Freak 12 vs. Freak Black utrip

HunglowJoe909

Addicted to Softballfans
Is this the same bat but different barrel size? Had a teammate yesterday bring out his Freak 12 that he unwrapped the other day in league night. He said the thing is ridiculous. A few of us hit it before our second game and we were all launching them. We used some classic M's and some random 44/375's.

A couple months ago, my buddy brought a 50 swing Freak Black utrip with him to our BP session. It seemed stiff until about the 150 hit mark. We used mainly evil rocket's. Seemed like to me, the Freak 12 was way ahead of the Black otw. Anybody else hit these 2 back to back? Any opinions on this?

ninerempire25

Addicted to Softballfans
Was about to post this question. I just picked up a Black and like it a lot already. Only has about 60 swings on it so far.

Was thinking about picking up a 12 also to try out

HunglowJoe909

Addicted to Softballfans
Was about to post this question. I just picked up a Black and like it a lot already. Only has about 60 swings on it so far.

Was thinking about picking up a 12 also to try out

Was your Black hot otw? Could be that some open up quicker than others. Not sure. That was just my experience with those 2 particular bats.

dmk15

Addicted to Softballfans
ive hit both out the wrapper & the freak 12 is hotter, but i like the bigger barrel on the freak black...

ive had a freak black utrip & my 2pc psycho was hotter from swing 1...

sold my freak black but i mite pick up another, dont think i gave it enough BP...

HunglowJoe909

Addicted to Softballfans
ive hit both out the wrapper & the freak 12 is hotter, but i like the bigger barrel on the freak black...

ive had a freak black utrip & my 2pc psycho was hotter from swing 1...

sold my freak black but i mite pick up another, dont think i gave it enough BP...

I've been curious about the 2pc psycho also. Heard they were crazy hot. Felt like the 12 came through the zone really fast. Saw a lot of them out there yesterday.

ninerempire25

Addicted to Softballfans
Wow! That's saying something. I didn't get that with the one I swung. Even though my OG DC wht was stiff, the exit speed and distance was there from swing 1 with my evil rockets.

And I'm a big fan of the og dc41. Before swinging my Black......og balanced z2k and og dc41 were my gamers

Tictac020

Addicted to BP
Hit the reissue White DC41 yesterday and put 4 44's out and 3 52's....outta the wrapper with about 35 balls... couple other guys hit it(26oz) and got about 150-200 swings on it....feels great and really think it
Opened up quicker then the OG white DC....it's a great bat and glad I bought one!!!

Wunbagga

Addicted to Softballfans
I have had and swung both bats. As usual with all bats, to each their own in what works or feels best for them. To me the Freak Black was hotter out of the wrapper. As well as the more hits it seemed to perform better. And out distance the Freak12. I am going off of my experience with out of wrapper to around 300 hits. I crowd the plate so the 13" barrel on the Freak Black works better for my swing. However the endload in the Freak12 feels better going through the zone or dry swinging.

FAT JESUS

More than likely
My 200 hit FB tests at the limit, my 800 hit DC is like 205, the F12's will do the same. It's what fits your swing best, all the Miken 2 pieces are ridiculous. the DC/FB/4TF is the same barrel, the F12 is just shorter. Some players find out the shorter barrel whips through the zone better for them.

NorCal5150

Rep for GS Sports
I have hit multiple Blacks and 12's back to back. I do like the feel of the freak 12's but all of my blacks out preform my 12's. For whatever reason the longer barrels to work better with my swing. Big kuddos to Miken for making so many different models with different specs to accommodate the different feel and weighting that people prefer.

I tried the F12 and the exit speed was crazy hot out of wrapper. It was a 28oz but still manageable not too heavy. I also tried the Black and they are really comparable.

