Any Going back in time

AreJay

Addicted to Softballfans
After reading a different thread on the boards, I wanted an umpire's official ruling on this play/call.

We were in a back and forth battle with a team during a league tourney elimination game. I ask the ump how many outs and he said "Two." The next batter flies out and we go to bat. Our lead off batter triples, we score him on a single and we're tied with a runner on and none out in the top of the seventh. One of the wives of the other team, walks up to the umpire and says "We only made two outs that last inning." The ump proceeds to wipe away our run/runners and we go back in time to the bottom of the sixth with two outs and they finish out batting promptly scoring 8 runs in the bottom half of the frame.

What is the ruling on this? Is our run disallowed because of the umpire's mistake?

Now, same team and us are playing in the same situation four years later. League tourney, different umpire. Official scorer with scoreboard says there is one out. We have a bang-bang double play on a relay from the OF to gun a runner down at third, with a follow up throw to second nailing the runner trying to sneak to second. Scorebook and board (operated by same person) says three..we go to bat. Leadoff batter hits a bomb to cut into the lead, when the SAME wife with a book comes over and says there were only two outs in the last inning. This time, the ump stops things, we go back and finish the previous inning, before coming back to where we left off.

So what is the ruling in these situations?

I don't think it matters who's mistake it is. Once the next pitch is thrown, the game continues. You can't go back in time. What's to stop a team from saying there's 3 outs in the first inning when there isn't, seeing how the game goes for them, and then saying they only got two outs in the first inning? (By your rules, the game would go back to the first inning so that team could get their third out). It makes no sense to do it any other way than to continue the game as is.

buckster

Addicted to Softballfans
If I start an inning, I can't go back and "re-do" anything from the previous inning(s) unless the game is protested and we have to re-start from the point of the protest. Counting outs is not a protestable call.
AreJay said:
I ask the ump how many outs and he said "Two." The next batter flies out and we go to bat.
If anyone has a question on the number of outs, this would be the time to raise those concerns. If someone's wife/daughter/son/etc. came up to me with the book in the midst of the next inning and said "We only made two outs that last inning," I would politely respond "We've started a new inning. Even if a mistake was made we can't correct it now. Let's play ball."

AreJay said:
Official scorer with scoreboard says there is one out. We have a bang-bang double play... Scorebook and board (operated by same person) says three..we go to bat.
If the official scorer has three outs and I concur, there is no way in heck I am letting someone tell me in the middle of the next inning that "We only made two outs that last inning."

Sounds to me like the umpires in these cases are lacking a little in the authority department.