Girls high school fastpitch glove

trpltongue

Addicted to Softballfans
Morning all,

I know there are precious few ladies on the forum, but I’m hoping some of you dads have daughters that play fastpitch.

I want to buy a glove for my 5’8” daughter who’s playing HS fastpitch (pitcher/outfield/3B).

I bought her a 12” Vinci 22 model with Velcro fastening, but it’s too big for her hands, primarily the velcro adjustment is just too big and the hand stall is a bit large in general. She wears an adult small batting glove.

I’m now considering a Gloveworks softball glove but hoping to get some insight from everyone on here on the fit of the Gloveworks or any other customizable glove for a HS girl.

Thanks!

Russell

G R E G

PM AnnasDad He is all over gloves. an obsession lol. He is in the glove section all the time. I have the opposite problem. DD can palm a womens VB

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
My daughter wears Franklin adult small batting gloves, but she's 5'0". Your daughter has small hands! It's normally a safe bet to recommend a Vinci BV1929 for a girl who pitches, and plays IF & OF, it's a 12.5" glove that plays at 12.25". The Vinci RV1961 is also another strong consideration for a girl with small hands, It's stamped 12.75" and plays at 12.5". Both are baseball gloves. The BV1929 makes a great utility glove.

My only problem, the last couple of black Limited Vinci gloves I've handled, I've been way less than impressed with! I guess knowing that going in, and using a rep to get the best possible price, go for it. Those two Vinci's do make great fastpitch gloves, really small hand stalls!

I could list tons of different gloves for certain individual positions, but needing one glove for 3 different positions is a little tougher, it that situation larger is usually better. My daughter uses a 12" glove to pitch and play SS, she's never been an outfielder, makes her gloves purchases much easier!

trpltongue

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks!

Yeah her hands are relatively short for her height, but not too skinny.

How does the pocket compare on the 1929 vs a model 22? The other issue she’s had is that the pocket on the 22 model seems a bit shallow. She (and I) have had the ball pop out several times in play. The glove is broken in very well and super comfortable, but the 12” ball has a tendency to pop out.

I’m definitely leaning towards a larger glove, 12.5 or 12.75 for her. She’s currently using my old 1B glove at P and OF because she can’t trust the Vinci.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Thanks!

Yeah her hands are relatively short for her height, but not too skinny.

How does the pocket compare on the 1929 vs a model 22? The other issue she’s had is that the pocket on the 22 model seems a bit shallow. She (and I) have had the ball pop out several times in play. The glove is broken in very well and super comfortable, but the 12” ball has a tendency to pop out.

I’m definitely leaning towards a larger glove, 12.5 or 12.75 for her. She’s currently using my old 1B glove at P and OF because she can’t trust the Vinci.

So which model Vinci does she have, what size? The 22 just designates it's Steerhide. The 1929 and 1961 both have great pockets for a 12" softball.

Also, you should PM Dan Davis (@davisrelacing) here about a custom Gloveworks, the 12.25" GW I got from him had a very small hand stall, and it's a very well made glove! I'm sure Dan could point you in the right direction.

trpltongue

Addicted to Softballfans
Hmm, I’m not sure on the exact model. I ordered a 12” custom 22 series “factory pre broken in custom steer hide” with mesh back in June 2017 through David
Trimber.

I have actually reached out to Dan as well regarding Gloveworks options. He’s working to get me some photos of the different glove sizes to try to gauge the pocket depth. Unfortunately I don’t have a good feel for the hand stall size on the Gloveworks gloves.

Last edited:

Party mafia

Hmm, I’m not sure on the exact model. I ordered a 12” custom 22 series “factory pre broken in custom steer hide” with mesh back in June 2017 through David
Trimber.

I have actually reached out to Dan as well regarding Gloveworks options. He’s working to get me some photos of the different glove sizes to try to gauge the pocket depth. Unfortunately I don’t have a good feel for the hand shall size on the Gloveworks gloves.
you can buy the GW 12.25 glove from Anna's dad that he is selling. :)

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Trimber.

I have actually reached out to Dan as well regarding Gloveworks options. He’s working to get me some photos of the different glove sizes to try to gauge the pocket depth. Unfortunately I don’t have a good feel for the hand shall size on the Gloveworks gloves.

Sounds like our daughters have roughly the same hand size......I can tell you, the 12.25” GW I got from Dan fit her hand perfectly! Dan had already laced the wrist lap to the tightest setting and it had the perfect hand stall size.

It was a 12.25” I-web, awesome glove, great build and construction, just too flat and shallow for us, had it been deeper and more bowl shaped, it would have been perfect! It was just a really shallow Asian infield pattern, not the glove’s fault at all.

Party mafia

Sounds like our daughters have roughly the same hand size......I can tell you, the 12.25” GW I got from Dan fit her hand perfectly! Dan had already laced the wrist lap to the tightest setting and it had the perfect hand stall size.

It was a 12.25” I-web, awesome glove, great build and construction, just too flat and shallow for us, had it been deeper and more bowl shaped, it would have been perfect! It was just a really shallow Asian infield pattern, not the glove’s fault at all.
how about the rawlings Pro 1000 horween for his DD? would the pro 1000 horween a good choice for FP softball?

trpltongue

Addicted to Softballfans
Lol! I’ve already made a $200 mistake with the Vinci (although I have been using it for baseball with my sons 12U team since she’s not using it), I definitely don’t want to drop another $400 on 2 gloves :)

Below are a couple pics of the Vinci. Hand stall with the Velcro completely tight is too big. It’s a bit hard to see the gap but the glove just falls off her hand.

