Has anyone swung an onyx bat?

tonys1

Use the search bar at the top - I don’t know if I’ve seen a thread specific to it, but a few people have commented on them and were really pleased with them.

Wik

Addicted to Softballfans
I won one in a raffle and did a little review after getting some BP in on it. This is just a copy/paste f my review I will share here as I don't want to link the FB group and potentially take away from the conversation here.....

"I got a chance to play some indoor dome ball and take some indoor BP with it.

I currently game a 26 Wegman. This is a 25.5 oz Ha'Aha'A 2pc.

The first thing I noticed is the EL. I am new to Onyx and their bats, wasnt sure how much EL, but it felt more pronounced to me than the Wegman, which is 1oz.

I actually felt that I got better swings going Oppo then middle/pull. That is likely just my swing but overall, great performance. The feel from the handle is smoother than my Wegman, likely because it is a 2pc which are more forgiving. The impact on barrel actually felt relatively similar to my Wegman, which I was very happy with.

Overall, it's obvious to me from the start that although new to me, these Onyx bats are top notch and right there with any Easton, Miken, Worth bats that have dominated U-Trip and GSL for about 3 years. Absolute rocket launcher and glad I got one!"

GTIDUDE

Star Player
I ended up getting a 26.5 oz defender. It's USSSA. Just got it on the 31st. Haven't had time to try it out. But dry swings feel good.

BOLTMAN21

Manager
These bats are a lot better then I expected them to be. Got a mint 1953 to try and liked it so much I got a Defender EL.
Barrel is soft and very responsive. Was up there with my utrip gamer with very low hits.

sreis01

Here's my honest review. I'm 6ft 205 and hit the ball pretty well. I bought 2 onyx bats buying into the hype, The El Presidente 26.5oz(actually weighed 26.7oz) and the 1953 Lefty 25.5oz(actually weighed 25.6 and was gonna be used as a back up bat). Gorgeous bats. Grip is a little thick but that doesn't bother me at all, but its a good tacky grip as well. So lets get on with it, these bats are stupid ridiculous hot right out of the wrapper. If I would have known that I would not have done a bp session with them. Mind you hitting Worth gold dot classic M balls and 44/375's as well with a temperature of 75 degrees here in Texas. So doing the normal break in, hit a few rotate1/4 turn hit a few rotate 1/4 turn etc. About 30 balls in start letting them fly. Like I said bats are hot, ball launches of these and the sound is awesome hitting M's. 50 or so cuts in develop a 4" vertical seam about mid barrel of the bat, performance seems to be there still but I am a little concerned especially only being in about 50 cuts or so. Put away in bag.
I break out the Lefty thinking what happened to the El Presidente was a fluke. Same break in routine. I inspect the barrel after 30 or so cuts, has a huge crack mid barrel and diagonal cracks with composite fray opposite of the other crack. Mind you both these bats were new just taken out of the wrapper. So am I disappointed yes do to the failure of these bats only, but the performance was unreal, never seen bats hit like these out of a wrapper balls absolutely jumped. To me these bats are very brittle., Should only be used with 52"s it looks like, because 44"s and classic M's are breaking them or at least they did mine. Maybe I got unlucky with 2 bats maybe not. My suggestion is, if you purchase one at least pay the money for the warranty. Piece of mind. Relatively new company so maybe they have some bugs to work out but the performance is there just not durability. So would I buy another, In a heartbeat but I would buy the warranty with them this go around. All in all I was about 90 or so cuts in total between the 2 Bats. Just keep that in mind these are game bats only it seems. Thanks.

so in short.
pros
need no break in at all game ready
hot out of wrapper
sounds are amazing
tacky grip
great appearence
weight is right on

cons
not durable
brittle, especially hitting 44's and classics
surprised they are USSSA and not ASA

Last edited:

dunkky

Yeah, this seems like a repeating cycle by the industry nowadays. it would be dumb to buy anything that breaks after 50 swings.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm a little confused. One part of the review he says he was hitting Classic M's....then he later says he was hitting 44's.

Classic M are 40/325....44/375's are not the same thing

Which was it? Or was it a mixture of both? Most bats these days seem to be fragile hitting 44's.

sreis01

I'm a little confused. One part of the review he says he was hitting Classic M's....then he later says he was hitting 44's.

Classic M are 40/325....44/375's are not the same thing

Which was it? Or was it a mixture of both? Most bats these days seem to be fragile hitting 44's.
mixed. Ill fix my post.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
44/375 is harder on bats.....unless temps drop below 65 then the Classic M is potentially worse on them, and gets worse the lower the temp goes
**Speaking about UTrip stamped bats
Most ASA/USA stamped bats say hit 52's only

fowlball75

Addicted to Softballfans
I've hit The Bourgeois( green one) and the Balanced Defender and they held up fine imo. I only hit Classic M's with the Bourgeois in 70 degree weather because it wasn't my bat. Now as for the Defender it started w/ a small sand rattle and I contacted Elite Sports and they said was probably just glue.Well then I went to work on it and put over 400 swings while hitting 52+'s, Icons, Classic M's and something like staduim balls . I have no seams , wobbles or cracks. This bat is one of the Hotter bats you will swing but it won't pass compression.