Fp catchers mitt

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I pitch, and was wondering if anyone had ever tried a fp catchers mitt for pitching?

I know they'd have more palm padding, which i don't need, but didn't know if they had stiffer fingers and finger padding. I've taken a couple of hot shots this year already that got my thumb or pinky and weren't in the palm or pocket. As i get older, I'm basically just tired of my fingers hurting to be honest.

Just curious if a catchers Mitt or a 1b mitt, or just a stiffer if glove would be my best options other than not sucking. Lol. I've also heard of stays being put on the pinky and thumb, if y'all have experience with those.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
I've caught my daughter for the last 5+ years using a All-Star CMW3000 fastpitch mitt, it's an excellent mitt!

There's only 3 FP mitts I'd consider.....

A Rawlings HOH custom, so you're well onto $300+ and the wait for a custom.

All-Star CMW3000, or the newest equivalent, the CMW3001B AF Elite. Single break heel with unmatched thumb protection!!

Or a Vinci FP mitt, just stupid, ridiculously stupid thick palm pads, these are the hardest gloves on the planet to break in!!

https://ballgloves.com/all-star-fast-pitch-softball-catchers-mitt-33-5-black-right-hand-throw/

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
sounds like you need a wider pocket. maybe a batting glove but i'm thinking that won't help much. gloveworks makes a padded glove but that pretty much just helps the palm and pointer/middle fingers.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, the ring finger has been gimpy since i landed on it falling down the stairs, and the thumb gets hit at least once a year these days on bad hops or really hot shots.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, the ring finger has been gimpy since i landed on it falling down the stairs, and the thumb gets hit at least once a year these days on bad hops or really hot shots.

How about a wool felt palm pad? I put a 3/16" thick one in for a local guy and he loves it. While it would protect your fingers, I am not sure how much more padding could be put in to protect your thumb though. Oh, I just put a 1/8" on in my glove as I am now playing first base. Works pretty well.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I waa thinking more along the lines of stiffness, but a touch more padding might be enough. I'm hoping that i also don't have to pitch in 55 degree weather again which should also help.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've caught my daughter for the last 5+ years using a All-Star CMW3000 fastpitch mitt, it's an excellent mitt!

There's only 3 FP mitts I'd consider.....

A Rawlings HOH custom, so you're well onto $300+ and the wait for a custom.

All-Star CMW3000, or the newest equivalent, the CMW3001B AF Elite. Single break heel with unmatched thumb protection!!

Or a Vinci FP mitt, just stupid, ridiculously stupid thick palm pads, these are the hardest gloves on the planet to break in!!

https://ballgloves.com/all-star-fast-pitch-softball-catchers-mitt-33-5-black-right-hand-throw/

Thanks.

I went with the ask star and i think its exactly what I was looking for. Man this thing is stiff though! Any break in advice?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks.

I went with the ask star and i think its exactly what I was looking for. Man this thing is stiff though! Any break in advice?
Get the parts you want to soften up pretty wet and then play catch until it dries. The next time you are headed out to play catch, do the same, or use Lexol brown if the leather is feeling dry. Again, play catch until it dries. A couple of hours of catch like this and it should form well to your hand. Then just more catch (or a mallet if you want).