Good idea for glove break in?

Roy Hobbs48

Addicted to Softballfans
What position do you play?
What type of glove is it?
Look on you tube at for a dude named Aso he's a glove maker for Wilson. I used his method minus the water to break my Easton PPK in. I used a 3lb vinyl covered barbell weight that my wife uses when she does aerobics.

I also followed Aso's method (minus the water) and it was great. I only used it as a starting point then played catch. I normally wear a batting glove on my glove hand to tighten the fit but when I was playing catch I did it barehanded so the sweat from my palm helped mold the glove to my hand. I'm not sure about heat or oils. Lots of people swear by them but I would think heat could damage the leather and oil may make the glove heavier.
Just my $0.02

freelanceterry

Addicted to Softballfans
"Never heat a glove to 95*!!!!" - (plays in 95* on a regular basis in the summer)

Raising the glove's temp a few degrees above room temp will be fine and will make it a bit easier/pliable when couch-catching. I think the adverse reaction to heat comes from the people microwaving gloves...or putting them in the dryer for a long time...or actually baking them. A little can go a long way...but when people go to the extreme, then that's when damage is done. Same goes for keeping a glove in a hot, muggy car on a sunny day for 8 hours. Can't be good.

Debating the aso/water method myself right now. Thinking about doing it...but just in the pocket/web...maybe break points. Switched to mesh and it seems to be breaking in a bit quicker/easier anyway...so may skip it.

Mallet/catch/time seems to be the general consensus. Starting with conditioner on super stiff/non-pre-oiled glove seems to be popular...then, as necessary. I'll also throw in my thumbs up for vasoline. Sparingly and then wiped off. Big + to the vasoline is when you do this it does a great job cleaning your glove.
Used pure lanolin in the past with good results...but switched to vasoline when I ran out. No biggie and no real difference that I could tell.

KannonsDad

**** you
Is guess if the Wilson master glove maker uses water, its probably not going to hurt the glove. If done right.

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
Is guess if the Wilson master glove maker uses water, its probably not going to hurt the glove. If done right.

difference is Aso breaks in 2 or 3 gloves a year for Brandon, the guys a millionaire and gets his gloves for free and could care less if they get floppy part way through the season he has back ups that are already broken in for him.

Baseball58558

Addicted to Softballfans
A guy my dad played with a few years ago would put a little vasoline on his glove, put a ball in it and rubberband it closed.. Then he would just throw it in his yard for a few weeks and let the mother nature break it in. He also played AAA baseball in his 20s and he said most of the guys he played with did the same. I gotta say though id never do that.

wyatterp

Addicted to Softballfans
My personal favorite is cheap shaving foam(not gel or anything with oil). Rub it on and toss it in the dryer on a shoe rack on low heat with a ball tied in the pocket, just to get it warm, then I put a bat mallet to the pocket and whammy! Do it 2-3x. Worked like a charm on a Rawlings HOH 1B mitt:). Nice and soft without adding oil or weight!!!

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I just posted this elsewhere, no heat or water needed but it's your glove. I just don't like any shortcuts other than a mallet to the pocket. Most shortcuts come at a cost.

My ritual:

• Lightly condition the glove just to make sure nothing is dry before I start to work it. More attention given to laces. Let it sit overnight.
  • Mallet the pocket while my hand is in the glove TIP.
  • Grab the thumb and pinky stalls, stretch the laces at the top of the glove. Work the top of the web and laces between the web and index finger.
  • Work the natural hinge at the base of the finger stalls and heel.
  • Create a hinge at the base of the thumb to heel junction.
  • Mallet the pocket again while my hand is in the glove TIP, lean on it for a deeper pocket.

I don't work the fingers at all, try to just work the laces, pocket, and hinges. I also don't shoe shine the heel except maybe a little if it's incredibly stiff. Conditioner is only to make sure the glove isn't dry before I start working the leather. I do use a little more vaseline type conditioner on my hand that goes in the hand stall, I like a little more barrier there between my hand sweat and the leather.

Takes me about 2hrs to go through this ritual, can finish it up with pre-game warm up using a 12oz softball. Glove stays stiff, pocket is formed, and the glove closes well.