First Outdoor BP This Year

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
Been to the cage a few times this offseason and was hitting good or so I thought. First outdoor BP yesterday and it was terrible. I didn't even have WTP, timing felt off, and was getting under a lot of balls. Hit a few square and had some nice lasers, but just not as good as I expected. I never really paid much attention the past two years to how long it took to get going again, but how about the rest of you guys? I hope it's just rust and not me trying to make too many adjustments to improve my swing.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's really easy to do when you've only been hitting in a cage. I haven't gotten to take outdoor bp yet, but my timing has been off for both tournies so far. If your cage has a low ceiling and the guy has to pitch from closer than 50' it can really effect your timing. Our first cage we had to pitch from 40', and it was only slightly better than soft toss.

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
It was about 60 yesterday, so I couldn't pass up the chance.

Yeah, pitching between 30-40ft in the cage, so could definitely be a timing issue. Not to mention half my bp balls were crappy Richard's generic softballs my wife got me for Xmas. Hitting them was like hitting a pillow. The other balls were 52/300 Trump Stote's (old game balls)which flew well, but have seen a good amount of bp. Might be time for some Evil BP Rockets...

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
I try to avoid the cages unless absolutely necessary forthat reason. I'd rather take dry swings with my tee set up for a frame of reference for contact, and something set as thepitching rubber for the release point

dtrotd

Coach
SLOW DOWN
Slow everything right down! Get your timing down from real pitching and focus on getting your bat solid on the ball. Even if it's just hitting weak ground balls back at the pitcher or whichever side suits your swing.
Then build up till you get your swing speed and power up to game ready.
Don't just come out swinging for the fences.
Everyone focuses BP on hitting bombs instead of putting good swings on the ball!

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
SLOW DOWN
Slow everything right down! Get your timing down from real pitching and focus on getting your bat solid on the ball. Even if it's just hitting weak ground balls back at the pitcher or whichever side suits your swing.
Then build up till you get your swing speed and power up to game ready.
Don't just come out swinging for the fences.
Everyone focuses BP on hitting bombs instead of putting good swings on the ball!

That's what I was doing, trying to go yard since I got some new bats over the winter. Kinda gave up on that and worked on hitting oppo and line drives. This was my first year of going to the cage during the winter hoping it'd keep me from having to shake off the rust, but apparently it did more harm than good. I was just shocked because it was like I took a huge step back from where I was when fall ball ended, and I was hitting very well then.

FAT JESUS

More than likely
In a cage its impossible to pitch from the right distance because of the low net height in most, plus it narrows your plane of vision making everything go through the middle. It really ****s up your timing getting pitches on top of you so fast. I skipped it mostly this year. Hit outside twice so far and did not see any drop off. Where last year my first couple outdoor bp's didn't feel right. Don't worry you're not crazy. We play indoor one night a week instead, it's way more productive. Lots of times we can pool some money and the guy will keep the lights on for a hour or so after games to get real bp in......there's ways around it. Or just move to San Diego which is what I'm about ready to do.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
Did you remember to drink beer before stepping into the box? That's usually the key.

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
I felt like I was waiting and waiting on the pitches and just felt off. I guess next year I'll just hit off a tee in the cage because it was really tough to not get frustrated.

I lived in SD for 4 years and loved it, but my time in the Marines was up, so moved back to beautiful Michigan. I definitely miss the weather and great food!

Haha, you know, I actually thought about having a few beers before but decided against it.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tee work messes with me even more. I may be the only one, but it's easier for me to go from cage timing to game timing than with a tee. My timing is not really the problem off the tee normally, but it's the vertical timing component.

white_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe you guys who are against cages have smaller cages at your disposal but last time I hit in a cage (had nearly 60 ft to pitch from and about 12 ft high. Okay for flat utrip pitches) I learned how to hit middle very well. It came in handy that following weekend...

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
Well at least I know I'm not the only one. I do need to work on hitting middle more and was able to do that a lot better than I was last year, so I guess I worked on something.

The cages are a decent size, but definitely couldn't get good arc on my pitches because of height restrictions, so had to pitch from 40ft or so.

That's really easy to do when you've only been hitting in a cage. I haven't gotten to take outdoor bp yet, but my timing has been off for both tournies so far. If your cage has a low ceiling and the guy has to pitch from closer than 50' it can really effect your timing. Our first cage we had to pitch from 40', and it was only slightly better than soft toss.

That's exactly what I felt like on Saturday. Timing was off. Wasn't hitting the ball on the sweet spot, just the end of the bat. I was able to get into a nice line drive groove at the end.

Definitely had something to do with the different look from the cage.

Did you remember to drink beer before stepping into the box? That's usually the key.

Practice like you play, for sure.

u234bob

Blah Blah Blah
Focus on simply putting the barrel on the ball. Start with nice slow easy swings just putting the barrel on the ball.
After good contact is made a few times and you get that "feeling" back turn it up a notch.
When it goes south again just focus on watching that ball hit the barrel.

It will all come back with no frustration.