Gloves 101 with Professor Rous

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm testing a few PB alternatives. So let's see how googledrive 3rd party hosting works!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3qn2Bis6KuGMnFMZ1VBWkFuVkE

open

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Tinypic is free and it gives you the code for message boards so all you have to do is copy and paste. If you sign up for a free account you can upload multiple photos at once.

Thanks, I'll try that next. With this much competition, WTF is PB thinking?!

DatDuke

Vinci 12.25" Custom
Before pics, I took out the web lace to see how long it was. 92" long. I used two 72" pieces instead.

nEXoMoH.jpg

yi0T5uk.jpg

ffJlAXi.jpg

After
rn9Z3mZ.jpg

vulJl1I.jpg

2y1oW5g.jpg
Was it difficult to do 1/4" all the way around? I am ready to relace my mine. And getting some dual color lace (black and red) 1/4 tanner for it, afraid it will be too wide at some spots. Also a Mod Trap.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I used 3/16" for the web internal lacing. 1/4" for the perimeter and fingers. 3/16" everywhere else.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Vinci 12.5" Custom

This one came in and I thought it would only need a clean/condition/relace. However, the finger stall divider between the middle and index finger was 90% gone and all that was remaining of the divider between the the middle and ring finger was one thread. In the pic of the patch, I later pulled it out and redid it making the ring finger sleeve a bit smaller because the glove owner is a rising junior softballer with small hands. It turned out great. I reworked the lacing for the web for a couple reasons.

Before
gMNIFPA.jpg

FRZHBhq.jpg

HJWTBAB.jpg

New stalls.

L4tKKp0.jpg

Done!
BG3gcXP.jpg

7rIead0.jpg

b7slGtT.jpg

Last edited:

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Great job Rous, the finger stall dividers are exactly like that now on Anna's Vinci that you replaced the finger stays in.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Damn, that glove looked beat, great job. Was it eating up from sweat? Never saw the finger stalls do that, not even in an 8 year old RV1923-22

Yep, its the sweat. The glove lives in a town west of Houston. I have done this type of patch (palm or finger stalls) 9-10 times, and almost all of the gloves live in hot-humid places.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
It is a family post! Father and daughter getting gloves relaced in matching tan, what could be more heart-warming this holiday time of year!!!

Rawlings Pro 206-CB and Pro303-CTB. Both fairly new. The camel laces had already stretched quite a bit.

I gotta say, I am so sad Rawlings only had this one stock run of the 303-CTB. I love this thing!!! Only downside is they used rolled welting in gray... trying to make it look like the rough? Ug, just use rough in gray or black!!! Or Black rolled if you want to go that way.

Before
YLhcH13.jpg

6JIJ0T2.jpg

LmqZ4ma.jpg

After

T5BHVCT.jpg

j9A8I57.jpg

2ywDKCX.jpg

Black and tan M****R F****R!!! And I eliminated 5 knots on this trap... can you name them?
ac6SeQ5.jpg
T9hWqL3.jpg

lJA7DLo.jpg

Last edited:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Oh, and in the father/daughter "before" glove pics, they were sitting on the new table top I made to seat more at Thanksgiving. Our usual table is a 48" round and this top is 60". I picked up the plywood on Saturday and it was ready Wednesday night!

pOFT6My.jpg

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
The nice thing about the 303 trapeze is that you can easily reinforce the turnaround of the midfinger lacing (without having to go all the way thru the index). When it's open, you can slip a wider piece of leather to help distribute the isolated stress point.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Thanks Rous! Man you had a busy week, looks like you’ve got a great new photo spot to post pics from, black background works great!
Tracking says I *may* see them today?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
The nice thing about the 303 trapeze is that you can easily reinforce the turnaround of the midfinger lacing (without having to go all the way thru the index). When it's open, you can slip a wider piece of leather to help distribute the isolated stress point.

I was going to, but Rawlings beat me to it! There was an extra piece of the shell leather already glued in there.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Love the tan lace changes. I think you could add tan lace to Wonder Bread and it would taste... strike that, it wouldn't.
Beforehand, I would not have expected the tan on camel to look great, but it does!

Everyone wants super stiff lace. I got one batch from USASD that was super stiff, but it ended up being brittle and I had too replace two web laces that popped within a month of my doing the work. IMO, great lace is tough and doesn't stretch too much.

I left the heel lace on the Pro206 long as I tightened up the hand stall pretty good for a small hand. If it's too tight, they can back it out a bit. But then just cut it off at that point.

Last edited:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks Rous! Man you had a busy week, looks like you’ve got a great new photo spot to post pics from, black background works great!
Tracking says I *may* see them today?

Not an easy thing to store a 60" round piece of plywood. So I doubt I'll be pulling it out for pics. The marble table top or stairs will have to do most of the time!

Last edited:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
1991 (or 2001?) Wilson A2800-1883. ebay find, in solid but well used shape. Thorough cleaning (couldn't get the stains out), laces, palm pad. The current 1883 is waaay bigger (like, 3/4" longer).

Before
Z52EAsT.jpg

After

mF6aP0X.jpg

NyCVVKQ.jpg

I added a lace around the perlicue because the binding had been damaged there. Easy to remove if too bulky.
pTGoQ3h.jpg