Gloves that you love but shouldn't?

MaverickAH

Logic dictates that you shouldn't like this glove. Maybe it doesn't have the "right name" :rolleyes: on it. Maybe it comes pretty much game ready. Maybe it's an odd design. Maybe it's not sourced from the right area of the world. Maybe the materials used are not top-of-the-line. At the end of the day, none of it matters & you just love the glove anyway!

Shoeless Joe - Pretty much game ready & kind of thin in the pocket but none of that seems to matter as I love the look, feel & smell of the glove.

Insignia Gloves - I picked up a few of the upper mid to upper level gloves a few years back & instantly fell in love. It was like getting a Nokona for 25cents on the dollar! Even at full price they impress. I've also found a lot to like in gloves that they OEM'd like Louisville Slugger Evolution & Icon as well as Roy Hobbs gloves.

Spalding Pro Select - Everyone pretty much knows about these from when they were being closed out over a year ago. Pretty solid gloves.

Easton - I can think of a lot of Easton gloves that I've had an affinity for over the years. A lot of them weren't their high end model either! Currently I've liked their Core Series gloves. Their Mako Series also has me intrigued. The only thing that's really kept me away are the visuals. I hate some of the colorway & font choices.

Other gloves that have impressed me to varying degrees despite their lack of a pedigree are Wu Gloves & Capire Gloves.

What are yours, if any?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Mizuno GCP (classic Pro) series glove (NOT the Classic Pro Soft gloves). The soft lining leather aside, the shell leather is higher quality than some of the GMP Mizunos.

Louisville Slugger Pro Flare gloves. HOH quality for $50-$100 less. Or because they use more Asian style patterns, I could say GMP quality for 1/2 the price!

mnhoj

Not in general but specifically.
KP92 with hweb swap.
Long fingers and narrow. Good but not ideal slowpitch shortstop glove(says my newly acquired inner snob self).
I didn't play it too long but it felt great while I did.
If I would've stumbled onto it before I started reading here it would be "love".

Having said that, my SBF PRO207 fits all of it for me. But it should. It is in spec, my perfect glove.

A few notables that I thought were excellent on paper but didn't play out.
DM PRO1000HC, 1781 retail, and EL3GM.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Vapor360 aaannnnddddd
From what ive seen on here, the DMS 6hf wasnt very well liked bc of its size. I dismissed it for a long time on the thought its not a 'real 6hf' pattern/size wise so why bother if you have the other earlier versions.
Once I finally picked one up- i loved it!!
Sure what was said was true, but i didnt see them as short comings any more once i had it bc imo its the only usable version. When i has to use my 98 version for a half and inning last yr it made me kinda uncomfortable. The remake turns it into more of a current version and usable so if you wanted to game a 6hf, the dms is the one to use.

Last edited:

NYC

Swag on 100.
Rawlings RTD series. Use it as my gamer because it's broken in perfectly and I'm roberto alomar with it on.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Rawlings RTD series. Use it as my gamer because it's broken in perfectly and I'm roberto alomar with it on.
All these gloves... and you game a RTD series?!?
nofreakingwai.jpg

You are a man full of surprises - Ill give you that! Hey, more power to ya! I guess if you get that favorite break and feel its worth it.

Last edited:

David the Gnome

The Veteran
My choice is not necessarily a specific brand or model but more in regards to the stiffness of gloves. There is a mindset on this forum that stiffer gloves are better gloves and people obsess over gloves that are ultra stiff and stay that way. I fell into that same way of thinking when I first got on here and started learning about high quality baseball gloves. However, I've learned as I get older that I really don't like playing with an ultra-stiff glove.

My Mizuno GMP61 that I game in middle infield is probably what a lot of guys on here would describe as floppy. It has a great shape to it but it definitely doesn't stay open on its side anymore. And you know what? It has taken a lot of time and a lot of use to get it broken in to that level and it is the surest glove I own. If I get that glove on the ball, the ball isn't going anywhere.

I guess the lesson learned is, don't give up on a glove just because it isn't ultra stiff like a Horween Tan, and don't give up on a glove when it starts getting "soft", that's when it's finally getting good.

And pictures, because we all like pictures...

aeppoh.jpg

eiqr1t.jpg

919hnc.jpg

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
They don't get the love they deserve but...
Easton- I gamed (and still have) an I Pro 1B mitt single post on and off for almost a decade for baseball. The K Pro with the Kevlar back for outfield was interesting too but when the EPG line came out with the Seto leather, it became a regular in the bag. Still think they are a great value if you can get one. The Mako lines broke down too quick so hopefully the Legacy line will reestablish my faith in the the company.
Insignia- I picked up a few when the Sports Authority carried them (buddy was a regional manager so would get hooked up). Also picked up some of the close outs. Had a couple of the Team, the All Out and Caliente lines and they were great values (like mentioned above). Former teammates are still using them 4 to 6 years later.
Nike- When the Diamond Elite Pro came out, I was in love with the Kip leather! Once again, I was mostly a baseball player so the patterns worked well for the game (the finger stalls did have to be stretched out a bit for my hand). I'm disappointed that they are getting out of the glove game.

