Fantasy Football Sleepers

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
$100 that Casey has more fantasy points this year than Celek.

Put your money where your mouth is...

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
Here's one worth monitoring.

Cecil Shorts. Earlier this spring, it seemed as if JAX wanted Gabbert to win the QB job. He has struggled and is now hurt and will lose some practice time. Henne is, at best, a back-up QB, but likely as good if not better than Gabbert and now has a chance for more reps. Shorts clicked much better with Henne than Gabbert. Tossing the games where both QBs had at least 10 attempts (without digging deeper, I have no way to differentiate who did what wrt to Shorts), Shorts played 7 games with Gabbert as the primary QB and 5 games with Henne as the primary QB. With Gabbert, Shorts averaged (per game): <4 target, <3 receptions and ~54 yds. He also totaled 2 TDs with Gabbert (~0.3 TD/g). With Henne as the primary, Shorts averaged >9 targets, >5 rec and ~ 84 yds. With Henne, Shorts scored 3 TDs (0.6 TD/g). On the plus side, Shorts finished strong with Henne and is entering that mythical third year as a pro WR, and the way it looks now, Henne will be the starter. On the down side, Shorts had 2 concussions at the end of the season and finished on the IR, so there is some injury risk.

I am not sure if a 2nd year WR that put up 979 yards and 7 TDs constitutes a "sleeper" per se, but his current late 7th round (12-team) ADP and the 33rd WR off the board looks interesting given the potential upside - I'd rather have him than several WRs taken a full round-plus ahead of him (eg Decker, Austin).

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
Golden Tate. Percy's out. Rice is in Europe getting some treatment on his knee. Who else is Wilson going to throw to? He's trending up hard, but still a 12th rounder and the 56th WR off the board. I'd wager that he gives you 7th-9th rd value (30s-early 40s WR performance on the year).

bluejay1

The Great Wantabe
Levon Bell
Josh Gordon,
Shane Vereen
Gio Benard
Jay cutler
Carson palmer
Kenny Britt
Rueben Randle

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
Check up on my mostly PRE-CAMP sleepers (most made on 7/24-25)

Jordan Cameron - looked great in pre-season and continued into week 1. ADP of the 14th rd when I made the call on 7/24

Rob Housler - hurt. Didn't show much in pre-season. Monitor but don't hold your breath too hard.

Greg Little - didn't do much and had at least one bad drop. Still, had 10 targets. And should have better games. On a side note: I never considered Gordon a sleeper, but it looks as if he was dropped in a lot of leagues before the season (according to the notices I get from Yahoo and NFL.com anyway...). If Gordon is out there, grab him now. He'll be back week 3.

Pierre Garcon - TBD. Not a "sleeper" call in the truest sense. ADP moved a full round from when I called him. WR1 upside, injury risk downside.

Ryan Mathews - TBD. Looked really good in pre-season. Really tough match-up tonight. I still like him more than most anyone...maybe even his mama.

Shane Vereen - Nice. Were it not for the fact that Ridley still has fumble issues, Vereen's numbers would likely not have been so beastly. RB controversy, RBBC...? Stay tuned. He's at least earned a bigger role if they let Ridley remain the "starter."

Ryan Broyles - scratched. Apparently, they are going to ease him back. They didn't really need him yesterday, so there is no special rush yet. Still should have value later on.

Rod Streater - OK week 1. 5-70. QB is going to be a limiting factor for him, so I expect some consistency issues. If he isn't rostered in your league, at least put him on your watch list. Could be a nice bye week filler.

Travis Kelce - if you would have followed my advice, you would not have drafted him. Still, keep an eye on him as the season progresses or in case of injury.

James Casey - hurt throughout camp. Also, outplayed by Celek and Ertz. Looking like Kelley whiffed and so did I. I'm holding to see how tonight plays out if I have him, but likely OK to drop. No one took me up on my bet, too bad. Books are now closed.

Cecil Shorts - meh. I still like him moving forward. Gabbert got hurt and if you recall what I said earlier about Henne vs Gabbert when it comes to Shorts.... Also, 11 targets - he'll get his chances.

Golden Tate - meh. I still like him as the season moves on. His ADP jumped 4 rounds in 10-teamers from when I made the call.

Last edited:

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
Quarter pole check up on my mostly PRE-CAMP sleepers (most made on 7/24-25)

Jordan Cameron - Stud. Getting tons of looks and putting up numbers weekly. Also has 10 RZ targets.

