ASA Foul tipped ball at home plate

Speed Demon

Part Time Player
Yesterday's game had a interesting scenario. In our co-Ed league, a female batter was at the plate with 1 strike on her. She popped up directly over her head and the female catcher was coming to make a play on the ball. The batter never moved, but the ball hit the ground before the catcher moved into the batter's box. Here's my question, if that catcher was fast enough to run through the batter and still not make a catch on the pop up, would the batter be considered out due to "batter interference"? The closest application of the ASA rules that I applied would be Rule 8, Section F, 1. The "catcher" became a "fielder" in that instance.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Yesterday's game had a interesting scenario. In our co-Ed league, a female batter was at the plate with 1 strike on her. She popped up directly over her head and the female catcher was coming to make a play on the ball. The batter never moved, but the ball hit the ground before the catcher moved into the batter's box. Here's my question, if that catcher was fast enough to run through the batter and still not make a catch on the pop up, would the batter be considered out due to "batter interference"? The closest application of the ASA rules that I applied would be Rule 8, Section F, 1. The "catcher" became a "fielder" in that instance.

The catcher is a fielder for the purpose of these rules, but there is no such rule as 8.F.1. I assume you are referring to 8.2.F.1

The BB is not a sanctuary. Once the ball is batted, the player must make a reasonable effort to give the defense the opportunity to field the ball. When I say reasonable effort I mean the catcher cannot just jump into a batter in mid swing or follow through to get an INT call.

Remember, the umpire must deem the ball catchable (?) by the defender to rule INT.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
And just an fyi, a "foul tip" is a ball that goes from the bat sharply/directly to the catcher's hand(s) and or glove and is caught... and yes, there is a difference, it's in the book.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
If you thought that the catcher could have caught the ball if the batter hadn't stood there (interfered) then the batter is out. If you thought that there was no way for the catcher to make that play regardless, foul ball.

JabNblue

We are talking about it seems a tiny blooper pop up. The catcher, isn't too far from the batters box, who should have vacated their position once contact of the ball was made. Batter is out.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
We are talking about it seems a tiny blooper pop up. The catcher, isn't too far from the batters box, who should have vacated their position once contact of the ball was made. Batter is out.

You don't know that. AFAWK,the batter could have still been following through with the swing. The batter cannot just disappear the moment s/he makes contact with the ball.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Correct, Irish. There's a case play in which the batter hits the ball, and both runner and catcher take off right away. They bump into each other right in front of the plate. The correct call is... no call, play on. Both players were doing what they were supposed to do, and it all comes together so fast that neither side could avoid it.