"Flare" Glove Question:

freelanceterry

Addicted to Softballfans
So I've been looking around for info on "why the flare?"...the actual functionality of the shape...and all I could muster up on it is, of course, a promo/advert/press release from LS (portion following - Italics mine, enphasis added, ellipses used for brevity):

"...they (MLB Players) were actually pressing the pocket outward and flaring the fingertips back, creating a more flat, open surface. Louisville Slugger’s designers developed the Flare Design...to provide...a larger catching surface and easy exchange to the throwing hand."

I haven't owned one...and my typical break-in style has been a pretty straight thumb w/ a slight inward curl to all other fingers.

Is what LS claiming true? Is there a funcional advantage to this shape in a glove? Or are they mimicking an aesthetic trend among MLB-ers to cash in?

Looking for thoughts on owners/users of the LS Flare or from those who break-in in the "flare" style.

Last edited:

KannonsDad

**** you
I form gloves similarly to you (by your description). Never used a flare. Wouldn't mind trying it to see the pros/cons.

Jussstin

Manager
I flare my thumb with a slight inward curve on the pinky/ring finger for my infield glove, and flare out both sides on outfield glove... I like it.

Bigu430

The Veteran
I just looked at a pic of that on google. As an infeilder those gloves look freaking worthless! I break my gloves in the rolling the edges around the pocket.

freelanceterry

Addicted to Softballfans
The Trap-eze looks beautiful with flare, dunno if it is functionally better than any other web tho :p

Agreed.

I have an AMG1275 buff/combo. Picked up last year. Playing SS. Worked ok for me last year but we don't play often. Been working on it and working on it and saw major improvement in it over the winter.

IMO, the nokona 12.75" is a very underated glove for softball infield. Yes, maybe a "bit" larege for infield...but it's their baseball version, so it plays smaller.

I finally moved my ring finger into the pinkey slot...and pointer into the ring...and wow, did that pocket deepen up and I have far more squeeze power!

Flaring the thumb - keeping the slight inward curve on the others - and will give that a go this season. We'll see.

Deezsalty

Addicted to Softballfans
Agreed.

I have an AMG1275 buff/combo. Picked up last year. Playing SS. Worked ok for me last year but we don't play often. Been working on it and working on it and saw major improvement in it over the winter.

IMO, the nokona 12.75" is a very underated glove for softball infield. Yes, maybe a "bit" larege for infield...but it's their baseball version, so it plays smaller.

I finally moved my ring finger into the pinkey slot...and pointer into the ring...and wow, did that pocket deepen up and I have far more squeeze power!

Flaring the thumb - keeping the slight inward curve on the others - and will give that a go this season. We'll see.

I've got another AMG1275 for you then. Give you a good deal;). LMK

freelanceterry

Addicted to Softballfans
I've got another AMG1275 for you then. Give you a good deal;). LMK

pm me pics/price - I may just have enough grain belts in me to pull a trigger.

That, and there are a couple teamates who said they really liked mine. I could probably unload it easy enough.

Why no love for the amg1275 for softball on this site? Am i missing something? Too big? H-web?....is Vinci THAT much better??!?!?!?!!

Last edited: