Has anyone here ever had a sports hernia?

dirtyd

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't know if i have one or not ... Maybe I just pulled my groin.. Can anyone who was diagnosed with a hernia describe the symptoms?..

loaded weapon

Laying Wood
Why dont you describe your symptoms. It not about what other people have..its what you have. some of us here are in the medical field and can offer our opinions.

jstrong

They love to hate me
I thought I had a hernia but my doctor determined it was a torn groin. The difference is surgery versus 6-8 weeks rest.

joncoke

Addicted to Softballfans
I had an umbilical hernia and the bulge was a dead giveaway. I could actually push it back in...

cordo22

Addicted to Softballfans
outpouching of intestines between your abs and your lina alba. Drastic pain when lifting every simple items such as books, milk jug, or jackets. Pain when you inhale deeply..hope this helps.

dirtyd

Addicted to Softballfans
Why dont you describe your symptoms. It not about what other people have..its what you have. some of us here are in the medical field and can offer our opinions.

uncomfortable feeling between legs & pelvic region... not too much of a pain but a squeezing feeling.. when I run I feel like I need to go 1/2 speed to keep from getting really hurt.

dirtyd

Addicted to Softballfans
outpouching of intestines between your abs and your lina alba. Drastic pain when lifting every simple items such as books, milk jug, or jackets. Pain when you inhale deeply..hope this helps.

So the pain was extremely intense just doing the smallest activities? My pain is very dull...

jstrong

They love to hate me
both a groin pull / tear and or a hernia are painful. When I would try getting out of a chair or bed I would cringe in pain.

Hap716

Addicted to Softballfans
i had a lower inguinal incarcerated hernia...pretty much your intestine in your yam bag...just think of what it would feel like getting kicked in the balls by a horse..pretty much the same

loaded weapon

Laying Wood
sounds more like a groin than it does a hernia. Either way, go to the doc and get it checked out because If surgery is needed you will be glad you did. I had to talk my BIL into going because I told him he had a hernia....he just had surgery and prolly never would have went if I had not gotten him too

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
sounds more like a groin than it does a hernia. Either way, go to the doc and get it checked out because If surgery is needed you will be glad you did. I had to talk my BIL into going because I told him he had a hernia....he just had surgery and prolly never would have went if I had not gotten him too

Boyfriend In Life?

SMAC

mmmmmm...beeeer
Groin pull is a sharp pain and generally goes away after a couple of weeks of rest and light rehab. Sports hernia is a usually duller pain that generally comes on gradually and can take months to heal.

MattXT

Addicted to Softballfans
I had an inguinal hernia about 5 years ago. Dove in the outfield playing co-rec and didnt land gracefully: torn ab and the hernia. I didnt know I had it until the pain of the ab subsided and I noticed I had a bulge of intestine that i could push back into the 'hole'. The catch was that the hernia itself was never painful. They stitched a patch in there, ~2 weeks very limited activities then gradually worked back into a normal routine.

xethicx

Addicted to Softballfans
I had inguinal hernia surgery about a year and a half or so ago. A guy on my team pulled his groin bad and thought the same thing. If the pain youre feeling is in your groin youd be noticing your ball bag swelling too cause a hernia is essentially a hole or cut in your abdominal wall. I had, worked and played ball/hockey with a developing hernia for 3 years by the time I got surgery it was pushing out a good inch and a half when I strained. My guess is, you probably pulled your groin however head to your doctor and have it looked at.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
I have same thing right now, went to doc last week Told me she couldn't feel a hernia, and her diagnosis was a groin strain. She told me to take 1800 mg's of Ibuprofren a day, and call her in 2 weeks. After 1 week, pain in groin is pretty much gone, pain in lower abs is about 90% gone. She also said stay active, don't just sit around or scar tissue will form, but only go about 60%, and no explosive movements.

Best thing you could do is go see your doctor, preferably a female doc for obvious reasons.

Illini_Doc_19

Addicted to Softballfans
An actual sports hernia is not like other hernias, there is usually no bulge, lump etc. Its more like a groin pull, except it involves the tendons as the insert onto the pelvic bone. Most of the time you can only tell the difference by getting an MRI. Either way the best thing you can do is ice everyday and rest, if its not getting at least a little better in a couple of weeks then see a general surgeon, they should be able to tell the difference form a regular hernia and a sports hernia

I thought i had a sports hernia at the begining of the season. After a few visits to my regolar doc that got me nowhere, i ended up at the sports doc. He told me that a sports hernia was out of the question because soccer players and hockey players usually get them because of their movements. Recreatoinal athletes usually dont get them. It was a blow to my ego. After xrays and an mri it was just swelling thaw went away with some stretching and some rest. Nothing major.