Glove Mallet - a Thanksgiving break project

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
My father-in-law is an accomplished woodworker. I saw a mallet design on some Japanese social feeds and thought it would be a good way to get him off his fishing boat and back into the wood shop. Plus, I wanted to learn how to turn on a lathe.

The mallet is about 10" long in the head and 11" long in the handle. It is made out of elm with no finish, glue, or fillers. Weighs about 2 lbs.

9th5yw.jpg

iz40v6.jpg

wjcthj.jpg

s0ygih.jpg

6hpxt4.jpg

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
Very nice. Not related to the mallet but I love the debossed logo on your custom.

Party mafia

That look really good. He should make them and sell it as a side job so he can spend that money on more fishing poles. Some fishing poles are as expensive as gloves. Lol

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
That look really good. He should make them and sell it as a side job so he can spend that money on more fishing poles. Some fishing poles are as expensive as gloves. Lol
He said he wouldn’t make another one even if someone paid $500. So, I value this one at $550 ;)

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
after a quick thought, it would be awesome if one head was 12" and tapered down to the other head being 7" so it would be a true dual mallet

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Nice mallet. Shape possibly inspired by the kine (key-neh”, or traditional Japanese mallet for pounding rice into mochi?

https://imgur.com/gallery/iepZe

Inspired by the Kubota Slugger mallets, which I could definitely see being influced by the kine mallet. A short Flickr excursion shows this mallet with similar craftsmanship to the artisan kine mallets being made!

Last edited:

mpk

Extra Hitter
Really cool. My wife's uncle just dropped off his lathe in my shop for storage a few weeks ago. Maybe I'll have to make use of it.