Glove durabilty questions..........

MaverickAH

This is something that I've had in the back of my mind for some time. How long does the average high quality glove last an individual & what are the factors that affect its longevity?
  • How much you play can be a factor.
  • Where you live & the weather involved can be a factor.
  • Leather quality can be a factor.
  • What position you play can be a factor.
  • Glove break-in can be a factor.
  • Glove maintenance can be a factor.
  • Play surface can be a factor.
I know that there are a lot of folks on here that swap out gloves quite often. They use a glove for a few months or a season or two, then sell it or trade for their next one. These are not the ones to answer the question. Me? I'm more of a "lifer". Once I decide to use a particular glove as a gamer, it becomes a family member. It's not going anywhere & will remain with me for life. Those who are similar are who I'm looking to answer.

As for me, I live in the NE. The weather here is mostly moderate with temperature only reaching their extremes of about mid 90's w/85%+ humidity about 2-3 weeks during Jul/Aug. You can, if you want to, play here from March to early December. I play roughly 60 to 100 games per year on a mix of natural & turf fields. In my prime, I probably played closer to 125 - 150 games per year. During that time my primary gloves (2) were reserved for my main modified & FP leagues that played on natural or turf. I had another older glove (former primary) that was reserved for those leagues that played on asphalt don't do asphalt anymore......). I expected to get anywhere from 5 to 7 years of use out of a glove as my primary & I always used gloves that either were A2000's or on that level. I played IF predominately so I'm speaking on the life of my IF glove. OF gloves obviously last me much longer.

When it comes to care & maintenance, I can admittedly be a bit anal & regimental. My break-in method is pretty precise & usually done in the off season. This will usually get the glove 80 - 85% game ready with the remainder done on the field. I always keep a ball in the pocket when the glove is not in use. I always allow my glove to dry & air out after games. They NEVER stay in a car trunk! Conditioning is done twice a year. Once before being put away for the winter & once before use in the spring. Any in season conditioning would be because of inclement conditions such as rain and/or mud. I will usually pull out my gloves once or twice during the winter to play around with. I find that the cold, dry winters we have here will stiffen them back up a bit. Not necessarily a bad thing!

NYC

Swag on 100.
Whats the average time you keep a glove before selling or trading it?
It feels like many people here go through gloves like underwear.

powermatt99

Gloveman
I coach HS baseball. We issue a new mitt to our #1 catcher in the fall to use during winter workouts and into the spring and summer. We get only professional quality gloves. The last two were an All-Star CM3000 and an A2000 DPCM. The mitt sees daily practice or games for 6 months plus whatever our catcher does in the winter indoors. In Wisconsin, the glove sees action in snow flurries as well as 90°F with 90% humidity. The biggest factor in longevity is how much the catcher sweats. I'm sure sweat chemistry makes a difference as well but I'm no scientist.

NYC

Swag on 100.
I coach HS baseball. We issue a new mitt to our #1 catcher in the fall to use during winter workouts and into the spring and summer. We get only professional quality gloves. The last two were an All-Star CM3000 and an A2000 DPCM. The mitt sees daily practice or games for 6 months plus whatever our catcher does in the winter indoors. In Wisconsin, the glove sees action in snow flurries as well as 90°F with 90% humidity. The biggest factor in longevity is how much the catcher sweats. I'm sure sweat chemistry makes a difference as well but I'm no scientist.

Put some conditioner on the hand and have him massage the inside of the glove. Helps to fight off the effects of salt from sweat on leather.

Party mafia

Whats the average time you keep a glove before selling or trading it?
It feels like many people here go through gloves like underwear.
that some expensive @$$ underwear.
I use my glove for life or until the leather rip.

NYC

Swag on 100.
that some expensive @$$ underwear.
I use my glove for life or until the leather rip.

You wear the same pair for life? lol
What I meant was many people here buy and sell gloves without getting a lot of years of use out of them.

DatDuke

Technical advancement, and fashion preferences or change of team color can also be the factor. My son played for a few travel teams from years to years. If you stay with black or tan gloves you should be safe. Once you went fancy, you are stepping into the danger zone.

MaverickAH

Technical advancement, and fashion preferences or change of team color can also be the factor. My son played for a few travel teams from years to years. If you stay with black or tan gloves you should be safe. Once you went fancy, you are stepping into the danger zone.

Why is it a danger zone? Does not a green & orange glove work the same even when your team colors are purple & gold???

Yeah, I know........, color permeates everything these days from shoes to clothing to equipment & everything else.

jethrodub

Coach
For me this comes down to leather quality and maintenance. I generally like to play with a glove that most people wouldn't consider game ready, and like the glove to retain its shape. In order to have that you need to have quality leather and construction, as well as take care of it. I know that the SP125 has not been out for that long, but it is my number 1 glove, and I cannot see myself ever parting with it. I think with proper care it will retain its shape and hold up very well for many years. The OT also helps solve the color issue as an OT glove will always be classic no matter what.

DatDuke

Why is it a danger zone? Does not a green & orange glove work the same even when your team colors are purple & gold???

Yeah, I know........, color permeates everything these days from shoes to clothing to equipment & everything else.
Once you get into matching your gear with your team color, its hard to keep your old color around your new team. It makes you want to upgrade. (not the glove, but its color). Not because your glove is rip or broken, its because you can't stand your old team's color anymore.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Once you get into matching your gear with your team color, its hard to keep your old color around your new team. It makes you want to upgrade. (not the glove, but its color). Not because your glove is rip or broken, its because you can't stand your old team's color anymore.
Or, ya just want a new glove:) this is the rational of a 'glove guy', and not a bad rational depending on tastes.
If I was true to my gamers like Maverick I think it's take 4/5 seasons before it was time for a swap. That said, as OP points out he isn't looking for answers from those of us who just can't know...lol

MaverickAH

I also do what I feel is a minimal break-in on my gloves. Top & bottom of the web, create some flexibility in the heel, work on the lace at the top & between the web & index, shape the thumb & fingers to my liking, pound the pocket with a glove mallet........ That's about it. A 12" softball is just under 4" in diameter. Once I can get the thumb & pinkie to close to about 3" of each other, I am done! It will usually take at least 3+ years of use before they will touch on their own & even with that, rarely do my gloves ever lie completely flat. What I think also helps is that I never go big. I've never in my life used a glove bigger than 12.5".

I will say that using A2000's since the early 70's has given me a certain perspective. Back then, gloves were made in the USA with leather derived from free range cattle. The leather was definitely tougher & more durable than what Wilson offers on their stock A2000's today. They changeover in leather quality began in the mid 90's. That was the last time I purchased an A2000 for personal use & that glove had a life of about 5-7 years as a first line glove before being moved to backup/utility status. At the time I was a little annoyed at what I considered, at the time. to be a shortened life span but a lot of gloves today are even worse!