HunglowJoe909

Addicted to Softballfans
I think to me it was the way the F12 was whipping through the zone and distance I was getting out of it. Distance doesn't always mean consistency though. That's why I got my OG DC wht and 4TF. Some can go back and forth between big barrel and a 12" barrel with no prob. Hitting the SS. For me, I gotta stick with one or the other for that tourney or game. Either way, I'm sure the FB, DC, 12, and 4TF will all preform about the same. The 4TF was scorching otw also. Just super impressed with the F12 last sat. Miken hit it on the screws this year killing the utrip/nsa line.

FlashTheLeather

Addicted to Softballfans
Quick question for anyone that has hit both the Freak Black and Freak 12. I am not talking distance here, just asking about pure feel. I have never been a Miken guy so I am going to do my best to describe what I am talking about with a couple other manufacturers.

Back in the day, when Worth came out with the Titan series, the bat felt very crisp (for lack of better word) every time I hit them. That continued into the 2010 line as I felt they were very crisp. Jump to 2011, and while performance was great, every time I hit the ball I never knew if the ball was going to be a weak ass line drive to the SS or a 320'+ HR. It just felt soft. It felt so soft I stopped swinging them altogether.

To go with the same concept, the OG Z1000s felt very crisp to me. It seemed like you had immediate feedback the second you made contact of how well you hit the ball. The second year of the Z1000s was the same, but the Z2000s also seemed "soft" to me. Once again, I would hit the ball and not know if I squared it up for just a line drive or if it was going to fly. Performance was once again good, but the bat seemed to lack any type of feedback.

I have not swung a Freak Black or Freak 12 yet, but how would you describe the barrel? When you make contact does it seem to give true feedback or is it soft/spongey in general?

Ballisttic

Star Player
Quick question for anyone that has hit both the Freak Black and Freak 12. I am not talking distance here, just asking about pure feel. I have never been a Miken guy so I am going to do my best to describe what I am talking about with a couple other manufacturers.

Back in the day, when Worth came out with the Titan series, the bat felt very crisp (for lack of better word) every time I hit them. That continued into the 2010 line as I felt they were very crisp. Jump to 2011, and while performance was great, every time I hit the ball I never knew if the ball was going to be a weak ass line drive to the SS or a 320'+ HR. It just felt soft. It felt so soft I stopped swinging them altogether.

To go with the same concept, the OG Z1000s felt very crisp to me. It seemed like you had immediate feedback the second you made contact of how well you hit the ball. The second year of the Z1000s was the same, but the Z2000s also seemed "soft" to me. Once again, I would hit the ball and not know if I squared it up for just a line drive or if it was going to fly. Performance was once again good, but the bat seemed to lack any type of feedback.

I have not swung a Freak Black or Freak 12 yet, but how would you describe the barrel? When you make contact does it seem to give true feedback or is it soft/spongey in general?

I would describe the f12 barrel as crisp with any ball harder than a 52/300

FlashTheLeather

Addicted to Softballfans
Are you talking about flex when speaking of crisp ?

No, I am more meaning barrel response. I can take some of my Demarinis and they have crazy handle flex, but they don't feel soft when hitting the barrel. On other hand, I felt like the Z2K was pretty stiff overall but the barrel felt spongey.

NorCal5150

Rep for GS Sports
No, I am more meaning barrel response. I can take some of my Demarinis and they have crazy handle flex, but they don't feel soft when hitting the barrel. On other hand, I felt like the Z2K was pretty stiff overall but the barrel felt spongey.

I have multiple Blacks and 12's. IMO both start with a nice crisp feel but start to soften up more and more as the bats get more swings. That being said even with my 1200+ swings blacks I can still tell how well I hit the ball at contact.

In comparison to the OG Titan line of Worth's they do not stay anywhere near as crisp as those things stayed with equal hits.

King Hippo

Star Player
Agreed^^^. On my F12 the bat is stiff, barrel is soft and gets softer feeling with more hits. But it's very obvious when you hit the sweet spot, opposed to getting one a little closer to the handle. You can definitely feel the difference. I've got around 400 hits on mine.