The pocket also just feels too small. Balls pop out occasionally which I’ve never had a problem with before. Of course this is also the smallest glove I’ve ever used.

Because of her shorter fingers, she needs something she can get her hand a bit further into and then tighten down a bit more.

6048E642-1BB8-4379-9CAE-94519CA3CADD.jpeg FF30406F-090F-472E-881E-4E851E0EDC4C.jpeg 7DBEA00F-030D-4246-BA38-78DA6CC1F40C.jpeg

Last edited:

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Does it not have the model stamped on either the inside of the thumb or pinky? Looks like a 11.5” glove to me. Get her a baseball glove, no velcro ever again!

trpltongue

Addicted to Softballfans
No model number stamped anywhere on it, but I could just barely make out a “PC” on the inside pinky.

I hear you on the Velcro, but she loves it. She likes to have the glove really cinched down on her hand. The adjustable leather straps don’t usually stay out very well.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
No model number stamped anywhere on it, but I could just barely make out a “PC” on the inside pinky.

I hear you on the Velcro, but she loves it. She likes to have the glove really cinched down on her hand. The adjustable leather straps don’t usually stay out very well.

Adjustable leather straps?? The problem with velcro, besides it being the weak link on a ball glove, is girls get in the habit of putting the glove on and cinching the velcro strap down with the glove and their hand open. The correct way to tighten down a velcro strapped glove is to put it on and close it, completely close the glove and then tighten the strap. Think about it, with the glove in the open position and the strap pulled tight, it pulls against itself when you try to close it, that may be the problem with balls popping out, along with that glove being too small.

Get her a baseball glove, velcro on ball gloves really does suck!

trpltongue

Addicted to Softballfans
When I say the adjustable leather straps, I mean on the baseball gloves without Velcro and without the fixed laces :)

That’s a good point about the way she puts on the glove, but I’ve tried to train her to close it first and then cinch down the Velcro. I don’t even use the Velcro when I wear the glove and it still pops out, but then as you see, it’s a very small playing glove.

I may try to work with Davis Relacing to test out a Gloveworks baseball model and see how it fits. If it fits well, has a deep pocket, and she likes the style,I can order a custom job from him.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Here ya go, Mizuno Pro-Select GPSF1250. It's a 12.5" fastpitch specific glove with NO velcro. Mizuno got that part right and this is a terrific glove that should meet all of your requirements.
312513_RG80.jpg

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
if she's worried about the glove coming off, you could also look at adding a glovesmith wrist wrap

MaverickAH

Morning all,

I know there are precious few ladies on the forum, but I’m hoping some of you dads have daughters that play fastpitch.

I want to buy a glove for my 5’8” daughter who’s playing HS fastpitch (pitcher/outfield/3B).

I bought her a 12” Vinci 22 model with Velcro fastening, but it’s too big for her hands, primarily the velcro adjustment is just too big and the hand stall is a bit large in general. She wears an adult small batting glove.

I’m now considering a Gloveworks softball glove but hoping to get some insight from everyone on here on the fit of the Gloveworks or any other customizable glove for a HS girl.

Thanks!

Russell

Lol! I’ve already made a $200 mistake with the Vinci (although I have been using it for baseball with my sons 12U team since she’s not using it), I definitely don’t want to drop another $400 on 2 gloves :)

Below are a couple pics of the Vinci. Hand stall with the Velcro completely tight is too big. It’s a bit hard to see the gap but the glove just falls off her hand.

The pocket also just feels too small. Balls pop out occasionally which I’ve never had a problem with before. Of course this is also the smallest glove I’ve ever used.

Because of her shorter fingers, she needs something she can get her hand a bit further into and then tighten down a bit more.

View attachment 56448 View attachment 56446 View attachment 56447

Okay, let's go over a few things before I make a recommendation...……..

Regarding the Vinci: It's definitely a PC Series glove. Moreover, it looks to be a custom glove which is why there is no model number. Why do I have the feeling that you bought it used? The only way a PC Series glove would cost $200 is if you bought a brand new custom. Additionally, in my experience, other than the Velcro strap, Vinci doesn't do anything special in respect to hand stall size with their designated fast pitch gloves. The white leather of the PC Series is on the soft side & designed to break in easily. If you didn't buy the glove new, it possible that it was stretched out by the previous owner or did so naturally over time.

So she's 5'8" with small hands? A bit unusual but workable. You may want to look at something like the Rawlings R9 Series which are made for smaller youth hands. They're of decent quality. If you're looking for something higher end, like a custom Rawlings, make sure to select 'Pro Youth Taper' for the wrist opening when designing. They also have the PRO315 Series which are designed for smaller hands.

Not all brands make finger slot adjustments suited more for a girl's hand on their fast pitch gloves. Wilson does as well as Mizuno. Not sure about Rawlings. It sounds like an A2000 fastpitch would suit her well. Mizuno has the Pro Select & Classic Fastpitch Series.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
If that glove is broken in and set up correctly it should not pop out. It looks like the top finger lace closest to the pocket is really tight. Try adjusting the lace, it should feel good when you squeeze the ball and the lace should not be bunched up or too tight.

View attachment 56448 View attachment 56446 View attachment 56447

Having the wrist strap too tight definitely affects any gloves ability to close properly.

jmdub

I would second a high end Mizuno fastpitch model. Nice small finger stalls (I have tiny hands, my 13yo daughter and mine are the same size). I have had my hand in the fastpitch specific 2019 HOH Rawlings and was thoroughly impressed.