MaverickAH

Mizuno GCP (classic Pro) series glove (NOT the Classic Pro Soft gloves). The soft lining leather aside, the shell leather is higher quality than some of the GMP Mizunos.

Louisville Slugger Pro Flare gloves. HOH quality for $50-$100 less. Or because they use more Asian style patterns, I could say GMP quality for 1/2 the price!

I was so annoyed at Mizuno when the co-opted the "Classic Pro" name into that "Soft" Series. I have 2 Classic Pro's in my collection. One is an og "Made in the USA, laceless lining, Amphibian leather, 11.5" model (MCL 5003). I also have a GCP 10X (12", Basket Web). It's the model that Tom Glavine used to use. One interesting fact is that Mizuno did a numbered limited edition of this glove (500?, 1000?) with Glavine's signature stitched in that they sold for $599. Same exact glove as the stock model......... I also had a GCP 16 that I had sold (wish I hadn't!). In any case, f' a Pro Limited! The Classic Pro was the better glove back in the day!

nofreakingwai.jpg

You are a man full of surprises - Ill give you that! Hey, more power to ya! I guess if you get that favorite break and feel its worth it.

This is New York City so it's not surprising. The main ball used here is the DeBeers Clincher F12 & the main game is Modified, not Slow Pitch. There's just no real need for using a high end glove with that ball. You're far more likely to see Rawlings Gold Glove Gamers, Mizuno MVP's & Wilson A800's than anything else. When you do see high-end gloves, it's usually guys transferring there gloves from baseball. As far as customs go, I'm starting to slowly see a rash of 44Pro gloves in the better modified leagues.

My choice is not necessarily a specific brand or model but more in regards to the stiffness of gloves. There is a mindset on this forum that stiffer gloves are better gloves and people obsess over gloves that are ultra stiff and stay that way. I fell into that same way of thinking when I first got on here and started learning about high quality baseball gloves. However, I've learned as I get older that I really don't like playing with an ultra-stiff glove.

My Mizuno GMP61 that I game in middle infield is probably what a lot of guys on here would describe as floppy. It has a great shape to it but it definitely doesn't stay open on its side anymore. And you know what? It has taken a lot of time and a lot of use to get it broken in to that level and it is the surest glove I own. If I get that glove on the ball, the ball isn't going anywhere.

I guess the lesson learned is, don't give up on a glove just because it isn't ultra stiff like a Horween Tan, and don't give up on a glove when it starts getting "soft", that's when it's finally getting good.

And pictures, because we all like pictures...

aeppoh.jpg

eiqr1t.jpg

919hnc.jpg

I totally get it! In fact, I'd say that the right upper mid level glove re-laced with some stiff laces can be taken to the level of a high-end glove!

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
They don't get the love they deserve but...
Easton- I gamed (and still have) an I Pro 1B mitt single post on and off for almost a decade for baseball. The K Pro with the Kevlar back for outfield was interesting too but when the EPG line came out with the Seto leather, it became a regular in the bag. Still think they are a great value if you can get one. The Mako lines broke down too quick so hopefully the Legacy line will reestablish my faith in the the company.
Insignia- I picked up a few when the Sports Authority carried them (buddy was a regional manager so would get hooked up). Also picked up some of the close outs. Had a couple of the Team, the All Out and Caliente lines and they were great values (like mentioned above). Former teammates are still using them 4 to 6 years later.
Nike- When the Diamond Elite Pro came out, I was in love with the Kip leather! Once again, I was mostly a baseball player so the patterns worked well for the game (the finger stalls did have to be stretched out a bit for my hand). I'm disappointed that they are getting out of the glove game.
These new Eastons (legacy classic i think) that are coming out next year are no joke.
They stack up very very well and i was very surprised.
I didnt mention it bc i dont think it falls into a glove i shouldnt like - but since you brought up Easton I figured id mention it to agree with you.
I've NEVER not gamed a cmhc and this DCT style easton will get all the warm up work this year and who knows from there. Its nice!!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I think it is possible for a glove to be too stiff. The great thing about Horween glove leather and even the oil tanned stuff is that when it breaks in it gets just the right amount of supple while still feeling substantial. I have handled a couple Rawlings, Nokonas, and Wilsons over the years where the gloves were either made with a leather that just won't soften even in the places where you want it to or have so many layers of lining and padding that the glove just feels bulky to me, even when the leather feels softer. Neither is good.

NYC

Swag on 100.
nofreakingwai.jpg

LOL, I drenched the thing in oil years ago. Was some no name oil brand from the 80s, threw a ball in it and tossed it in the closet for a year. The thing swallows everything.

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
These new Eastons (legacy classic i think) that are coming out next year are no joke.
They stack up very very well and i was very surprised.
I didnt mention it bc i dont think it falls into a glove i shouldnt like - but since you brought up Easton I figured id mention it to agree with you.
I've NEVER not gamed a cmhc and this DCT style easton will get all the warm up work this year and who knows from there. Its nice!!

