ASA Hats and Knobcuffs (2 ?'s)

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Had a an ASA (USA Softball) State/National Qualifier this weekend, and we were told two things by the umpires that I scratched my head at.

#1 - Pregame bat check the tournament UIC came through the dugout and stated all the knobcuffs had to also be taped to the handle. We never ran into this in any of our previous tournaments during the bat check. When I asked him when that changed/came into effect and he said 5 years ago. Do the cuffs have to also be taped to the handle?

#2 - One of our players prefers to wear his hat backwards while base running so it doesn't come off. Umpire told him no, must be worn forward facing. Had also never been told this previously. And of course the hat came off every time he got on base. Is this also an ASA/USA rule?

I don't have a rule book handy or I'd look it up myself.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
#1 - Yes, by rule, all bat attachments must be secured with tape. Just put one layer of tape around it to secure it to the handle. The rule doesn't differentiate between attachments that are relatively loose on the bat versus those that are tight, like most Knobcuffs.

#2 - Yes, this is a USA Softball rule.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Thanks. Went through all of 2016 never being told cuffs had to be taped or hats forward.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
The hat thing is umpire specific in my area. Back in my playing days one of the umps around here wouldn't let you play with your hat backwards. He's the only ump I've ever seen care. I'm lucky if the players in my league don't have flipflops on. I can't be bothered to make every one of them fix their caps. If you are playing and the ump tells you to wear your hat right, just do it. And pull your pants up also. :)

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Barring one particular league, if it's league play, I don't get in a twist over hats. The uniform rules are already so relaxed, it seems silly for me to care about what way a hat's facing. Guys are wearing all different shorts and pants, and they're lucky to have a matching shirt that doesn't have the number taped on it. But a backwards hat is too far?

State and National tourneys, however, are different.

bmoses121

Extra Hitter
#2 - One of our players prefers to wear his hat backwards while base running so it doesn't come off. Umpire told him no, must be worn forward facing. Had also never been told this previously. And of course the hat came off every time he got on base. Is this also an ASA/USA rule?
I had the same thing happened to me last year, I ended up cutting the brim off my hat, now I can wear it anyway I choose to and nobody can say anything. Also, it fits great under my pitching helmet.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I had the same thing happened to me last year, I ended up cutting the brim off my hat, now I can wear it anyway I choose to and nobody can say anything. Also, it fits great under my pitching helmet.

Well, yes they can. It must be a ball cap. Ball caps are manufactured with a bill and must be worn properly.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Unless the guy's bald, I fail to see what wearing a brimless cap accomplishes. Reminds me of this guy.

Hat+fail.jpg

dkissane319

Starting Player
During league I am usually that guy that wears his hat backwards in the field because that is just normally how I wear it everyday and I don't like it falling off every time a am chasing down a ball. Same reason on the base paths.

Any time an ump has asked me a turn it around I do with no problem.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
#2 - One of our players prefers to wear his hat backwards while base running so it doesn't come off. Umpire told him no, must be worn forward facing. Had also never been told this previously. And of course the hat came off every time he got on base.

During league I am usually that guy that wears his hat backwards in the field because that is just normally how I wear it everyday and I don't like it falling off every time a am chasing down a ball.

I think they started making hats in different sizes a while ago. Maybe wearing one that fits would help.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
I told him we're gonna get him a chin strap for that thing. When he runs he ends up running head up/back and it just blows off. For it to not come off it would have to be tight enough to cut off the circulation. He wears it normal when batting/fielding. It also usually blows off running to first.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
I think they started making hats in different sizes a while ago. Maybe wearing one that fits would help.

If you have enough hair, a cap will slip up and off no matter what size it is. Hair is pretty good at moving around.