Glove Conditioner

What glove conditioner do you find to work best?

I have a 44 Pro Custom being made at the moment and am looking for a good conditioner to use on it during the break in period and beyond. I was just going to go with the 44 conditioner, but unfortunately it is out of stock right now and I have no idea how long it will take to get back in stock.

So, what would be my best alternative?

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Best: Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP

Contains tanning oils to moisturize and beeswax to protect and waterproof. It doesn't make your glove heavy and it doesn't actually soften leather, just conditions and protects it. I bought an 8oz tub about 5 years ago and still have some left after conditioning multiple gloves every season along with leather boots, belts, etc. so despite the higher price, it's a good value.

Best on a budget: Hot Glove cream conditioner

Contains lanolin and smells like a new wallet. Comes in the exact same tub as Wilson Pro-Stock conditioner and is made in USA, leading me to believe it's the same stuff under a different (cheaper) brand. You can get it for less than $5 on Amazon.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
I just have and use the tried & true Obenauf's, Lexol, and Surf City Voodoo blend. I think all 3 of these products are excellent and I have plenty of all 3 in my garage.

Haven't tried the newest conditioners talked about here, 2BWAX and Ball Player's Balm that Dan Davis and David the Gnome have talked about and use........but I know if it's good enough for them, it's more than good enough for me!

I've never conditioned an entire glove with Obenauf's, just the inside palm liner and finger stalls, the last couple glove I've done, I did the outside with the Surf City Voodoo.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with any of the mentioned brands here so far!

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Will the Obenauf's darken the leather? The glove will be maroon, white, and grey so I want to steer away from anything that might alter the colors. I guess I should have mentioned that before lol

It'll temporarily darken it until it dries. I use it on a blonde glove and it doesn't permanently change the colour. The thing I like about it is you can't really over-apply it. If you use just a little, your glove will soak it in, smear a bunch on and your glove will only take what it needs, the rest just stays on the surface and you can wipe it off.

I've never conditioned an entire glove with Obenauf's, just the inside palm liner and finger stalls, the last couple glove I've done, I did the outside with the Surf City Voodoo.

I like using Obenauf's on the outside because it seems to reduce scuffing and it's very protective in wet/muddy conditions. I have an 8yo A2000 that I can get covered in mud, wipe it off with just a damp cloth and it looks like it did the day I got it.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
It is amazing how this market exploded. There are two types of leather care products, conditioners and sealers (as I think of them). Conditioners soak in and loosen up the leather fibers and sealers mostly stay on the surface and keep the glove from drying out and keep sweat out.

In the old days, Neat's Foot Oil and Mink Oil were standard conditioners and Vaseline was the standard sealer. By 10 years ago, Neat's Foot and Mink oils were out (they are not good for leather in the long run supposedly) and we had Lexol (brown bottle) and some beeswax sealers like Obenauf's. The last bottle of Lexol I bought smelled weird (maybe the formula changed, or I just got a weird bottle). Mitt Juice is similar, but expensive. I bought some Voodoo conditioner; it is a lot like Glove Stuff, and I like them both (both a little thicker than Lexol). As for a sealer, Obenauf's is still great. Some new boutique products like Ballplayer's Balm are probably great, but at $12 for 2 oz., it's a bit spendy. Obenauf's is $13 for 4 oz and Lexol is $20 for 17 oz.

Most important thing is not to over condition. Playing catch will break down the leather fibers mechanically. Adding oil will soften them by making them slippery (and it takes a long time for the oil to dry up). If you get it as soft as you want it with a conditioner, then once you use it, it will go too far. But water will cause the leather fibers to delink temporarily. As they dry, they relink up. So getting the glove a little wet before playing catch early on will help the glove break in to your hand, without making it permanently soft (although it seem to speed the break in process a bit).

The sealers don't do much softening, they stay on the surface. Use it in the lining to slow down how much sweat gets in. Sweat has salt, salt retains water, bacteria loves to eat leather, but needs moisture so sweat >>> moisture >>> bacteria >>> dry rot. It is amazing how much faster linings deteriorate in Florida compared to Minnesota.

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for the great info guys! Maybe with a little luck I can get this new glove broke into perfection! And then keep it that way with proper care...

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Wow! Thanks for the great info guys! Maybe with a little luck I can get this new glove broke into perfection! And then keep it that way with proper care...

Just remember, less is more! As Rous was just saying, where do you live? I like breaking in a glove completely dry, no product whatsoever!

This time of the year here in NC I wouldn’t use anything, now if it were July or August, I’d seal the palm liner with Obenauf’s, but nothing on the outside. After it starts breaking in the way I like it, I’ll condition it once it starts looking or feeling dry.

Just the way I like doing it, you’ll get different methods from different guys here!

*****Looks like I get to be the first to say it........no steamer from DSG, no oven, no microwave, and DON’T run over it with your truck! Just play catch and hand shape it as you go!

AydenB00

The Rookie
get that glove wet, and form it to your hand, play catch, hit it with a mallet in the pocket and form it. then i prefer the VINCI conditioner, has always done right by me