Freak98 with no serial # ???

SoxFan81

Addicted to Softballfans
A teammate asked me to sell a bat for them, it was obtained from a team that was sponsored by miken many years ago.I know little about mikens and was hoping someone could help.It is a 27oz flat sticker freak98,has a W stamped end cap . I thought these were supposed to have serial numbers above the grip on the taper in yellow ?? This bat has the original grip but I see no serial numbers.He got this bat long before people started painting ultra 2's , so I really am trying to figure out what it is before I sell it for him.

SoxFan81

Addicted to Softballfans
Ok, just inspected it. There is no way it has a serial number, so does that for sure mean it must be a painted bat?? Would the decals be visible if
It was a painted bat??? Cuz there is absolutely no lift or any visible signs of the decals looking suspect. Believe me I'm NOT trying to sell this bat if it's not legit. But I want to be 100% sure before I go hand it back to the owner and tell him that whoever he got it from sold him dirty equipment. The owner swings aluminum, this is his 1st composite bat, he didn't like it so it's been sitting in his bag for years. I swing a stock bat

SoxFan81

Addicted to Softballfans
My photobucket is acting up, I got the pics on my iPhone I'll try and get them posted after I get home, on which side is the serial number and how far down the taper in yellow is it supposed to be?? The bat has bag/ground scratches but not that bad .

SoxFan81

Addicted to Softballfans
Pm me an email addy or phone # and I'll send them now if somebody would be kind enough to post them , won't be home for a few hours. Really want to get some answers on this. Thanks

Sherwood17

Mizuno Field Advisor
It does not mean that is is a painted bat. I had one before that didnt not have the serial number on the taper. When I went to return it they told me to put all 8's in the return for. CS worker said every once in a while bats are missed. Say at the end of a shift, week or even model change. Yours was probably missed just like the one I had

D_Wreck55

Addicted to Softballfans
serial is typically located exactly 2 inches from where the handle ends and the taper begins. sometimes they are very very faint and can be hard to see.

00BigMattyC00

Addicted to Softballfans
If it has a W could it be a warranty replacement from back when and they didnt serial # the replacements because of the fact it had the W and couldnt be returned anyway?

hinzy

}}i{{
If it has a W could it be a warranty replacement from back when and they didnt serial # the replacements because of the fact it had the W and couldnt be returned anyway?

1) The serial numbers are put on before they mark anything WR
2) They always serial numbered bats, WR or not

jrockdog

Splittin Gaps
IMG959691.jpg

IMG955787.jpg

IMG954676.jpg

IMG955978.jpg

IMG958512.jpg

IMG951416.jpg

IMG954057.jpg

Last edited:

SoxFan81

Addicted to Softballfans
Just text messaged pics of the bat ( both sides, endcap, knob and both sides of the taper 2 inches from the grip) a board bro will be posting them for me shortly.what color ribbon should it be under the grip?

SoxFan81

Addicted to Softballfans
Just peeled the grip off , gonna have the pics posted.it has a piece of blue ribbon about 4 inches from the knob then a white piece of ribbon an inch above that.also has numbers/letters scratched into the handle
Looks like: SXC610705

hinzy

}}i{{
Just peeled the grip off , gonna have the pics posted.it has a piece of blue ribbon about 4 inches from the knob then a white piece of ribbon an inch above that.also has numbers/letters scratched into the handle
Looks like: SXC610705

Blue and white are what freak 98's are.

quick23

Its a legit F98... The paint finish is correct. The painted Ultras with be super shiny, not a matte finish like from the factory...

quick23

Freak 98's dont have a matte finish from the factory.... WTF are you talking about?

I correct myself, not a matte finish like the Worth and Easton have been putting on. I have seen some of the best paint Ultras come out a town an hour and a half from me, but the finish is always too shiny compared how they came from the factory...

Last edited:

226z

Addicted to Softballfans
That's a legit freak 98 for sure and a first batch, or very close to one. Miken usually starts first runs on bats in September or October, and the 10705 number is the manufacture date. I had a bat once that didn't have a serial number and called miken about it. Back then they said first batch bats don't have serial numbers. It was an og ultra, and I think that only applied to they're older bats, but could be why it doesn't have one on the taper. In any case that's a very nice freak 98, and should fetch top dollar.