First Attempt at Relacing (Pics Inside)

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
Here are pics from my first relace. Honestly I've never really paid much attention to how gloves are constructed but it's really interested. I don't think I'll be relacing again anytime soon but it was fun while it lasted and I'm proud I was able to do it. Positive feedback only. ;)

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
your web top spiral shouldn't connect to the index finger

You're talking about the peice that goes over the top kind of? Yeah, I assumed that was wrong but it looked okay so I left it. Hoping to relace this is royal after the season so I'll address that later. Thanks for the feedback, despite it not being 100% positive.

DIRTY 30

You're wallering out those holes with 1/4" lace everywhere. Use 3/16" everywhere except the web and fingers. Everywhere else does not receive stress from catching a ball, so they don't need 1/4".

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
You're wallering out those holes with 1/4" lace everywhere. Use 3/16" everywhere except the web and fingers. Everywhere else does not receive stress from catching a ball, so they don't need 1/4".

See, the place I bought it told me it was 3/16. I measured it and it was right in between. It was difficult to tell what actual size it was.

DIRTY 30

Order ya some 3/16" from the SBF store. It'll give you a chance to lace the palm correctly as well. :cool:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Nice first relace.

I find most lace is just a tad under the nominal dimension. What you got there is definitely all 1/4". Try to work the knots so that the smooth side of the leather is on the outside of the knot. Coming out of the front of the finger, the lace should dart into the tunnel and out the back side, then come over the top to the front through the first hole on the front and out the same hole it originally went in. And then the spiral begins.

Something off about the palm too. You need four adjoining loops and then you skip the next space, etc. How'd you get those last two in a row?

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
Order ya some 3/16" from the SBF store. It'll give you a chance to lace the palm correctly as well. :cool:

Nice first relace.

I find most lace is just a tad under the nominal dimension. What you got there is definitely all 1/4". Try to work the knots so that the smooth side of the leather is on the outside of the knot. Coming out of the front of the finger, the lace should dart into the tunnel and out the back side, then come over the top to the front through the first hole on the front and out the same hole it originally went in. And then the spiral begins.

Something off about the palm too. You need four adjoining loops and then you skip the next space, etc. How'd you get those last two in a row?

Yeah, the palm was a disaster, I tried watching the videos but the Mizuno was a little different than the Wilson Dirty was using and it got weird for second. What color is comparable to what I have when I order new lace for the plam/heel/thumb/pinky?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Any tan will match. Tan mostly darkens over time, so it should all look similar soon enough if it isn't a perfect match right away.

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
Any tan will match. Tan mostly darkens over time, so it should all look similar soon enough if it isn't a perfect match right away.

What's with the extra lace in the palm that goes up to the thumb. It seems to be just a Mizuno thing. Also, why the extra run on the pinky. Made it very difficult to follow the video when the glove was kind of unique structurally.

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
More room for two in the pinky.

Just ordered some tan 3/16 from Glovesmith. I'll redo the palm when it gets here. Can you or Rous or Position 3 briefly tell me the main issue?

I should've waited one more hole before starting the regular every other pattern correct?

Last edited:

Trung1130

FREE AGENT FOR LIFE
the last loop at the top of the web should be doubled up. See pics below
null_zps34a96367.jpg

null_zpsa472810e.jpg