USSSA Great catch on outside of the fence

Wunbagga

Addicted to Softballfans
Question on a great play I seen last night at the local annual turkey tournament. Defensive team was playing in a five man. Batter was a lefty who hit a line drive shot to center. The center fielder did his best to track it toward the fence. But it hit off the tip of his glove. Hit the yellow corrugated plastic that's on the top of the whole outfield fence. Outfielder jumps, makes a swinging swipe at the ball. While chicken winging the fence. He pinned the ball with his glove on the outside of the fence. Then brought it back over acting as if he caught it. Players and umpires were both confused on what the call should be. I thought it should be a ground rule double. Of course the team batting thought it should be a four base error. Umpires got together to make the call. Ten minutes later they said it was a live play, no catch for an out. So the batter only got a single out of it.

What is the right call for this play?

sd28

Extra Hitter
Batter should have kept running, that had to have taken a lot of time.
I say correct call.

Wunbagga

Addicted to Softballfans
There also was runners on 1st and 2nd. They both only took one base and stopped. Almost made an attempt to go back to their previous base. Because they thought it was a catch.

sjury

The Old Man
The outside the fence and no control, and no catch since it already hit the yellow top of the fence, 4 base error.

Fin09

Addicted to Softballfans
It's a live ball- as long as the ball didn't hit the ground on the other side of the fence. The outfielder can pin the ball against the back side of the fence and bring it back, but that's no catch, and it's not out of play. Where it hits the fence after the fielder touches it doesn't matter. Should have kept running.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
The backside of the fence would be considered as "dead ball area". So, when the ball touches the back side of the fence, it becomes a dead ball.