Glove Size Opinion

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Hey guys I am looking for an infield softball glove for my girlfriend. Would the Rawlings HOH R2G 11.5 inch baseball glove work fine? People are suggesting I go with that over a regular softball glove.
Go with a 12" baseball glove. Too bad you just missed out on the big Marucci sale, a 12" H-web Cypress would have been perfect!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
The size of her hands should be a huge part of the decision. If larger than average for a woman, then a baseball glove might well do it, but if smaller than average, I'd look for a fastpitch softball glove with a smaller hand stall. How new at softball is she? If she has a lot of experience playing, then a 12" might work. But if rather new to it, I'd go with 12.5".
Maybe a Pro125SB-18GW or a Nokona A-V1250HGR or Wilson A2000 T125?
https://www.softballfans.com/rawlin...h-fielding-glove-12-5-inch-pro125sb-18gw.html

Or the Marucci Magolia.
https://www.softballfans.com/marucc...tch-fielding-glove-12-5-mfgmg125fp-cm-bk.html

And remember, if you can find it here at SBF, be sure to ask milocoman for member pricing.

Last edited:

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Rous makes a great point about the amount of experience she has playing softball, maybe I jumped the gun a little with a 12” glove, very experienced female softball players are ALL I’ve been around forever it seems!

I do want to bring up one model, the OP can do his own research if he’s interested.

12” Rawlings Pro206-6JTB, it discontinued now. The last time I was at the Myrtle Beach outlet, these were on clearance for $159.95. I posted this on DiscussFastpitch.com, got tons of messages asking me if this glove might work for little Sally because it’s now time for her to get a real glove. This size and pattern are pretty special to me, my daughter uses a Pro206-6CB and a Pro1000, same glove! For infield, it just works!

Anyway, it’s a running joke over there, there’s been probably 10 different parents who have bought their daughter this glove, one of the Dads on that forum calls that glove the Rawlings Pro206-DFP cause so many on that site have been bought for their girls from the same outlet. And the last 3 or 4 were bought for $129.95, that’s a crazy deal for a HOH!

I’d say they’re probably all gone by now, but you can Google a Rawlings outlet nearest to where you live and see? Won’t hurt to check!

Here it is...
https://www.rawlings.com/product/PRO206-6JTB.html

heycal

Are the gloves you guys are talking about and using baseball gloves, or slow pitch softball gloves, and does it matter?

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Are the gloves you guys are talking about and using baseball gloves, or slow pitch softball gloves, and does it matter?
I’ll just answer for me.....baseball. I’ve never bought, owned, or used a softball specific glove, ever!

Edit.....I take that back, I still own two fastpitch catchers mitts!

Last edited:

beeblebobble

Starting Player
What matters most is its comfortable to wear and you can catch the ball with it reliably. I wouldn't get too hung up on if its a softball or hardball glove. Its just different patterns in the end. I play hardball and use hardball gloves. Plenty of guys use baseball utility/outfield gloves all over the softball diamond successfully, some nutjobs even talk about using <12" baseball gloves in softball infield.

heycal

What matters most is its comfortable to wear and you can catch the ball with it reliably..

I agree that's paramount. But when you're shopping for a new glove and can't know which can help you catch reliably (if any!), should you try and get a softball glove, which is presumably designed for the bigger ball?

beeblebobble

Starting Player
I agree that's paramount. But when you're shopping for a new glove and can't know which can help you catch reliably (if any!), should you try and get a softball glove, which is presumably designed for the bigger ball?
I get it. Are you just dipping your toe into the sport and want to limit your investment? I take it going to a store and trying on a few models is out of the question? at just ballgloves website you can purchase a glove and try it for up to 100 days and return it. I used them to try out a plethora of brands and patterns.

heycal

I get it. Are you just dipping your toe into the sport and want to limit your investment? I take it going to a store and trying on a few models is out of the question? at just ballgloves website you can purchase a glove and try it for up to 100 days and return it. I used them to try out a plethora of brands and patterns.

I've been playing a couple of teams a week now for five years, and back when I started, I bought the cheapest glove I could find figuring I might lose interest. I didn't. So I've decided to spend more if need be to find a glove I really like -- and also to get a first baseman's mitt since that's where I play 95% of the time.

I ordered a Rawlings GG Elite 13" "Adult baseball" first baseman's glove, and a Worth 13" "slow pitch softball" first baseman's mitt and they arrived today. I think I'm going to go with the Worth, which feels a bit better on first blush and is 50 dollars cheaper. I also psychologically like that it's advertised as softball specific, even if that might be meaningless in the real world.

There's places that let you use a glove for 90 days and still return it? Wacky.