Force at 2nd or Am I crazy

yance

Addicted to Softballfans
Runner at 1st and 3rd with 2 outs. Pop fly center fielder makes what appears to be a diving catch. batter runs hard to first. Getting there as the ball pops out of the center fielder's glove. runner at first heads to second. Center fielder throws to second for the force. Ump calls him safe. Ump argues that since the batter had touched first before the force at 2nd you now had to tag the runner. argued for several minutes but he was adamant. Am i nuts? is there some strange rule no one knows about?

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Ask him if he would have been safe returning to first now that the batter runner had touched it and watch his head explode.

blakcherry329

My question is, how did the runner on first get forced when there was 2 out at the time of the hit? He should have been running full out on contact.

blakcherry329

I think we were talking about this in another thread. A lot of guys just don't know how to play the game.
Yeah, but there is no excuse for not running on the crack of the bat with two outs. Can you be that clueless? And if he is that clueless, usually someone on the team is there to coach the guy up. Everyone usually says "two outs run on anything". not to mention the CF dove for the ball and it popped out, so there was added time to get to the base. SMH, I weep for our future.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, but there is no excuse for not running on the crack of the bat with two outs. Can you be that clueless? And if he is that clueless, usually someone on the team is there to coach the guy up. Everyone usually says "two outs run on anything". not to mention the CF dove for the ball and it popped out, so there was added time to get to the base. SMH, I weep for our future.
Think about how clueless the average player is and realize half of them are dumber than that. Things like this are the only reason I'm hesitating on working E next year.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Think about how clueless the average player is and realize half of them are dumber than that. Things like this are the only reason I'm hesitating on working E next year.
Playing E this year was kinda painful but admittedly, I'm not up to playing D right now.

I hadn't played tournaments for about a decade until this year, and my schedule didn't allow me to play or even take bp at all other than tournaments. I think outside of tournaments I've only played 6 games this season.

I'm not sure I can play D level OF anymore but I did have a great year with the glove at 3B so maybe that's my future.

Over the winter I'm going to reach out to some guys I know and weigh my options.