USSSA Force Rule and Walk-off

Bottom 6. Tied 4-4. Bases loaded, 1 out.

Coach tells guys on first and second that their "runs don't count, so don't do anything dumb."

Batter grounds the ball deep to short and the SS boots it (clearly an error) but the ball remained in the infield. Runner from third scores before the SS could get to the ball, but the runners at first and second barely left the bags. Umpire calls the game after the runner scored and the SS grabbed the ball.

Question: Because of the force was on, the SS could have tagged the runner from second and stepped on the base, turning a double play, negating the run, and thus ending the game in a tie.

The fact that an error occurred is inconsequential, correct?

Footnote: I was on the team that "won"

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
You're right. If they were put out for outs 2 and 3, that run doesn't count. The umpire should have allowed play to complete and jumped the gun on "calling the game"

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, the fact that one runner crossed the plate shouldn't have ended the game on the spot. There were still two other outs available to the defense and if the third out was a force out, then no runs should have scored.

A wise man once said, "It ain't over until it's over", and this game should not have been over!

sjury

The Old Man
Yeah, sounds like the umpire had a hot date. Everyone has to take a base, or the force is still in play. SMH

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
Now... I'm not sure if it is different from baseball but if the run scores and the Batter Runner reaches first then we have a ball game, if play doesn't continue. The ending of the Reds Dbacks game earlier this year is an example.

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
Yes, the fact that one runner crossed the plate shouldn't have ended the game on the spot. There were still two other outs available to the defense and if the third out was a force out, then no runs should have scored.

A wise man once said, "It ain't over until it's over", and this game should not have been over!
So if you point this out to the umpire and he realizes his mistake, how do you remedy the situation?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
So if you point this out to the umpire and he realizes his mistake, how do you remedy the situation?

Call out "hey, Blue!" as you tag one of the bases to which the offense was forced to advance. If he doesn't call the out, file the protest.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Call out "hey, Blue!" as you tag one of the bases to which the offense was forced to advance. If he doesn't call the out, file the protest.

After all these years of waiting for the opportunity, I finally got to do that!!

The ump was walking to the parking lot and on the other side of the back stop. He looked up, then away and kept on walking. I could read his mind as he thought "whatever dude". He was a generally unhappy fellow who would never engage me (or anyone else) in conversation, and I never see him anymore.

We take all our protests to the bar and leave them there with the empty pitchers and piles of chicken wing bones. :thumb:

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
On the last play of the game, you have to appeal before the umpire leaves the field. Once he does it's too late.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
After all these years of waiting for the opportunity, I finally got to do that!!

The ump was walking to the parking lot and on the other side of the back stop. He looked up, then away and kept on walking. I could read his mind as he thought "whatever dude". He was a generally unhappy fellow who would never engage me (or anyone else) in conversation, and I never see him anymore.

We take all our protests to the bar and leave them there with the empty pitchers and piles of chicken wing bones. :thumb:

And you did it too late. Someone from your team should have caught the umpire's attention before he left the field. Once he was on the other side of the backstop, no appeal could be made.

Artie DeVanzo

Addicted to Softballfans
Been involved in 2 games like this.
First time was in a big tournament(McQuades) and we played like crap the whole game in what was a pillow fight. We scored 8 in top of 7th to tie the game at 9. The team we are playing loads the bases with no outs. Shallow fly ball for the first out. Line drive to me at 3rd for the 2nd out. The next hitter hits it in the 3rd-short hole but we were playing deep all around with our pitcher planning on covering 2nd for the force out in the middle. Our SS is there but it takes a b ad hop and hits him in the shoulder and spins away just into the grass. Everyone is hanging their heads and the guy from 3rd trots home, the guy on first cruises into 2nd and the hitter runs to first....I look up and see the guy on 2nd had taken about 3 steps towards third and just stopped and started celebrating and I holler at our SS who looks up and realizes what is going on and he slides into the grass and throws it to me for the force on 3rd to end the inning. Our bats wake up and we hang 14 in the top of the 8th and they go quietly.

A couple years back in a league game I am catching and we are tied in bottom of 7th with 2 outs and bases loaded and their hitter gaps our left and center fielder which should have ended the game. I see the guy on first base take a couple steps to 2nd and then turn around and head to home plate/dugout area to congratulate his teammates and I turn to the ump who saw what I saw and said we are still live right and he just sighs and said yes. Our left fielder had went and grabbed the ball and was slowly jogging in with it and the rest of the team was moving toward our dugout and I didn't want to draw attention so I just casually walked toward 2nd base and told our LF to throw me the ball for the force out to end the inning.

I know, I know, cool stories bro.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
On the last play of the game, you have to appeal before the umpire leaves the field. Once he does it's too late.

I was waiting for the ball to come back from the outfield. I didn't want to yell and tip my hand and nobody else on the field had a clue.

The umpire was gone before the teams shook hands lol. It was probably 20 seconds. I looked up and he was gone :)

lanikeas

O2BSURFN
Now... I'm not sure if it is different from baseball but if the run scores and the Batter Runner reaches first then we have a ball game, if play doesn't continue. The ending of the Reds Dbacks game earlier this year is an example.

Uummm...No, not even close. Baseball and Softball would be have the same rule(s) in this case. See Bretman's response!

RC#13

Part Time Player
Not that I think any of the insights posted on this or any thread are incorrect but I have had an idea for some time now. I have pitched (mostly tournaments...you name the organization and I have been there) for over 20 years and have umpired for about 15 years(mostly tournaments) and I had an idea some time back. I think when a new guy starts playing softball he should have to umpire 5 games before he starts his softball carreer. 1-he would have a better respect for the umpire and 2)he would have to know the rule book! Thoughts??

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
Not that I think any of the insights posted on this or any thread are incorrect but I have had an idea for some time now. I have pitched (mostly tournaments...you name the organization and I have been there) for over 20 years and have umpired for about 15 years(mostly tournaments) and I had an idea some time back. I think when a new guy starts playing softball he should have to umpire 5 games before he starts his softball carreer. 1-he would have a better respect for the umpire and 2)he would have to know the rule book! Thoughts??

Because 5 games will cover everything that they will need to know. I know guy that have umpired for 25 years who still think that live ball appeals are force plays.

RC#13

Part Time Player
^^^^^You are absolutely right. But the idea would be to give them an idea of what it's like and then when they are playing they can have more respect for 1) the game and 2)umpires. It's like when the public goes on a ride along with the cops. It doesn't make them qualified to be a police officer. Just gives them a perspective from the cops view.

Of course anything like that would never happen but 99% of players have no idea what an umpire goes thru during a game. I played for years before I umpired and the first day I umpired I got a completely new respect for both the game and umpires. One thing I realized right away was when a player on the field makes an error his teammates would give him words of encouragement and try to"pick him up". A blue made an "error" and all hell broke loose!!!

Joker

so you want to put everyone who has never played out there as an umpire? nothing can go wrong there

brave21

Bottom 6. Tied 4-4. Bases loaded, 1 out.

Coach tells guys on first and second that their "runs don't count, so don't do anything dumb."

Batter grounds the ball deep to short and the SS boots it (clearly an error) but the ball remained in the infield. Runner from third scores before the SS could get to the ball, but the runners at first and second barely left the bags. Umpire calls the game after the runner scored and the SS grabbed the ball.

Question: Because of the force was on, the SS could have tagged the runner from second and stepped on the base, turning a double play, negating the run, and thus ending the game in a tie.

The fact that an error occurred is inconsequential, correct?

Footnote: I was on the team that "won"

brave21

Was this a 6 inning league or tournament game?if not game wouldn't of been over anyways since most are 7 innings.