glove recommendations

jd10

Came to make a bang
Hey fellas,
So i have a female teammate who is a great ballplayer, and she kills me with her terrible glove (it's not terrible, just not up to my standards for the level she plays at...which i guess makes me a glove snob, but tell me something i don't know). So our season is over and i convinced her to get a new glove. We've had some preliminary conversations and here's what I'm going on to find her the right glove:
Looking for an OF glove, she likes Rawlings (HoH) or Mizuno. She has small hands, so I'm trying to stay to 12.75" at the largest, 12.5" is an option (although i feel like there are alot more choices at 12.75"). We're gonna try an H web, prefers closed back (although i feel like to get HoH H web closed back she may be looking at a custom, which might be the route to go, but i want to see what's stock out there). She's ok with spending some money, just short of the complete high end (no Mizuno Pros or custom PPs).
If i were recommending, i'd go straight to the PRO303. Personally i love that glove. I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations at 12.5" or for mizunos. I would guess for Mizunos she's looking at the Global Elite line.
I know trying them on is the best way to know, and i have some options for her to give a shot, just want to see if i can get all the options laid out from the start.
Thanks fellas.

Last edited:

RalphG427

On the bench
There were some closed back Rawlings 302's that were circulating around not too long ago. Might be a good option. I think the hand stall on the 303 may be a little on the large side of what you're looking for

jd10

Came to make a bang
awesome ralph, thanks for the input. i don't remember seeing the closed back 302s, but yes, that certainly sounds like an option.

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
I had a 302 fastback in Oxblood several years back. If you can find one that would be a good glove for her, especially since the hand stall is on the smaller side of average.

The Mizuno GGE70 would be okay, they can be had for $150 but will play between 12.25 and 12.5, not the 12.75 that is stamped. However, the hand stall should once again fit her and the glove itself is very nice. There really isn't a retail Global Elite that will play a true 12.75 but they do get wide and the leather is good quality.

jd10

Came to make a bang
thanks very much ed, I'll add the GGE70 to the list of possibilities. i took a quick spin to see if i could find the fastback 302 and the oxblood one is the one i found. but like you said, it's finding on that's the challenge.

jd10

Came to make a bang
does she want a brand new glove or a used glove?

awesome man, thanks for more options. the more the better. she is looking for something new, that's why that Pro302 closed back could be tough. she seems to be opening it up a bit to open backs, so that will make the hunt alittle easier :)

jd10

Came to make a bang
does anyone know how the Pro502 pattern plays? i see it readily available with a closed back, although it's a basket web which i personally hate. I've seen some threads on here that say it's a good softball pattern, but I rarely see anyone actually game it.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
502 has a smaller handstall than a 504, but is a similar pattern (pretty similar in size to a GGE70). I think the open back 302 is a great choice. Not only is the hand stall tighter than a lot of other gloves, but you can tighten the wrist strap, something you cannot do on a closed back glove.

Unless she wears her glove TIP, the Nokona L-V1250 is worth looking into.

Party mafia

awesome man, thanks for more options. the more the better. she is looking for something new, that's why that Pro302 closed back could be tough. she seems to be opening it up a bit to open backs, so that will make the hunt alittle easier :)

What is her budget?
How about this rawlings Pro601JB HOH 12.75" glove for $140, brand new with a fastback (closed back), it's a trap-eze web instead of a H web

http://www.baseballmonkey.com/homerun-rawlings-baseball-glove-heart-of-the-hide-pro601jb.html

or the wilson A2000 HR model @ $149, the hand stale might be kind of big for a female's hands.

http://www.baseballmonkey.com/wilso...6hr13gm.html?gclid=CMCUibPU584CFQx6fgod-YkFqg

jd10

Came to make a bang
Rous, thank you for the input as always bud. I told her the same about open vs closed back. I too prefer a tighter hand stall and immediately move in the open back on all of my gloves. I think shes starting to come around to what im saying.

And thanks again party mafia. She had a wilson she doesnt like so shes staying away. Shes also set on an h web. That 601 could have been an option minus the trap. She looking around $200 stretching to about high $200s.

case2000

Extra Hitter
What is her budget?
How about this rawlings Pro601JB HOH 12.75" glove for $140, brand new with a fastback (closed back), it's a trap-eze web instead of a H web
I was thinking about this same glove as well for the OP's Lady teammate... I saw this glove at a SA in orlando recently (July). It was marked down on clearance to $125. I handled it and thought the hand stall was small/tight and thought that for a 12.75" it looked as though it would be ideal for a smaller hand

Edit* The one that I saw was an H web Fastback....Must have been a PRO301-6JB

Party mafia

Rous, thank you for the input as always bud. I told her the same about open vs closed back. I too prefer a tighter hand stall and immediately move in the open back on all of my gloves. I think shes starting to come around to what im saying.

And thanks again party mafia. She had a wilson she doesnt like so shes staying away. Shes also set on an h web. That 601 could have been an option minus the trap. She looking around $200 stretching to about high $200s.

this is a nice H web pattern glove for $140, not sure how big or small is the hand stale compares to the rawlings HOH.
http://forums.softballfans.com/threads/13-diamond-pro-majestic-limited-edition.1430983/

jd10

Came to make a bang
Got a pretty good deal on a GGE70 so we'll see how that goes. Im gonna tighten the stall for her and we'll go from there. I probably would have went with the pro302 myself, but it was a pretty good deal on a new mizzy. Thanks for the input fellas!

MaverickAH

I just looked at the Rawlings 2017 Spring catalog. They're coming out with a line of HOH fast pitch gloves, with & without Velcro. All are open backs with sizes up to 12.5". The only potential problem is that there is only basket webs on 12" & up.

Wilson does have some A2000 models which would be suitable as long as you don't mind Super Skin & Velcro.

Mizuno has their Classic Fast Pitch & Global Elite VOP Fast Pitch Series on the upper end with the MVP Prime's bringing up the rear.

If she wishes, at some point, to go the custom route, I can heartily recommend Capire from personal examination.

jd10

Came to make a bang
thanks for the info Mav. I hate basket webs, but it's all she's ever used so she might be on board with that. Seems pretty jazzed about the GGE70 and i think with the hand stall tightening, it's gonna be a good glove for her being that it plays smaller than the listed 12.5.