Really like what I've seen on IG for the new Easton's. Have the order form filled out for a custom just waiting for an account to pay their bill and off she goes!

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
A little different from the topic but one that I love but for some reason can't pull the trigger on....there's a Marucci Founders Series 12.75 glove at a shop local to me on clearance and has been so for about a year. Every time I go in, I try it on but always find something else to buy instead. No specific reason...I just can't do it. I'm sure it would be a perfect softball utility glove.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Really like what I've seen on IG for the new Easton's. Have the order form filled out for a custom just waiting for an account to pay their bill and off she goes!
as others can attest - you wont be disappointed. If they catch on or go the way of most easton releases remains to be seen. But, I hope they get some attn bc IMO they deserve it.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
This is New York City so it's not surprising. The main ball used here is the DeBeers Clincher F12 & the main game is Modified, not Slow Pitch. There's just no real need for using a high end glove with that ball. You're far more likely to see Rawlings Gold Glove Gamers, Mizuno MVP's & Wilson A800's than anything else. When you do see high-end gloves, it's usually guys transferring there gloves from baseball. As far as customs go, I'm starting to slowly see a rash of 44Pro gloves in the better modified leagues.

I wonder if you play with Geo U., Julie P., and others?

MaverickAH

I wonder if you play with Geo U., Julie P., and others?

There are a lot of leagues & a lot of people playing softball in NYC. The odds of me crossing paths with any of those people are slim to none. I play senior ball outside of city limits & only officiate within city limits. I officiate far more games than I play. I can probably count on one hand the number of people that I know for sure are board members on here.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Here is the one that was given to me, jenn has a nice red one maybe shell share pics of if she sees this. Theres some nice IF models out there as well. This glove actly reminds me of the slcs 1b mitt i had in that its pretty thick. Has a very smooth, comfortable feel as well. Stiff in the right places and just a nice glove. More PP esq than the ol tan HOH- but quite nice and fits in well with its competition.

DatDuke

Some Nice Lace you have there! are they original? or relaced? I also see its a custom. where can you get your custom with Easton?

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Some Nice Lace you have there! are they original? or relaced? I also see its a custom. where can you get your custom with Easton?
Buddy designed it. I had nothing to do with it other than opening the package when it showed up on my door step. Some of the other recipients chose to relace, some let er ride. Im not a huge camel lace guy bc ive seen em turn yellow, but these seem pretty decent so i figure ill let em go and someday when the mood strikes ill try tan or black

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Thanks,

as of now, @glovecowboy on IG can make customs happen. I think hes opened it up for a short period of time to allow some people to order a custom before they are out. Nice way to appease the masses if someone needed to get their hands on one of these things. Not sure about pricing though

Soxfan8

Starting Player
Mizuno and Kubota Slugger rubber ball gloves. Never had one that wasn't perfectly fine for slow pitch softball purposes. Generally, a good value if you're curious about Japanese market gloves.

Last edited:

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
i wish that was true for hardball.... it was rainy so i brought my jap HOH as I dont care a ton what happens to it and man... sucker needs some padding!!! Final verdict was NOT usable with a hardball. Ill try it for softball someday if you guys are happy with yours for that purpose. Good idea and thanks!

pkc31887

Addicted to Softballfans
the nike vapor 360 (with the H web swap) picked up a volt green one for cheap just to try out and ended up becoming my gamer on the mound. Have since acquired 2 white vapor 360's and love the glove. the stiffness is great on the mound and the padding, though thin, absorbs a ton of impact on balls on the palm. Still use the sp125 at short though. vapor is not really ideal for infield because the fingers dont shape well.

David the Gnome

The Veteran
the nike vapor 360 (with the H web swap) picked up a volt green one for cheap just to try out and ended up becoming my gamer on the mound. Have since acquired 2 white vapor 360's and love the glove. the stiffness is great on the mound and the padding, though thin, absorbs a ton of impact on balls on the palm. Still use the sp125 at short though. vapor is not really ideal for infield because the fingers dont shape well.
I picked up one of those when Nike had them on sale super cheap and found the hand stall to be painfully tight. It has sat on the shelf because I just didn't feel up to putting the work in that thing was going to require to break it in. Did you find yours to be like that? I don't have especially large hands either.

pkc31887

Addicted to Softballfans
I picked up one of those when Nike had them on sale super cheap and found the hand stall to be painfully tight. It has sat on the shelf because I just didn't feel up to putting the work in that thing was going to require to break it in. Did you find yours to be like that? I don't have especially large hands either.

Thats odd. mine have been the opposite. I wear an XL batting glove and the volt green vapor had to be tightened up a little in the hand stall but i bought it used so it may have just been stretched out. Of my two white ones, the first one was a little too snug prior to relacing. and the other felt normal. I wear the glove TIP with a batting glove and to me, they feel very comfortable in the handstall so maybe yours just needs to be loosened up.