glove weight?

heycal

What does the average baseball glove weigh? The average softball glove, if different? First baseman's glove? All I can figure out is that the cheap gloves are often lighter.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
there is so much variation in materials and sizes that you would have a really tough time getting any good info together

heycal

there is so much variation in materials and sizes that you would have a really tough time getting any good info together

Really? There are also a zillion different tennis rackets, but most are in the 9-12 oz range. I would think similar info would be available about gloves.

westdude

Addicted to Softballfans
It's just a lot of variation since there isn't really a standardized glove size like you'd find in some sporting equipment such as bats. Mitts will usually be heavier than fielding gloves, and outfield gloves will weigh more because of the added length and closed backs. Cheap gloves will be lighter because of thinner leathers and form materials. Then there are factors like web, back materials, and things like horween vs kip on higher end models. Then of course oils being added in and other variations like added lacing. All that being said, I've never actually weighed my gloves with none ever feeling too heavy and my priority going more towards feel and design.

heycal

It's just a lot of variation since there isn't really a standardized glove size like you'd find in some sporting equipment such as bats. Mitts will usually be heavier than fielding gloves, and outfield gloves will weigh more because of the added length and closed backs. Cheap gloves will be lighter because of thinner leathers and form materials. Then there are factors like web, back materials, and things like horween vs kip on higher end models. Then of course oils being added in and other variations like added lacing. All that being said, I've never actually weighed my gloves with none ever feeling too heavy and my priority going more towards feel and design.

This forum seems full of gear heads, so hopefully someone will weigh in with their glove weights:)

MaverickAH

This forum seems full of gear heads, so hopefully someone will weigh in with their glove weights:)

I had a spreadsheet with data on over 50 gloves of varying quality & sizes. Unfortunately the hard drive died on me & I lost all of that data. Of what I remember, the median weight for all of the gloves was about 1.85oz/inch of glove. The top stuff like Code 55 horween came in a ~2.1oz/inch of glove. Kip leather was ~1.725oz/inch & the average high quality glove was ~1.81oz/inch. At least this is what I remember roughly off the top of my head.

Other factors can affect glove weight as well such as pattern. Obviously closed backs & webs are going to weigh more than open backs & webs. Materials used are another factor as mesh will be lighter & the type of leather used can be huge. Oil treated leather tends to weigh more than the drier variety. Actual construction can be another factor.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Since gloves are made out of a natural product (leather), they can vary more than you'd think. Old school tan lace is relatively heavy too, so a traditional Rawlings mod trap (with the spiral lacing around the finger, thumb, and post) will be much heavier than an H web. I had a Nokona AMG650 that was 24oz (dry steerhide) and another that was 29 oz. (oil tanned leather). Code 55 Horween is another pretty heavy leather. I relaced a Pro504 (one of the SBF Horween ones with a Horween lining and wood padding). It was probably 3 oz heavier than if you ordered a Japanese tanned custom HOH with synthetic padding.

As much as I like heavily oiled pull-up leather, I think I'd pass on that for any glove over 12". Weight gets worse as a glove gets longer not only because of the actual weight, but also longer gloves will feel heavier because of the length ("give me a lever long enough and I'll move the world").

Where I play matters too. In the outfield, a heavier glove doesn't matter nearly as much as if pitching, or at third base.

What does the average baseball glove weigh? The average softball glove, if different? First baseman's glove? All I can figure out is that the cheap gloves are often lighter.

I was a bit intrigued by your request for glove weights and not, style, length, leather vs synthetic so I weighed my two gloves. I do agree with MaverickAH and Rous above as they are covering more the technical side of glove selection and I am responding more on feel for position played.

I have a Wilson A9820 which I use when playing infield as it has a flatter and wide pocket to ease in getting the ball out to make plays needed in the infield, glove has good leather and weighs 23.63 oz

I have a Rawlings RSGXL Pro model which I use in the outfield as it’s pocket is much deeper, has even better leather than the Wilson and weighs 24.23 oz

difference in weight is .6 oz, negligible in my opinion, but what is different and definitely important to a fielder is how the glove is shaped and how it performs. I’m old school, and admit it, but I lean toward the stalwarts of glove manufacturers and none have been in the business longer than Rawlings and Wilson.

I struggle to understand why people buy $200 and $300 gloves, wait for custom lacing, coloring, etc when you can look at eBay and get better gloves, in my opinion, for little to nothing and sometimes you may need to relace the web and/or the fingers but that’s just me. I played shortstop in my 20s, 30s, and 40s and used a Wilson A9820, now that I’m 70, I do the same thing but added the Rawlings when I play OF in one of the two Sr leagues that I play in simply because that style of glove is better suited when catching sinking line drives, etc.

incidentally I paid $18 for the Wilson A9820 and $35 for the Rawlings RSGXL PRO, yes, both were used but I’m the only one that knows they’re second hand. Leaves me more mad money to spend when fishing with grandsons and softball buddies.

dunkky

only time i care about the weight of a glove is when i play out field. cuz u gotta sprint. Other than that i wouldn't care less. especially, catcher, pitcher, 1st. for 1st, i will go big and thick.