ASA Good Call on Obstruction (I Think)

RelaxedFan

Part Time Player
We all read about questionable calls on this forum, but our Umps made a good call during a game.

No one on base. Batter hits a shallow LF shot. He tries to stretch it out to a double. As he is rounding 1st, my first baseman gets in the way and ump near 2nd puts up his hands for obstruction.
The throw goes to 2nd and the runner is clearly out; however, during his forward progression, the runner slides past 2nd and is tagged again. The Ump at 2nd calls the runner safe. At first, I asked the ump to speak with the head ump behind home plate. They talk it over and rule him safe because a tag was made between 1st and 2nd with the obstruction call (the base he would have made it too). The play become dead once the first tag was made thus making the 2nd tag during a dead ball.

I hope I’m giving credit where needed but I thought it was a great call?!?!

mrcub8

maybe next year!-Cub fans
Obstruction isn't always that easy and clear cut......here's 2 examples from MLB:

Under OBR, there are two types of obstruction. In umpire parlance, they refer to them as Type A and Type B obstruction. It gets these names because the applicable rules are 7.06(a) and 7.06(b).

In a nutshell, the rules regarding Type A obstruction REQUIRE the umpire to kill the play and to award the batter AT LEAST the next base. Type A obstruction occurs whenever a play is being made on the runner at the time of the obstruction. (Examples - A runner trapped in a rundown is obstructed by a fielder -or- a runner attempting to steal is obstructed by a fielder while the catcher is making the throw)

Type B obstruction involves plays where a runner has been obstructed, but there was no immediate play being made on the obstructed runner at the time. In this case, the umpire keeps the ball live and only awards the runner those bases he would have obtained (in the umpire's judgment) had the obstruction not occurred.

So, if the ball was already retrieved by the outfielder and was being thrown toward 2nd base in order to stop the runner's advance at the time of the obstruction - this would be Type A obstruction and the umpire would be compelled to award the runner 2nd base, whether the runner would have made it or not.

If the ball was still being chased by the outfielders at the time of the obstruction, this would be Type B obstruction and the umpire can award the batter anything he thinks he would have obtained had the obstruction not occurred.

Game #3 of the 2003 ALCS between the Red Sox and the A's, oddly enough, featured BOTH types of obstruction.

Jason Varitek, of the Red Sox, got caught in a rundown between 3rd and home. While attempting return to 3rd, he bumps into an A's fielder who did NOT have possession of the ball. Obstruction is called by 3rd base umpire Bill Welke. He immediately killed the play and awarded Varitek home.

Later in the game, Tejada attempted to score from 2nd base on a ball hit into left field. Tejada was obstructed by the Red Sox 3rd baseman. Bill Welke called the obstruction but, since the ball was still rolling toward the left fielder, he allowed the play to continue because no immediate play was being made on Tejada.

Tejada apparently heard the umpire's obstruction call and assumed, like Varitek, he would be awarded home. So he stopped between 3rd and home.

Big mistake!

In Bill Welke's opinion, Tejada would NOT have likely scored even if the obstruction had NOT occurred. So, when Tejada was tagged out ... he was OUT!

Notice how in the first instance the obstructed runner was awarded the NEXT base even though that is NOT the base the runner would have achieved had he not been obstructed. But that is the requirement of a Type A obstruction award. The umpire MUST award, at a minimum, the NEXT base.

The second instance featured Type B obstruction which does NOT require the umpire to award the next base. The umpire keeps the ball live and "awards" the runner whatever base he (the umpire) thinks the runner would have attained had the obstruction not occurred. In the Tejada's case, that was 3rd. So, when Tejada advanced beyond the base to which he was protected, he did so at his own risk.

Two completely different types of obstruction - IN ONE GAME!

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
But in ASA, obstruction is fairly cut and dry. Does the defense have the ball, or are they in the act of fielding a batted ball? No? Then they have to get out of the way. If they don't, AND the runner is impeded, then we have obstruction.

From there, the umpire decides what base the runner would have reached had the obstruction not occurred. Barring an act of interference by that runner, if the runner is put out before that base, OR if the runner is put out between the two bases where the obstruction occurred, the ball is dead. The runner is then awarded the base they would have reached had there been no obstruction, and any affected runners are also awarded the appropriate bases.

Simple, yet so many people love to overcomplicate it.

ok is there an instance where the ump would return him to a previous base.thinking this example,you round 1st,no intention to go to 2nd but you get a piece of the 1b ,all of sudden you take off for 2nd thinking you might have the OBstruc to help ya.i know OBstruc is OBstruc ,but wondering if you would send them back,knowing a well they never would of gone.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
ok is there an instance where the ump would return him to a previous base.thinking this example,you round 1st,no intention to go to 2nd but you get a piece of the 1b ,all of sudden you take off for 2nd thinking you might have the OBstruc to help ya.i know OBstruc is OBstruc ,but wondering if you would send them back,knowing a well they never would of gone.

Yep, absolutely. That's the interpretation taught by ASA.

We do give the runner the benefit of the doubt, but if there's no chance in hell they would have made it, we can't give 'em that base. Put them back on the base they would have safely gotten to.

kinda thought so,thought i had seen it done,but was not sure,thanks,well not really gotta keep my rep.:p