ASA Glove thrown at batted ball?

moorerm04

Addicted to Softballfans
I have always been under the impression that the batter will be awarded 2 bases if a glove or hat is thrown at a batted ball regardless of if the thrown glove hits the batted ball. We played a game tonight, opposing 2nd basemans throws a glove at a line drive hit over his head. The umpire said its only 2 bases if the glove hits the ball or interferes with the ball. Can someone clarify this and maybe post a link or a rule book reference to this, as I can't find what I am looking for. Thanks.

TheLacinStation

Addicted to Softballfans
It is also important to note that, if the glove does make contact with the ball, this is a delayed dead ball call. If the defense wants to continue throwing the ball around so that the batter/runner can score, they are allowed to do so. If the play ends, or a runner is put out, then the ball is declared dead and the runners advanced accordingly.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
It is also important to note that, if the glove does make contact with the ball, this is a delayed dead ball call. If the defense wants to continue throwing the ball around so that the batter/runner can score, they are allowed to do so. If the play ends, or a runner is put out, then the ball is declared dead and the runners advanced accordingly.

Also important to note...

If the runner advances beyond his awarded base and gets tagged out, then he's out.