Good Value Glove

jtcollin

The Veteran
I'm looking into a new glove. I'm trying to buy something that is a good value without breaking the bank. Anybody have any suggestions on something with good quality leather that will last but doesn't cost, let's say more than around $100? I am thinking 13 or 14 inches.

MaverickAH

I'm looking into a new glove. I'm trying to buy something that is a good value without breaking the bank. Anybody have any suggestions on something with good quality leather that will last but doesn't cost, let's say more than around $100? I am thinking 13 or 14 inches.

Possibly the best you can ever do: 151101040462

Built like a tank but a little on the heavy side. Still, worth it at this price.

• Does the glove have to be brand new or just new to you?
  • The other thing that will help your search is if you can drop to 12.75 inches. It'll vastly open up your options.
  • Sticking to "new, around $100 & 12 to 14 inches" will significantly reduce your options when "quality" is brought into the mix.

CountryBoy

Addicted to Softballfans
Possibly the best you can ever do: 151101040462

Built like a tank but a little on the heavy side. Still, worth it at this price.

• Does the glove have to be brand new or just new to you?
  • The other thing that will help your search is if you can drop to 12.75 inches. It'll vastly open up your options.
  • Sticking to "new, around $100 & 12 to 14 inches" will significantly reduce your options when "quality" is brought into the mix.
That's a really nice price!! One of my teammates has a Kelly 12.75 trap he bought for college ball way back when. That thing is still a super nice glove. It's holding up really well.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
I agree with looking at a 12.75...any particular reason you were thinking up to a 14"?

At 12.75 you can go with solid "inexpensive" options like the Easton PPK82BT and the Nike N1 Elite. You can find both of these right around your price range, and they're good quality. If you're willing to go up to $150, you'll have a lot more options though.

jtcollin

The Veteran
I generally play outfield and I currently have a 13" and like it. I had just thought about bumping up that extra inch. I sometimes play first, I was thinking generally a large glove would be fine for this. I had been considering a 12.75 trap style glove, but I was thinking I might want every bit of leather I can get.
I don't mind used. I do think that it would be really nice to be able to try the glove on to see how it fits.

Crusher09

2x Pinewood Derby Champ!
Just keep your eyes open. I just got a nwt Rawlings 303-6jbt on the bay for just over $120 shipped. Lots of good deals out there if your patient.

nissben

Freakin Ninja
Just keep your eyes open. I just got a nwt Rawlings 303-6jbt on the bay for just over $120 shipped. Lots of good deals out there if your patient.

so did i, and theres like one or two more at that price...id jump on it if i were you OP

MaverickAH

I generally play outfield and I currently have a 13" and like it. I had just thought about bumping up that extra inch. I sometimes play first, I was thinking generally a large glove would be fine for this. I had been considering a 12.75 trap style glove, but I was thinking I might want every bit of leather I can get.
I don't mind used. I do think that it would be really nice to be able to try the glove on to see how it fits.

The problem is that your desire to have a 13" & up glove with good leather that lasts comes at a price & that price isn't in you range (at least, "new").

The other issue is that you want to be able to try on. This means you're looking at "store bought". This severely cuts down your options & price flexibility unless you catch a major sale or closeout. The only gloves you're likely to see in 13" & up & of higher quality in a sports store are Nokona & Worth if you're lucky & neither is going to be, "around $100".

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
What are the better 13.5+ gloves, price is no object? I loved my old Demarini Voodoo 13 3/4, but nothing seems like it's held up since then in the bigger sizes from Wilson/Demarini. Like I was pretty much ready to do a custom A2000, but they only go up to 13". So I grabbed an A800 and Diablo in 14" on the cheap. I wasn't impressed with the custom Roddy I picked up years ago, but to be fair it was kinda experimental (they did a split hinge for the first time).

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
What are the better 13.5+ gloves, price is no object? I loved my old Demarini Voodoo 13 3/4, but nothing seems like it's held up since then in the bigger sizes from Wilson/Demarini. Like I was pretty much ready to do a custom A2000, but they only go up to 13". So I grabbed an A800 and Diablo in 14" on the cheap. I wasn't impressed with the custom Roddy I picked up years ago, but to be fair it was kinda experimental (they did a split hinge for the first time).

I'd look at Vinci models if it's got to be that size.

MaverickAH

Cost no object? I'd look at Vinci, Nokona & maybe Worth.

If I had to use something priced at around $100, I'd take a chance on a Boombah based on what I read on here. I have not seen one personally but the reports seem to be favorable. The only negative I've read is regarding no palm padding & that's easily fixable with a batting glove or a Palmgard.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Vicvi makes ther3 13.5" patterns in #22 steer hide , 5 oz kip & and a few CP kip 6 oz. You can also customize in any leather including there Optimus. I know a few others but not many good big gloves.....
Maybe a 13.5" Rawlings but check with them on leather quality....

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
Cost no object? I'd look at Vinci, Nokona & maybe Worth.

If I had to use something priced at around $100, I'd take a chance on a Boombah based on what I read on here. I have not seen one personally but the reports seem to be favorable. The only negative I've read is regarding no palm padding & that's easily fixable with a batting glove or a Palmgard.

The Nokona 14 looked pretty interesting (I prefer the closed webs). $160 ain't bad, thanks for the recommendation.