Glove repair help

Softball.com:

Hey guys, picked up a project glove on the cheap, but didn’t realize the extent of the word “project”. I have attached some pics for reference. The inside of the hand stall is coming apart pretty good. Is there something I can use to adhere or even maybe sew in that would go over the hole? Like I said, it’s a project glove, so don’t want to put huge amounts of money in it, but want to make it serviceable at the very least. It seems to be over oiled slightly, but I can deal with that later.

I appreciate any and all suggestions that you may have.
[GALLERY=media, 33809]AAD5485B-0BED-43AA-B385-56EF87B8DAE1 by mattsmith32 posted Feb 7, 2020 at 10:37 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 33810]899189A1-4B39-45C3-AA8D-206AC1FE5505 by mattsmith32 posted Feb 7, 2020 at 10:38 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 33811]A09C521B-D697-4B78-9885-F29F946C2A7F by mattsmith32 posted Feb 7, 2020 at 10:39 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 33812]D277E412-F6DD-41FE-8D34-7D91691B985A by mattsmith32 posted Feb 7, 2020 at 10:41 AM[/GALLERY]

NYC

Swag on 100.
This is a lesson for everyone; condition the interior of your gloves as well as the exterior. The sweat from your hands really does a number on the lining. Aside from that hole it's really in decent shape.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
This is a lesson for everyone; condition the interior of your gloves as well as the exterior. The sweat from your hands really does a number on the lining. Aside from that hole it's really in decent shape.

I clean and condition the liners of my gloves more frequently/thoroughly than the outside and I always wear a batting glove inside my fielding glove. Cheap gloves may wear out on the outside, but high end gloves always seem to go from the inside out and I don't want that happening to mine.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Thanks, it’s something I’d like to try and do myself, since it’s just a project, but just looking for some direction or ideas.
Removing the binding and separating the glove into the inner liner and outer shell is not difficult.
Making the pattern for your new liner, finger stalls, etc from the old worn out liner is not difficult.
Sewing the finger roofs, thumb and pinky loops to the palm liner portion can be done using a regular industrial sewing machine.

The part that requires specialized sewing machines is the rebinding - you must have a walking or roller foot post bed or cylinder bed machine with a power supply, needle, and thread combination that can handle sewing through three layers of leather.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
You can patch this and make it functional. you need a piece of leather about 4"x6".

Take a piece of paper, crumple and un-crumple is several times until it gets soft. Cut it to a size that will fit between the lining and shell and completely cover not only the hole, but also the holes that the palm lace runs through. Once you determine a size and shape of a patch that will cover the hole and also the palm lace holes, cut the leather the same size. Then put it in place and use a pen to mark the palm lace hole locations (you want the same hole pattern as the lining, not the shell). Then punch the holes. Once this is done, put it in place and use the palm lace to secure the patch in place. Yes, you will still have the raggedy lining and hole, but there will be smooth leather behind it.

I have done this about 5-6 times. I always mention glenside or glovedoctor.com, but the $15 I charge usually beats the alternatives.

Jomatty

Starting Player
What are your goals for the glove? Do you want to use it with regularity or just have an extra in your trunk/bag that someone can use in a pinch or something, or do you want to bring it back as much as possible and have it able to be used regularly? If you want to do the best job possible I would follow Ross’s advice (I personally would have a hard time spending the kind of money it would take to do more than that). However if you just need to make it serviceable for the occasional game you might be able to do something with shoe goo and a scrap leather piece that might make it serviceable. Im sure that suggestion will make a lot of the craftsmen cringe, but just saying...It will fail eventually but if your not going to use it that much...I had an old Rawlings glove that somehow got ripped straight up the index finger. I shoe goo’ed a patch holding it back together and it has been used in random games and catches since and is still holding up. It will fail eventually (if it gets used) but it worked for cheap and there is only so much effort and money I’m willing to spend on something like this. Good luck with the project, whichever way you go!

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
You can patch this and make it functional. you need a piece of leather about 4"x6".

Take a piece of paper, crumple and un-crumple is several times until it gets soft. Cut it to a size that will fit between the lining and shell and completely cover not only the hole, but also the holes that the palm lace runs through. Once you determine a size and shape of a patch that will cover the hole and also the palm lace holes, cut the leather the same size. Then put it in place and use a pen to mark the palm lace hole locations (you want the same hole pattern as the lining, not the shell). Then punch the holes. Once this is done, put it in place and use the palm lace to secure the patch in place. Yes, you will still have the raggedy lining and hole, but there will be smooth leather behind it.

I have done this about 5-6 times. I always mention glenside or glovedoctor.com, but the $15 I charge usually beats the alternatives.

This is going to be the best and most economical way to do a temporary fix but it’s going to take some getting used to when you use the glove.
You are going to feel the addition of leather on your fingers where it transitions and you will still feel the cracking underneath.
I’d recommend calling local upholstery shops with your dimensions and asking them to sell you a piece of scrap leather.
Good luck.