Rob Housler - Finally back from injury. Hasn't yet done much. Keep an eye on him though as he works his way back into things. May be worth an add down the stretch.

Greg Little - demoted. Bust

Pierre Garcon - Very good.

Ryan Mathews - he's given you double digit points in half the games so far. Nothing spectacular though. It feels like he is on the verge of a big game. At the same time, he never came through with a big game last season. All in all...meh. Difficult to trust.

Shane Vereen - Were it not for that wrist, he might be Marshall Faul Redux. The current backs running in NE are all pretty unspectacular. It appears as if Bill is done with Ridley as the primary. Vereen may have the opportunity to be the primary back when he returns - which may prove useful down the stretch. The question is whether the staff will trust him to stay healthy at that kind of work load. He's not been a paragon of health in his short NFL career. If you're one to swing for the fences, grabbing him now might be a nice shark move.

Ryan Broyles - Burleson out. Broyles in. Did nothing last week. Should be better.

Rod Streater - OK week 1. Tailed off since then. Second in targets for the Raiders. I like him as a longer term prospect, but the QB situation isn't helping him this year.

Travis Kelce - if you would have followed my advice, you would not have drafted him. He's banged up. Still, keep an eye on him as the season progresses or in case of injury.

James Casey - Bust

Cecil Shorts - Leads NFL in targets. Top 15 in receiving yards. Still has yet to find the endzone. Gotta hope Henne gets back in there for a nice boost. They'll play from behind a lot, so he'll get his chances and numbers. Blackmon being around didn't hurt him too badly last year, either.

Golden Tate - meh. One game in double digit fantasy points. One mediocre game. Two awful games. While his ADP jumped 4 rounds in 10-teamers from when I made the call, he's been a disappointment thusfar.

The Crimedog

Best ASA Baterator
I watched Cecil Shorts drop a sure TD last week. Bounced right off his hands and he had the corner beat by 2 steps.

Casey......... Lolz son, lolz.

Joique Bell who I was campaigning for is doing reasonably well. I expected Bush to get most of the work last week and he did.

The Crimedog

Best ASA Baterator
I have the NFL package, I watch everything in bits and pieces. Plus they played Indy and I wanted to see Indy a little bit. If it were Jax and Oakland that game would have got zero play.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
I was in BWW this weekend and they had one tv on my end with that game on for a bit. Then they changed it to TB-AZ game...just like another tv not very far from it. But then again, Hou-Sea and Cle-Cin were not on on our end but they had other duplicates.
I should have complained about those 2 games.

j.bishop

Nothing to see here
I have the NFL package, I watch everything in bits and pieces. Plus they played Indy and I wanted to see Indy a little bit. If it were Jax and Oakland that game would have got zero play.

Redzone channel is pretty much all that gets play at my house , I watch the games that are still going after the redzone goes off at 7 but it's very rare that I just flip between the games. The redzone channel I does all the flipping for me

The Crimedog

Best ASA Baterator
Redzone channel is pretty much all that gets play at my house , I watch the games that are still going after the redzone goes off at 7 but it's very rare that I just flip between the games. The redzone channel I does all the flipping for me

I guess it would, but I want to see everything, not just scoring plays. There's a lot you miss if you cut out 87% of the game.

worthitall

Addicted to Softballfans
I have NFL ticket. Im constantly flipping back and forth. Redzone channel is nice but I like seeing how my players are doing between the 20s also

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
Red Zone Channel is a fantasy footballer's wet dream. They show more than you would expect, and without commercials.

Roll1

OBGYN
RZ is cool but if you know how to use the Ticket you can see alot more of all the games in real time. Most of the stuff RZ plays I saw 3 minutes before. Plus I catch all the injuries and important play between the 20's before my Fantasy nemesis.

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
Casey......... Lolz son, lolz.

Not all pre-camp calls are gonna be good. Win some, lose some.

Besides, you had a chance to make a cool $100 on it. I called you out straight-up. If you were so certain at the time, why didn't you step up?

I put them out and July and am following them. OTOH, you're now calling out Bell and telling us how you were right that Bush would get most of the touches last week...all after the fact. Well done. A regular FF Nostradamus.

Last edited:

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
Bell was drafted in all of my leagues sans one. I think primarily because Bush is not known to stay healthy for 16 games

The Crimedog

Best ASA Baterator
That and honestly in this offense there's still 15 touches for Bell per game. That's enough for 5 catches 50 yds and a TD. That's 16 points without him running the ball.