plays with oilslick) was playing middle infield and made a nice play on the ball, but also got a glove full of snow. Between the snow and the jersey glove on his throwing hand he just flipped the ball back to the pitcher. Batter had slipped and fallen, but it still wasn't worth tearing something.

The handwarmers work. A lot of preppers keep them in their bug out bag. Right next to the one bottle of water and six guns. But where would you keep it on the mound? Those things burn.

The football muffs are also nice and you can still field with one on.

Blowing a few times into your hand in between pitches works surprisingly well.

Waterproof footwear. I love my Mizuno's but mesh in the cold and wet is a nogo. Neither my Boombahs or 3N2 have any mesh but when things are nasty icy we usually wear work or winter boots. Cleats only make things worse. It feels sacriligeous to wear Columbia Bugaboots I had to save up for in a soupy batter's box, but that's why they cost so much, right?

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
I'm ok in the cold as long as the wind isn't blowing

Agree. I been out in 15-20 degree weather. With bright sun and no wind it is not bad if you are just hitting. The only thing that bothers me is my right hand. I wouldn't want to pitch or try and catch a hit ball though.

Cuervo13

Addicted to Softballfans
1. You're playing winter ball... It's cold even in Cali during this time of the year... Plus you were in the sticks in Motown

2. Layer up

3. Rainbow pre Bld was the best complex in nor cal.. Grass was like putting green for many years... Indoors looks a little old but is still nice

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans
We have played in 3 tournaments already this year...

First Weekend: 45 for a high first weekend in the rain/mud
2nd Weekend: 37 for a high, but Sunny... was not that bad from about 11:00am to 5pm, but when the sun went down.. It got pretty rough
3rd Weekend: 55 for a high, and Sunny.. cant complain for January
Yesterday: Everything cancelled (due to heavy rains on Friday)

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I'm getting one of these, think it would have made a huge difference. Have to be able to feel your hands to pitch and I don't wear batting gloves to hit.
http://www.wilson.com/en-us/football/accessories/football-hand-warmer/

One of those, non-mesh shoes, and a thermal undershirt probably would have made all the difference in the world. I just prepped wrong, only live an hour away and the sun has been burning through mid-morning for some nice days.

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip

picture.php

justwhippin

Addicted to Softballfans
How about being a man and stop crying about 40 deg..... hand warmer really.... stop being a ***** about it ijs