Any Fly out, runner leaving early appeal.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
I didn't want the question to get lost in the other two threads.

Same scenario, 1 out, runner on 3rd and another runner on. Trailing runner leaves early, runner on third does not. Does the appeal have to include getting the ball to the occupied base and touching it and if so - is that the beginning of the appeal for timing purposes? Or can the appeal be started verbally as soon as the catch is made, and the act of touching the bag with possession of the ball completing it? I know it's a timing play, so my question is, if the runner on 3rd scores before the ball makes it to the trailing runner's previously occupied bag, is there a way to get the run to *not* count even if I was verbally appealing that the runner left early, and we just couldn't get the ball in quick enough?

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Speaking ASA, this can be done as a live ball appeal or a dead ball appeal. If the ball is live and returned to an infielder and the base that was left early is touched while the fielder firmly holds the ball prior to the runner returning to the base the runner is out. If this out occurs before the runner from third crosses the plate, then that is the third out and the run does not score. If it occurs after the runner has crossed the plate, the run counts and it's still the third out.

If the ball is dead, all you need to do is appeal that the runner left early. The run would still count, as clearly the runner had already crossed the plate at the time of the appeal.

I'm reasonably sure that this would be the same in USSSA, but I never play utrip.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't do U-Trip either....but just from memory, having read through their appeal process before, they are different than ASA.

The live ball appeals would be the same- just tag the base while holding the ball. Their dead ball appeal procedure is very different.

ASA requires only that an infielder, with or without the ball, verbally appeals the rule infraction.

USSSA makes the players and the umpire go throught the whole rigamarole of the pitcher getting the ball on the rubber, the umpire making the ball live then having the pitcher announce what is being appealed and throwing over to a fielder to have him tag the base.

Even though their rule book calls this a "dead ball appeal", it says that the ball is "live" just for the purpose of the appeal, nothing else (no other plays can be made except the appeal).

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
BretMan, USSSA no longer requires the ball be thrown on a dead ball appeal. An infielder does have to announce what they are appealing after the umpire has signaled play ball.